Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Return to Carrow Road cancelled

27 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So when the next pandemic comes along and it is killing younger people will you have the same view ? 1 death is to many, but it is not just deaths it is the millions being left with kidney failure, heart problems loss of energy and other organ failures.

Pass your comments to the Nurses of the QE in Birmingham who yesterday were in tears when they were told the second wave is here, thanks to people not sticking to social distancing and thinking it’s only the flu. Their stats now stand at 80 admissions of which 9 are in ICU. 2 of those in ICU are in their 20s with no underlying conditions. If you believe this disease is not deadly then go and do some voluntary work in a hospital.

What has been the impact upon Cancer treatments, heart conditions unconnected with Covid, mental health etc. of this huge concentration upon Covid? It took nearly 40 years to get a Polio vaccine. One risk must be balanced sensibly against another. Is that happening?

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

What has been the impact upon Cancer treatments, heart conditions unconnected with Covid, mental health etc. of this huge concentration upon Covid? It took nearly 40 years to get a Polio vaccine. One risk must be balanced sensibly against another. Is that happening?

Nope

people are dying of untreated, undiagnosed conditions in the thousands and it hasn’t been quantified yet. 

the number will be astronomical

covid is sending us back to the Stone Age 

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Nope

people are dying of untreated, undiagnosed conditions in the thousands and it hasn’t been quantified yet. 

the number will be astronomical

covid is sending us back to the Stone Age 

Just to clarify your opinion, do you believe that Covid itself is driving us back to the stone age or simply the media and political reaction to Covid? or maybe both?

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

Just to clarify your opinion, do you believe that Covid itself is driving us back to the stone age or simply the media and political reaction to Covid? or maybe both?

The whole thing doesn’t exactly point towards a rosy future for the west 

but I guess we “deserve it” or whatever 

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

The whole thing doesn’t exactly point towards a rosy future for the west 

but I guess we “deserve it” or whatever 

Perhaps it is a raincheck from an environmental perspective?

If focussed on the west in particular maybe revenge for our smugness?

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps it is a raincheck from an environmental perspective?

If focussed on the west in particular maybe revenge for our smugness?

I feel so much better 

thanks for that

go and talk to China about environmentalism

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I feel so much better 

thanks for that

go and talk to China about environmentalism

Maybe we had better go back to the footie. We won today for the first time in over 6 months. 

26 degrees tomorrow. Celebration barbies all round.

I wouldn't have a problem with the grounds being closed if other places were also closed too.  How can the government justify having places like cinemas, IKEA, Lakeside, large offices open (and completely indoors) and not open up a football ground - which is outside and especially when it's very simple to strictly enforce social distancing in all-seater stadia?  I'm fine with the government imposing restrictions, but there is no logic at all to their mishmash of laws.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Just wat hing NFL some grounds are empty, some third full, how does that work  when they have ten times the cases we do

American states are generally in control of their own laws so the response has varied wildly state to state.

2 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

I wouldn't have a problem with the grounds being closed if other places were also closed too.  How can the government justify having places like cinemas, IKEA, Lakeside, large offices open (and completely indoors) and not open up a football ground - which is outside and especially when it's very simple to strictly enforce social distancing in all-seater stadia?  I'm fine with the government imposing restrictions, but there is no logic at all to their mishmash of laws.

The R number needs to be kept below 1 to stop the number of virus cases increasing (at present it is already over 1 as numbers are rising). 

Each activity we open up has an effect on the R number. I think I saw an estimate that opening up schools and universities would increase R by 0.25. Quite clearly we can't open up everything or numbers would rocket again.

The government therefore can risk opening so much. What they chose to open is based on a political decision. They have decided to open cinemas, IKEA and large offices (to use your examples) rather than football grounds. I would guess that's because those things have a larger positive effect on the economy. To be honest, although I don't tend to agree with much this government does, I think in this instance they are probably right. 

10 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

The R number needs to be kept below 1 to stop the number of virus cases increasing (at present it is already over 1 as numbers are rising). 

Each activity we open up has an effect on the R number. I think I saw an estimate that opening up schools and universities would increase R by 0.25. Quite clearly we can't open up everything or numbers would rocket again.

The government therefore can risk opening so much. What they chose to open is based on a political decision. They have decided to open cinemas, IKEA and large offices (to use your examples) rather than football grounds. I would guess that's because those things have a larger positive effect on the economy. To be honest, although I don't tend to agree with much this government does, I think in this instance they are probably right. 

I completely understand the reasoning (both economic and otherwise) behind opening X or Y, and if only we had a government that had some semblance of a cohesive plan.

I appreciate there are different concerns outside of the stadium, but as an event in itself, from everything I've seen about transmission outside and how to prevent it then a football match socially distanced is far safer than being in an office with people.  We're still only talking about a stadium which is a 1/3 full, and I would argue that it will impact the R far less than other decisions already made.

Lets not forget that clubs at L1/L2 levels aren't likely to have more than 1k-2k fans in the stadium, even Bournemouth will probably be limited to this kind of amount.

19 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I appreciate there are different concerns outside of the stadium, but as an event in itself, from everything I've seen about transmission outside and how to prevent it then a football match socially distanced is far safer than being in an office with people. 

I've no doubt you're right but the political decision is that offices full of people will benefit the economy more than football matches, even if that the impacts the R number to a greater extent. We can't do everything.