Just read this on Sky Sports page

Alex McCarthy will remain the No 1 Saints 'keeper despite Fraser Forster returning from his Celtic loan. Forster or Angus Gunn will be loaned out this season, Hasenhuttl confirmed.

Would you have him back here to challenge Krul. Would love a cheeky bid to get him here as a long term replacement to Krul!

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Obviously I'd take either of them back, but there's no point either of them going from not playing at Southampton to not playing at Norwich.

Yup. 

53 minutes ago, Foxtrot955 said:

After the 7-1 humiliation, I wouldn't have Gunn back!

If we cut players adrift after every embarrassing performance we'd have ended last season without anyone playing for us.

• Confused 1

And we thought we were great for defenders last season and look what happened. Lets hope Krul stays that way all season

31 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

And we thought we were great for defenders last season and look what happened. Lets hope Krul stays that way all season

Gunn was awful last season so why would you think Krul would go backwards but Gunn would become good again ? It amazes me that players that leave our club and become flops are considered better than what we have.

I think Gunn is a good 'keeper. At the current situation, I wouldn't want him here because we have Krul and no reason to replace him. If something were to happen (Krul left), I'd have Gunn back in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

It's amazing how many ex-city keepers are out there that we could try to bring back if we wanted !  Ruddy, Marshall, Forster !

I have to be honest though that Krul has been consistently a top contributor for us, able to perform well behind a leaky defence, solid and making few errors, sometimes bringing off outstanding saves, and a real asset in a penalty shoot out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think Gunn is a good 'keeper. At the current situation, I wouldn't want him here because we have Krul and no reason to replace him. If something were to happen (Krul left), I'd have Gunn back in a heartbeat.

Exactly if anything happened to Krul he left or long term injury i would buy Gunn

i think he is looking for a Place to call Home and stay long term , he clearly loves Norfolk 

If we bought him we would have keeper Position covered for a few years 

I don't get some of you guys.

Angus did a good job for us when he returned on loan, was ever-present and came 3rd in our POTS, off the back of that season he got himself a big money move to Southampton, but because he had a rough season last year, he's suddenly not good enough for us anymore and his career is over???

Just WTF?

He's certainly WAY better competition for Krul than either of McGovern or the totally inexperienced Barden, and whilst Krul absolutely deserves to keep his position as our number 1, the idea that Gunn isn't good enough to at least challenge him is nonsense.

Let's not forget that Angus is still only 24 which is relatively young for a top flight keeper, he's going to make mistakes, he's going to learn from them and as he builds experience, his game will continue to improve.

I'd love to have him back here, but not at the sort of money I expect we'd have to pay.

If we got back into the Prem I'd love to have both Krul and Gunn pushing one another for that number 1 spot. Imagine how great that would be for any academy goalies breaking through also. Working with those guys.

53 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Spot on

In fact if ( highly unlikely ) he was prepared to come back as our number 2 I suspect working alongside Krul would get his goalkeeping  confidence back. 

Thought Forster was excellent during the time he was here, but that was quite a time ago. Angus would be an excellent signing but, would probably only come if we were to get back into the PL. Certainly not to the championship.

14 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

If we cut players adrift after every embarrassing performance we'd have ended last season without anyone playing for us.

Think that went over your head somewhat.

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

I don't get some of you guys.

Angus did a good job for us when he returned on loan, was ever-present and came 3rd in our POTS, off the back of that season he got himself a big money move to Southampton, but because he had a rough season last year, he's suddenly not good enough for us anymore and his career is over???

Just WTF?

He's certainly WAY better competition for Krul than either of McGovern or the totally inexperienced Barden, and whilst Krul absolutely deserves to keep his position as our number 1, the idea that Gunn isn't good enough to at least challenge him is nonsense.

Let's not forget that Angus is still only 24 which is relatively young for a top flight keeper, he's going to make mistakes, he's going to learn from them and as he builds experience, his game will continue to improve.

I'd love to have him back here, but not at the sort of money I expect we'd have to pay.

Angus Gunn is probably on £30k+ a week, and will be looking for first team football.

I agree that we need a better number 2 than McGovern, but we don't need one who is probably earning more than Krul. 

Are you forgetting that Krul just won our POTS award? He's class, we don't need an upgrade. That's what people are saying, that he isn't good enough to oust Tim Krul who is in the form of his life. 

I sense a bit of emotional sentiment in your post. I do get it, a romantic vision of Norwich-born Angus Gunn, son of a legend, becoming a Norwich legend himself. But he needs to be playing regular football to fulfil his potential, perhaps should try and get a season long loan overseas in Belgium or Holland. 

Angus Gunn would be a nice player to sign should we be promoted, initially as number 2 with a view to being long term successor to Tim Krul. Just not even worth talking about when we're in the Championship with a Dutch international. 

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

It's amazing how many ex-city keepers are out there that we could try to bring back if we wanted !  Ruddy, Marshall, Forster !

I have to be honest though that Krul has been consistently a top contributor for us, able to perform well behind a leaky defence, solid and making few errors, sometimes bringing off outstanding saves, and a real asset in a penalty shoot out.

Don't forget Joe Lewis who has been the best keeper in Scotland for years now, and Declan Rudd is a good solid Championship regular.

Jed Steer popular with Villa fans after finally breaking into the side last season, unfortunately suffered a cruel injury last season which held him back, think he was going into this season as their number 2 and they saw him as a serious challenger for the number 1 shirt.

But none of them as good as Tim Krul, possibly our best goalkeeper in modern times (I don't count 80's as modern, so perhaps best keeper since Chris Woods?).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

My feeling that we could use Gunn back isn’t based on any feeing of inadequacy about Tim Krul, who has been outstanding for him. It’s based on who’s behind him in the pecking order, namely McGovern.

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

My feeling that we could use Gunn back isn’t based on any feeing of inadequacy about Tim Krul, who has been outstanding for him. It’s based on who’s behind him in the pecking order, namely McGovern.

I agree with the sentiment but there is zero chance that Gunn would come here to be backup or that we could afford the likely fee and wages for that. If we were to get promoted again, it's a possibility, for them both to fight it out for the position, but I suspect Gunn would want some assurances about being seen as No. 1 if he were to move again.