Rabbit hole

Todd Can’twell

I think it’s a fair comment and I agree. Last season he built up a head of steam in pre season, deserved his start against Liverpool on the opening day and didn’t look back.

I think Dowell and Placheta have done that this season and Todd hasn’t looked good. In either an England or Norwich shirt. 

Young player in slight dip in form shocker after a difficult club but successful personally, season. Let's give him a few games eh?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Waveneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey where are you ?

It's your Dinnertime  Waveyo, dont forget to wash your hands. Its Scampi... your  favourite. 

I’ve always regarded Max and Jamal as model young  professional players. Todd has that edge about him which means he wants to stand out from the crowd. Olivera’s antics at Fulham and Cantwell posing on the grass at Carrow Rd at the end of the season we’re both acts of defiance it could be said. Not wise  for a young professional trying to make his way.

The bar has been raised with new player addictions. Let’s see what he’s made of.

20 minutes ago, Rabbit hole said:

Anyone else feel he hasn’t looked good this summer?

12 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I think it’s a fair comment and I agree. Last season he built up a head of steam in pre season, deserved his start against Liverpool on the opening day and didn’t look back.

I think Dowell and Placheta have done that this season and Todd hasn’t looked good. In either an England or Norwich shirt. 

I think it's a fairly established principle - you can't judge anything on pre season.

Didn't Drmic score a hat full last pre season?

Just now, TheGoogler said:

I think it's a fairly established principle - you can't judge anything on pre season.

Didn't Drmic score a hat full last pre season?

Maybe, but I remember Pukki looking great in pre season and that was played down as well. Useful barometer for match sharpness.

He will be in the building come the weekend and I am very confident he won’t be starting. 

35 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Waveneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey where are you ?

39 minutes ago, Rabbit hole said:

Anyone else feel he hasn’t looked good this summer?

There he is.

• Like 1

I’d still start him but at least he has some competition this year.

max on the other hand looks fantastic unlike during the season. He has got his legs back and looks strong and pacey 

22 minutes ago, Rabbit hole said:

I’d still start him but at least he has some competition this year.

max on the other hand looks fantastic unlike during the season. He has got his legs back and looks strong and pacey 

If there is one thing Cantwell needs to work on is pace. Prior to Placheta the only pacy winger we had was hernandez.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

If there is one thing Cantwell needs to work on is pace. Prior to Placheta the only pacy winger we had was hernandez.

Can you work much on pace though? Isn’t it more of a case that you have either have it or you don’t?

5 minutes ago, Grando said:

Can you work much on pace though? Isn’t it more of a case that you have either have it or you don’t?

Pretty much, you can improve  running technique  etc but it ain't gonna turn Snoddy into Usain Bolt.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Pretty much, you can improve  running technique  etc but it ain't gonna turn Snoddy into Usain Bolt.

You can also do some heavy weights for low reps in order to build some fast-twitch muscle fibres. It could improve pace a little bit but as has been said, it's often something you either have or you don't.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

Cantwell is a great player to have at our disposal this season I really wish our fans would back him more as he could do great things for us this season instead of whipping him for his choice of gloves/headband. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clarkson said:

Cantwell is a great player to have at our disposal this season I really wish our fans would back him more as he could do great things for us this season instead of whipping him for his choice of gloves/headband. 

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with his gloves amd headband, but his taste in music is a bit ****e.

How can anyone know how hes performed pre season? We've not been able to watch for the most part.

Cantwell gets a hard time by some for seemingly no reason. Has Aarons had a particularly good pre season? Godfrey? Buendia? But Cantwell pulls the short straw.

• Like 3

Yep - scapegoat number 1 for the season has already been decided, it seems, when  we haven’t even played a game yet.
 And to think, someone the other day tried to suggest that of our youngsters it was Jamal that was given a hard time....

On the back of 12 straight defeats I would forgive any of our ‘regulars’ from last season looking dejected especially after a short break. Get behind our lads as we could do great things this season instead of being on there back before a ball was kicked 

• Thanks 1

Young players will always go through peaks and troughs in their development as that is a fundamental part of how they learn the ropes. Consistency often comes with experience. Cantwell's arguably the most junior of our four home-grown jewels (well, three now Lewis went, so I speak about Aarons, Cantwell, and Godfrey now) when it comes to first-team experience and he does possess a more creative skillset.

I would always hypothesise that creative players are more likely to have longer "funks" than players who have a much more basic and physical game simply as there's a lot more that can go wrong. I agree he's not looked ultra-sharp, but also bear in mind that the likes of Martin and Placheta have also looked pretty tasty so far.

I'm pretty sure the competition will spur him on. As indeed will the sale of Lewis. Ready-made motivator right there. Pull the socks up and play well, and that's a decent step on the way back to the Premiership - either with us or with a bid from another team.

In short, I'd say this is more reason to encourage him than criticise.

I don’t know about this summer, I never like to judge much how a player’s season will be by their pre-season performance as I have no idea of the comparison in strength of a lot of the sides and you also don’t know what squad strength they’re putting out - are they going to start with most of their youngsters to give them a trial? Are they going to play all of their first choice outfield players, but give their academy goalkeeper a game?

It’s not hard when we play a non-league team or a team that’s qualified for Europe like Atalanta last summer, but is the Bundesliga 2 roughly the same strength as our Championship? In the past Celtic and Rangers have wanted to move from the SPL to our PL but if they did do you really think they would be strong contenders for the title every season? Personally I think that some of the SPL sides would struggle in our Championship. The whole reason Celtic are so poor in Europe every season is because there’s barely any competition in the SPL so their players don’t get the experience they need

Drmic scored a hat trick last summer so why was he so poor in the league?

Michael Theoklitos came from an Australian 1st tier team but he wasn’t even good enough for our 3rd tier

I think it’s ok to fully judge skills that can’t be changed by opposition strength like pace and communication, but I only judge skills like shooting and defending slightly as I don’t really know how strong the opposition’s defence/attack is

However, I know we were unbeaten in pre season and only conceded in one game, but I wouldn’t use any of that to predict how our defending will turn out to be this season, although last weekend Luton hadn’t registered a shot on target until Klose went off and I think their goals were also their only shots on target, which does make things sound a bit more positive

53 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yep - scapegoat number 1 for the season has already been decided, it seems, when  we haven’t even played a game yet.
 And to think, someone the other day tried to suggest that of our youngsters it was Jamal that was given a hard time....

*somewhere in the background, Lukas Rupp can be heard breathing a huge sigh of relief*

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

*somewhere in the background, Lukas Rupp can be heard breathing a huge sigh of relief*

... as Kenny McLean sidles out of the room...

It’s all to play for still.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 2

I'm old school, I support all Norwich City players (and the good guys who have moved on - thanks for your work Jamal). I know,  boring. But true. Roll on Saturday 😍