Sign in to follow this  
utb

Boro fan in peace

Thought I would wish you luck for the new season apart from when you play us and give you the lowdown on your new signing.

Ben Gibson was absolutely superb for Boro,he is an out and out defender who leads by example and  gives everything on the pitch.

He was our stand out player when we were in the Premier league and we all expected he would end up at a top 6 club when we were relegated, Ben paid the price for being too loyal the following season and his form dipped.

His move to Burnley was a disaster for a lad who likes nothing more than playing and I have no doubts whatsoever that once he's regained his match sharpness there will not be a better defender in the championship. 

I just like all Boro fans wish we could have afforded his return. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, utb said:

He was our stand out player when we were in the Premier league and we all expected he would end up at a top 6 club when we were relegated, Ben paid the price for being too loyal the following season and his form dipped.

Thanks for your info.  As you say he was being loyal by staying, but can you explain why you think his form dipped?  You would have expected maybe that he would have been stronger after relegation...or was it the whole team that struggled?

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Thanks for your info.  As you say he was being loyal by staying, but can you explain why you think his form dipped?  You would have expected maybe that he would have been stronger after relegation...or was it the whole team that struggled?

Losing mentality will create self doubt, hence performances on the pitch being below standard

Ben had spent his career dreaming of playing in the Premier league with Boro and ultimately playing for his country,when we got there he was comfortably our best player and took to the Premier league like a duck to water so much so he was rightly called into the England squad.

After relegation the whole squad suffered a massive hangover and the new manager Monk tried to make too many changes too soon,whilst Ben continued to give everything, his form dipped for the first time and understandably his head was turned from being in the England squad to being back in the championship. 

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good luck pal- Good to see a boro fan that's still not salty over 5 years ago

To be fair I remember them taking it on the chin well and all of them wishing us luck after the game, there's never been any rivalry between our clubs either that i can remember anyway. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Losing mentality will create self doubt, hence performances on the pitch being below standard

Should feel at home here then

Any club that finishes above Norwich this season will be promoted in my opinion, very well run club with an excellent manager who looks to have made some very good signings.

I see Norwich and my club as very similar, well run clubs with with a very strong family feel and strong sense of community. 

The hardest thing for me as a supporter is not being able to go to matches, as a season ticket holder of over 40 years, going to the match is part and parcel of every day existence. 

The sooner we can find an effective vaccine and get back to normality the better, crazy, crazy times we are living in.

• Like 12

I really hope he is everything you say he is and that he finds match fitness quickly. 

If Godfrey and Gibson could make a good partnership then we would be in a really good place. Gibson can mentor and share his experience and help Ben to improve. 

And having a back up pairing in Hanley and Zimbo is excellent. 

21 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Great club, great fans, great sense of humour 👌

Put me down for a barmcake in Yarm anytime @utb 😊👍🏽

Parma 

Thought you’d be going for a Parmo in Yarm. I have a couple mates live in Yarm.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

I really hope he is everything you say he is and that he finds match fitness quickly. 

If Godfrey and Gibson could make a good partnership then we would be in a really good place. Gibson can mentor and share his experience and help Ben to improve. 

And having a back up pairing in Hanley and Zimbo is excellent. 

That’s if Hanley ever stays fit......but with Zimbo Godfrey and Gibson it does look strong.

The tale of Gibson, an excellent young player suffering a hangover after relegation and being unable to capture his best form, is a cautionary one that we need to be very wary of. It also explains why so few relegated sides are able to go straight back up, despite fans' expectations.

1 hour ago, utb said:

Thought I would wish you luck for the new season apart from when you play us and give you the lowdown on your new signing.

Ben Gibson was absolutely superb for Boro,he is an out and out defender who leads by example and  gives everything on the pitch.

His move to Burnley was a disaster for a lad who likes nothing more than playing and I have no doubts whatsoever that once he's regained his match sharpness there will not be a better defender in the championship. 

I just like all Boro fans wish we could have afforded his return. 

Would you like Hanley? If he actually stays fit enough to have a run of games does do a decent job, nothing special a bit of an old fashioned cart horse type, but solid enough.

Good luck to Bori too, have too mates in Yarm who are regulars at Boro. Haven’t been up there for years.

Nice to see Boro come back a bit. I think a fair few fans were hoping Woodgate would turn out to be a successful manager with them with the romance involved of a hometown hero coming back and managing them to glory, but sadly it wasn't to be. That said, ANY Warnock team will inevitably be a, in the nicest possible way, pain in the bloody **** chute at Championship level and a very hard one to beat.

I do think with a couple of signings you guys could be one of those teams that jumps quite a bit compared to the previous season and end up right in the mixer, along with Stoke. Good luck for the season, apart from the two games against us.

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

To be fair I remember them taking it on the chin well and all of them wishing us luck after the game, there's never been any rivalry between our clubs either that i can remember anyway. 

Before the game there was lots of banter, got plenty of good-natured abuse on my trip around London (Norwich shirt with my name on the back), their confidence that day was bordering on arrogance (and to be fair, they'd done the double over us that season so they had grounds) but after the game they were deflated and mostly accepting. Didn't see or experience any trouble on the day and to be honest, haven't really felt much bitterness from their fans since, they knew on the day they were well beaten.

We have literally wasted a year having the village idiot managing our club, now we've got a proper manager in charge optimism is creeping back in,with some decent signings the aim would be top 10,not a cat in hells chance of top 2 with current squad.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Thought you’d be going for a Parmo in Yarm. I have a couple mates live in Yarm.

Parmos are horrible, really, really horrible! (Sorry UTB).

@utb What is your opinion of Hugill? I live about 20 minutes from Middlesbrough and every Boro fan that talked to me (apart from one) mocked regarding the signing and the word carthorse was used repeatedly. They also echo your comments about Gibson. 

Hugill tried his best but ultimately was poor for us,he played like he was wearing a pair of wellies,he had a good season last year including a cracker at the Riverside so hopefully he continues that form for you.

Good lad all the same

I think Middlesbrough will be one of the teams to be right in the mix this season. Warnock is a shrewd operator and knows exactly  what he is doing. 

Always good to hear from another fan, thanks for the info and good luck for the season.

Clearly Gibson is in that familiar mould of a Farke / Webber signing; a player who has fallen short of previous potential / expectation and is looking to reignite his career somewhat. I.e. Pukki, Leitner, Trybull, Steipermann, Rupp, Krul etc. 

Let's hope Farke can steady the ship with him this season and bring the return of previous form. Interesting that if we fail this season we will be left with a squad of Ben Gibsons...

It sounds like Ben Gibson has the right character to succeed. He almost sounds like another version of Zimmerman, but arguably better providing he can rediscover his old form. I suspect we wont see him play for 4-6 weeks until he gets up to speed.

26 minutes ago, Tumbleweed said:

I think Middlesbrough will be one of the teams to be right in the mix this season. Warnock is a shrewd operator and knows exactly  what he is doing. 

I don't think they will; I don't rate Warnock or his style of play. However, the perfect season for me would be City and Boro top two (obviously in that order), but unfortunately, I think they look destined for mid-table.

I was there that day, AJT is certainly not representing our fan base with his comments, his rant at Elland Road was comedy gold to be fair.

Never had a problem with Boro fans, APART from one ginger lad, who, after beating us 1-0 at Carrow Road, in the Wembley season behaved like they'd won the League that night. 

Funny enough, I didn't catch sight of him at Wembley...

I don’t mind opposition fans on here provided they have the decency that you have - to be respectful. In the 09-10 season when we were in League One we got 2 Leeds Utd fans on here. One didn’t post much but when he did he was fine, another who called himself “Spainboy” constantly drove us up the wall as we were fighting against Leeds for the title for a very long time.

Leeds went on a very good FA cup run including a win at Old Trafford, and he said things like “you’ll never get past us now!” Spainboy eventually disappeared (guess he got kicked out) and Leeds’ cup run provided as a distraction for them, allowing us to win the title. Spainboy did at least have the decency to come back at the end of the season under a different name to apologise for what he’d said though

Thank you for your info about Gibson and wishes UTB - good luck to you too (apart from when we play each other of course!). I can never really predict how a team will do at the start of the season as you don’t know how strong the other teams are going to turn out and anything can happen (eg injuries) with Wednesday having gone into administration, personally I can’t see either of us battling against relegation and think we both stand quite good chances of getting top half finishes

As I've said before on here, was welcomed with my late dad into their supporters club at Ayresome in Ron Saunders'' promotion season, we lost 1-0 but it almost didn't matter in the scheme of things. Don't like Warnock but one things for sure no team will look forward to playing Boro with him in charge and it would be no surprise to see them in the mix at the end of the season.

In response to Boro being in the mix next season ,we stayed up on the final day and have since lost 10 players and have signed only 1.

Without signings midtable would be wildly optimistic. 

The longer you are out of the Premier league the harder it is to get back,we gambled big time and failed at the first attempt, i think Norwich will be the team everyone has to finish above.