Canary dwarf

Betting experts

I got the racing post and most of their betting experts were tipping us as champions ,saying about are strong squad etc and if you really think about it there right ,so its not all doom and gloom ,personally i think we could see a repeat of the last time we was in this division ,ie slow start but go up as champions otbc😁

I agree with you Wacky. However, if you look at the 23 opponents in this season's Championship, I have to say that it's almost impossible for us to finish outside the top 6. If we had to hand pick 3 sides to go up last season to make this league weaker, I would have picked Leeds, Fulham and WBA. 

If you look at the division our realistic competitors are Brentford, Watford, Forest, Derby, Stoke, Swansea, Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Bournemouth. It's hard to see any other side being able to finish above us with our overall squad size and resources. Even among those, Cardiff have nowhere near our overall squad strength. Bournemouth are in serious transition, Boro are a long way off a promotion challenging side at the moment, as are Stoke. 

Get one of our strikers firing, preferably Pukki, and this division is there for the taking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Everyone always tips the relegated sides because it's the easiest choice, but in the last ten seasons, only two of the 30 relegated sides have finished in the top two. It's never as easy as it looks on paper.

Yeah but most of those sides have weakened by selling their best players we haven't. 

1 hour ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Strong squad?? 😂😂

Yeah we looked really strong in our last 11 games of last season!! 

That was then since then we have strengthened and will be playing at a lower level.

17 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

That was then since then we have strengthened and will be playing at a lower level.

Too early to say we have strengthened when we are still potentially liable to lose some / all of the remaining Crown Jewels. In addition, most of the new signings seem unlikely to be first team starters. Even JH who we have forked out a lot of money for by our standards seems doomed to have to.make do with 'cameos' accrding to Mr. Davitt.

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Any chance that these could be the same Racing Post "betting experts" who failed to tip two 100/1 winners and one 40/1 winner this afternoon.

Always a Outsider ! 

when we won it last time we were not favourites ,

we might have great Individuals for this league but they must play as a team 

if they gel we should go up but never easy 

Any chance that these could be the same Racing Post "betting experts" who failed to tip two 100/1 winners and one 40/1 winner this afternoon.

How could they have missed them, they should hang there heads in shame.😁

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Too early to say we have strengthened when we are still potentially liable to lose some / all of the remaining Crown Jewels. In addition, most of the new signings seem unlikely to be first team starters. Even JH who we have forked out a lot of money for by our standards seems doomed to have to.make do with 'cameos' accrding to Mr. Davitt.

I think hugill will have far more than a cameo role this season , your banking on pukki getting back to his best, which I think won't happen , I seriously hope I'm wrong thou😁

I thought you was trying to be funny, but I just checked hr results and your right.

2 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

I thought you was trying to be funny, but I just checked hr results and your right.

Or could it possibly be that if some expert/journalist had been able tip them just like that, they wouldn’t actually have been valued at 100-1 and 40-1.

• Like 1

It's unusual for any tipster to tip anything with form figures of 000000000000, which of course are our current form figures.

To be fair though we did come second in all those matches.

I don't consider the Championship particularly strong this coming season and last night's match confirmed this with a fairly ordinary Watford side failing to impress even though they are also considered among the favourites.

Of course times are unreal atm for obvious reasons, but many of our rivals will be short of cash and therefore unable to strengthen as much as they would normally like to in a Summer window.

We have, thus far, managed to hold on to nearly all our gems and Webber's additions seem mostly impressive, with gaps filled. In many ways it's been business as usual with regards to the window two years ago.

I am hoping that Daniel Farke turns out to be as on the ball as I expect him to be. Fourth year into management, third in the Championship he should have completed his learning process by now. He leans quickly, is no fool and could well turn out to be our biggest asset.

He surely has as strong a squad as any in this league to work with.

13 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Strong squad?? 😂😂

Yep, cos form has never been a thing in football. Also can you name me all the other championship teams with a 4th choice centre back as good as Hanley, or where Herndandez wont start or where Tettey is possibly 3rd choice DM? This doesn't mean it will be a cake walk, and I hate the hubris of some on here given how rarely teams bounce back, but to deny there is strength in depth based on a bad run of games in a league above is also ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Strong squad?? 😂😂

Better squad than what went up two years ago.

The relegated teams usually turn out to be favourites for automatic promotion as they have players with upper level experience, and the newly promoted teams usually turn out favourites for relegation as they often don’t have enough experience at that level. In the 18-19 season newly relegated Stoke were favourites to win the Championship title as they had served about a decade in the PL, although I think they ended up finishing bottom half.

We and Watford are favourites because we have PL experience, a side that tore up the Championship last time in it, and still have a lot of our talent remaining, Watford have a side with good PL experience, and haven’t lost much talent (yet). Brentford are also popular because of how they’ve done in recent seasons, although they’ve also lost some of last season’s talent. Bournemouth are less popular because although they‘ve got PL experience, they’ve lost quite a lot of last season’s talent.

Although we’re favourites to bounce straight back up I certainly wouldn’t bet on it, as very few teams have bounced straight back up in the past decade and the Championship is very unpredictable. The most I can say at the moment about how I think we’ll do this season though is that I can see us finishing top half, but nothing more (may win playoffs, may get automatic promotion, may be champions)

Edited by HazzaJet

I think after watching the Watford reserve team beat Middlesbrough last night and then Birmingham currently beating Brentford it shows what an unpredictable league it is. Watford will lose some players for sure but not all 17 that were not playing last night. Brentford were offered money you couldn't turn down for their striker. We could still lose a couple of players. I can't wait for the window to end so at least we all know where we are squad wise.