Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Interesting article from Pinkun- Newcastle a "great move" for Jamal

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-jamal-lewis-old-boys-martin-jarvis-verdict-1-6831415

Not sure I would wish to play for Steve Bruce or have to join a club run by Mike Ashley but what do I know, I'm not a footballer to be fair.

Despite what some on here would have you believe Newcastle are a proper established Premiership club. Bruce is a clued up manager and they have done some good if unspectacular business in the transfer window. In addition the Saudi deal may well still be on, in which case they may well kick on to be European contenders again. The deal probably means Lewis is made for life.

From his perspective what isn't there to like?

It's a far better move than Liverpool. If he's focused he'll get straight into the team and play every week. Bruce is an experienced hand who tends to like an overlapping full-back, and this close season looks like some shrewd business from the powers that be up there. Fraser and Wilson were definitely two of Bournemouth's best. Throw in an excellent shot-stopper in Dubravka and the enigmatic, exciting Saint-Maximin, and they could definitely cause a few headaches if they can get their attack to fire on a few more cylinders.

I agree with @BigFish - what's not to like?

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's a far better move than Liverpool. If he's focused he'll get straight into the team and play every week. Bruce is an experienced hand who tends to like an overlapping full-back, and this close season looks like some shrewd business from the powers that be up there. Fraser and Wilson were definitely two of Bournemouth's best. Throw in an excellent shot-stopper in Dubravka and the enigmatic, exciting Saint-Maximin, and they could definitely cause a few headaches if they can get their attack to fire on a few more cylinders.

I agree with @BigFish - what's not to like?

Indeed, would still much prefer him at Newcastle than rotting away on the bench at Liverpool.

15m in the hand with addons in the bush is a good deal for us. If he does well at Newcastle then a larger , more moneyed Club will come in for him.  Newcastle  may not be the pinnacle of his career. If it  turns out that's as far as he goes, still good business for us . 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's a far better move than Liverpool. 

Is it, though? 

At Liverpool he would've only been a backup, but even in the worst case scenario he'd be likely to get 10-15 games a season, mainly in the cups, and the crucial thing for me is that if he didn't make it at Liverpool, he'd probably drop down to a club like Newcastle in a couple of years anyway.

Best case scenario at Liverpool would've been that Robertson gets an injury, or maybe a serious loss of form, which allows Lewis a run in the team and he takes the chance.

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is it, though? 

At Liverpool he would've only been a backup, but even in the worst case scenario he'd be likely to get 10-15 games a season, mainly in the cups, and the crucial thing for me is that if he didn't make it at Liverpool, he'd probably drop down to a club like Newcastle in a couple of years anyway.

Best case scenario at Liverpool would've been that Robertson gets an injury, or maybe a serious loss of form, which allows Lewis a run in the team and he takes the chance.

Possibly, but he'd drop with all momentum being stalled if he did in the worst case scenario (or if the chance arose and he had a long run, but never really took it).

I'd say going to Newcastle is a Haaland-esque move. One step up instead of three.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Possibly, but he'd drop with all momentum being stalled if he did in the worst case scenario (or if the chance arose and he had a long run, but never really took it).

I'd say going to Newcastle is a Haaland-esque move. One step up instead of three.

Of course I see that point of view, but if he flops at Newcastle then he's back in the Championship. If he flops at Liverpool, he'd still get another chance in the Premier League. He'd be taking three steps forward but would only take one or two back if it didn't work out. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is it, though? 

Liverpool would have been a much better move for Lewis and I’m sure he would agree. If he was going to be third choice left back then Newcastle might have been better.

He’d have got a decent number of games, including some in the Champions League, at Liverpool working with one of the best coaches in the world.

I reckon that would have been much better for his development than going to a team that is likely to be mid table at best. To get the move up to a big 6 team now Lewis will not only have to do well, but he’ll have to excel like Chilwell did at Leicester. 

Playing games is important for development, but it isn’t the only thing and the level of coaching at Liverpool is probably the best in the world right now. 

As Danny Rose alluded to in his meeting with Jose, being back up is a tough gig as you get no time to find your consistency. Can only see the Liverpool move heading south compared to being first choice at Newcastle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Liverpool would have been a much better move for Lewis and I’m sure he would agree. If he was going to be third choice left back then Newcastle might have been better.

He’d have got a decent number of games, including some in the Champions League, at Liverpool working with one of the best coaches in the world.

I reckon that would have been much better for his development than going to a team that is likely to be mid table at best. To get the move up to a big 6 team now Lewis will not only have to do well, but he’ll have to excel like Chilwell did at Leicester. 

Playing games is important for development, but it isn’t the only thing and the level of coaching at Liverpool is probably the best in the world right now. 

Lewis wasn't making a choice between Liverpool or Newcastle. Liverpool were never interested enough to offer the required fee and it appears already had the Greek fella lined up. Maybe they thought if they could get him cheap he would be a useful 3rd choice. Maybe it was insurance in case that deal fell through. If Robertson got seriously injured there is nothing to say Liverpool wouldn't have gone out and bought another first choice. You might as well have said that Bayern Munich would have been a much better move for Lewis.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Lewis wasn't making a choice between Liverpool or Newcastle. Liverpool were never interested enough to offer the required fee and it appears already had the Greek fella lined up. Maybe they thought if they could get him cheap he would be a useful 3rd choice. Maybe it was insurance in case that deal fell through. If Robertson got seriously injured there is nothing to say Liverpool wouldn't have gone out and bought another first choice. You might as well have said that Bayern Munich would have been a much better move for Lewis.

I know - but my response was to the claim that Newcastle was a 'far better move than Liverpool' which it clearly isn't.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We know that, but we're speaking about 'what ifs'. Liverpool would've, hypothetically, been a better move than Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I know - but my response was to the claim that Newcastle was a 'far better move than Liverpool' which it clearly isn't.

Fair point guys and fwiw I agree with you 😀

From Lewis point of view  Liverpool would have been the better move... top side , top( though irritating) Head coach/ manager. Nothing is certain and he may well have been bought as back up.... he was back up for us then took his chance with both hands/feet. 

From City's  point of view it's all about the moolah, and we got a decent chunk for Jamal imo. With the potential for more if he's  successful.  

What would really tickle me pink  ? Lewis is outstanding  at Newcastle and liverpool  really really needing a homegrown left back in a couple of years time and end up paying 35/ 40 million  for him. Now , with a big bit of that coming  back to us , to get us/close to the 20 m we wanted and them paying nearly twice what they  could have got him for..... that would be sweet indeed. 

G' Luck Jamal thanks for the memories and  your contribution  to the rebuild, both on the pitch and on the bank balance. Onwards and upwards  for you and us.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Of course I see that point of view, but if he flops at Newcastle then he's back in the Championship. If he flops at Liverpool, he'd still get another chance in the Premier League. He'd be taking three steps forward but would only take one or two back if it didn't work out. 

Percentages, basically. I certainly agree that your stance is possible, but would say he's far more chance of getting settled in as a regular first-teamer at Newcastle and showing his ability there. As was mentioned before, it's harder to get a rhythm going when you're a back-up, and no disrespect to Lewis, he's not getting past Robertson at this stage of his career.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Percentages, basically. I certainly agree that your stance is possible, but would say he's far more chance of getting settled in as a regular first-teamer at Newcastle and showing his ability there. As was mentioned before, it's harder to get a rhythm going when you're a back-up, and no disrespect to Lewis, he's not getting past Robertson at this stage of his career.

Unless Robertson gets injured, in which case Lewis would become first choice for a period of time.

And besides, nobody really expected Robertson to make much impact at Liverpool either. He looked decent in a relegated Hull side but many eyebrows were raised when Liverpool bought him, and he was seemingly a million miles away from being able to hold down a regular place, but look what happened.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Unless Robertson gets injured, in which case Lewis would become first choice for a period of time.

And besides, nobody really expected Robertson to make much impact at Liverpool either. He looked decent in a relegated Hull side but many eyebrows were raised when Liverpool bought him, and he was seemingly a million miles away from being able to hold down a regular place, but look what happened.

I think that might need a little questioning, didn't Liverpool need a left-back at the time? I certainly remember that they'd had a few real problems in that position and James Milner had stepped in to help out. Alberto Moreno had been first choice for a few years after Fabio Aurelio if my memory serves me correctly, but I'm fairly sure I remember him being seen as a fairly consistent weak link!

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think that might need a little questioning, didn't Liverpool need a left-back at the time? I certainly remember that they'd had a few real problems in that position and James Milner had stepped in to help out. Alberto Moreno had been first choice for a few years after Fabio Aurelio if my memory serves me correctly, but I'm fairly sure I remember him being seen as a fairly consistent weak link!

Moreno had never really convinced, but he was still first choice when Robertson joined. Robertson started off as backup, and took Moreno's place around halfway through the season.

Liverpool needed a left back that summer, as they did this year, but in both cases they were looking for a second choice.

35 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Moreno had never really convinced, but he was still first choice when Robertson joined. Robertson started off as backup, and took Moreno's place around halfway through the season.

Liverpool needed a left back that summer, as they did this year, but in both cases they were looking for a second choice.

Moreno was first choice but had dropped a heck of a lot of errors before Robertson was signed. I think I'm questioning that bit in bold pretty hard.

We'll put it this way though. Robertson had far better chances of getting past Moreno in terms of ability at the time he was hauled in than Lewis did of getting past Robertson when Liverpool made their bid for him.