Sign in to follow this  
Mark Barham Appreciation Society

Transfer Window Delusions and Disappointments

When Dean Ashton departed I wasn’t overly concerned because I’d have happily swapped a frequently injured striker for McSheffrey (a much needed and quality attacking midfielder) and Jerome (another seemly hungry forward).

However, as time goes on, I’m disappointed to see that instead of getting proven championship players (okay, Jerome isn’t there yet, but he’s not looking bad so far), we’re likely to have to settle for Premiership nobodies.

I’ve even tried to get enthused about this Colchester striker, and having personally settled for this second best, it now seems we are unlikely to get him either.

Earnshaw is unlikely to want to take the step down, and do we really need yet another short fast striker for Huckerby/Safri/Hughes/whoever to lob the ball straight over the top of from the flanks.  Ashton’s spell with us and those early Premiership days after Iwan has surely shown us that we benefit from a big man up front and how we look lacking without one.

I hate to judge today’s two loanees before they’ve even tried on their shirts, but are they really the answer ?  Davenport looked good at times, but there were other times he clearly lacked experience.  So is a Fulham reserve of a similar age likely to be any better ?  And we already have one young and talented defender waiting in the wings in the form of Shackell (okay, so he’s injured at the moment, but he’s bound to come back before much longer).

With £7.25M to spend (okay so some of it will justifiably be used to pay some off the debts), I was looking forward to at least a couple of worthy signings, but it seems like we’re settling for a couple of Worthy last minute gambles …

"Success to the City club"