Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

If You Want to Know What a Fire Sale Looks Like...

Bournemouth!

They've just sold Callum Wilson for £20 million (on top of Nathan Ake, Aaron Ramsdale and letting Ryan Fraser go on a free).

And they're lining up Wilson's replacement............. drum roll....................................................

Yes, none other than Ipswich Tahn's Kayden Jackson............ honest. (No sniggering at the back).

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/38667/town-reject-bournemouth-bid-for-jackson--reports

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Bournemouth!

They've just sold Callum Wilson for £20 million (on top of Nathan Ake, Aaron Ramsdale and letting Ryan Fraser go on a free).

And they're lining up Wilson's replacement............. drum roll....................................................

Yes, none other than Ipswich Tahn's Kayden Jackson............ honest. (No sniggering at the back).

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/38667/town-reject-bournemouth-bid-for-jackson--reports

Fraser was a free agent, they got decent money for the other players so technically it's not a 'fire sale'.

They are selling players after relegation.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Fraser was a free agent, they got decent money for the other players so technically it's not a 'fire sale'.

They are selling players after relegation.

Well I'm sure there would be uproar on here if one of our best players walked away for nothing as Fraser has done at Bournemouth. As for decent money - there's been a lot of comparison on the Ollie Watkins to Villa thread of the fee that Bournemouth got for England international Callum Wilson compared to what Brentford got for 'never played in the Premier League' Watkins. 

The reason I called it a 'fire sale' is because it looks at though the vast majority of the money they're getting in is going to be spent plugging financial holes - hence why they're looking to buy Kayden Jackson as a replacement for Wilson. 

While they’re getting good money so far (Fraser excepted) the fact that they’re not spending to bring in new players and selling pretty much all their EPL talent does suggest they’ll struggle.

Interesting to see you use the phraseology fire sale.

I say that because one of the big Delia haters on one of the Facebook groups has just announced the start of our 'fire sale' because we've sold Lewis.

Real shame as they are a great little club and successful in staying in the Premier League for several years whilst playing great football......until the wheels came off last season. 

Hope they don't 'do a Wigan' but I fear that you may be right Wavey. 

Sheesh, just looked at the Bournemouth squad. They still have some capable Championship players but if they lose too many more they could really struggle. Currently they have 23 players in their squad.

5 of those are relatively untried youngsters around 20 years of age on average. And a few others who have a bit more experience but not in the Prem.

Part of me wonders if Godfrey is to go, that we put in a cheeky bid for Steve Cook. I know he's 29 but he knows his way around this division and the Prem.

What are they thinking with Kayden Jackson? Ignoring who he currently plays for he has never been anything but a decent L1 level striker, he's not young either, he'll be 27 soon. He's not tall or particularly quick or technically gifted. Really, really bizarre. Imagine if we sold Emi Buendia and replaced him with Jon Nolan  Same thing pretty much, this board would melt down!

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

5 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Real shame as they are a great little club and successful in staying in the Premier League for several years whilst playing great football......until the wheels came off last season. 

Hope they don't 'do a Wigan' but I fear that you may be right Wavey. 

I have a little pet hate about this. They are a 'little' club. And the only reason they achieved such a lofty position is their owner. They broke the FFP rules to get into the premier league and had their fine reduced after appeal.

I have no sympathy for them, much like Wigan. They have a much inflated league position well above their actual means. Howe and the set up he had was a major part of the reason they got as far as they did. But they also made a lot of mistakes on the way.

Selling us Grabban and then buying him back for more than twice the amount. Afobe set them back £10million which meant 60ish appearances, around half as subs with a return of 10 goals. They then spent a rumoured £19million on Solanke, to be fair to the lad, he's days off 23, but 3 goals in 40+ appearances... he's going to have to improve on that this season that's for sure.

20 minutes ago, chicken said:

I have a little pet hate about this. They are a 'little' club. And the only reason they achieved such a lofty position is their owner. They broke the FFP rules to get into the premier league and had their fine reduced after appeal.

I have no sympathy for them, much like Wigan. They have a much inflated league position well above their actual means. Howe and the set up he had was a major part of the reason they got as far as they did. But they also made a lot of mistakes on the way.

Selling us Grabban and then buying him back for more than twice the amount. Afobe set them back £10million which meant 60ish appearances, around half as subs with a return of 10 goals. They then spent a rumoured £19million on Solanke, to be fair to the lad, he's days off 23, but 3 goals in 40+ appearances... he's going to have to improve on that this season that's for sure.

And what makes you think that they are any different from any other club promoted to the Premier League in the past 10 yeara that were not self financing? 

I was merely pointing out that a perceived 'small' club had made job of staying in the Premier League for many seasons whilst playing attractive football and in my eyes that's a rwal shame. 

I would certainly rather see Bournemouth in the top League than dirty Leeds! 

• Like 1

They are different because they would still be a league 2 / league 1 club, often found wandering between those two leagues. They also historically struggled to fill Dean Court, a stadium of less than 11,500 seats. In fact, even in their promotion season from the Championship they regularly failed to sell out.

I don't care how big a club is, if they cheat to get somewhere, they are cheats. Yes, they played nice football. But they did it with players purchased beyond their means.

Leeds... the biggest issue with Leeds is this silly sleeping giants attitude. They are a sizeable provincial side really, but not huge, certainly no giants. They might have been once. 18 years of ridiculous hype. But at least they have a fan base. We don't have to like them but like us, at least they can get more than 10k gates average in the Championship...