Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

New Brentford Stadium Pics

I quite the design of it. It’s genuinely nice to see stadiums with a uniqueness or originality to them. I hope the days of charmless ‘generic bowls’ are a thing of the past. I’m just thankful we didn’t opt to change our stadium during that era. Long live unique stands, bespoke designs and Carrow Road!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Here’s hoping. 

No, but it's much nearer to Kew Bridge and nearer to the Strand on the Green, so there are actually some amazingly fine pubs nearer than they were before 🙂

Much nearer? I've been past it on the coach a couple of times and I could have sworn it's practically next door to the old ground?

I quite like it and its always better when clubs build a stadium with a realistic capacity for their needs, rather than one which sits half empty in the hope that they'll be able to fill it in the distant future. 

I like the Rotherham stadium for similar reasons.

And I think they've been clever with the roof design and seating colours to make it look larger than it is, and love the way they've built the stands so close to the pitch, replicating the feel of old school grounds rather than this horrible modern trend of having a large gap around the perimeter of the pitch. 

Could imagine a decent atmosphere in that ground.

7.5/10, good effort by modern standards. 

Seats do look like they belong to Bradford City though.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Looks strangely old fashioned to me.  As for those corners not being infilled, I think that is a mistake, as it will be acoustically inferior with less atomosphere.  There is a reason why bowl shapes work - the sound is held within the stadium and is magnified, creating better conditions for supporting.  Also the wind factor will be an issue there without infills.  To build a new stadium with gaps like that is a bit flawed imo.

Lovely looking new stadium, and it's not a plastic 'modern ' toliet bowl copy and paste design so thats a big plus.

Shame about the awful seats, honestly feel like they made them that way to make the stadium look like it has a higher attendance..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Looks strangely old fashioned to me.  As for those corners not being infilled, I think that is a mistake, as it will be acoustically inferior with less atomosphere.  There is a reason why bowl shapes work - the sound is held within the stadium and is magnified, creating better conditions for supporting.  Also the wind factor will be an issue there without infills.  To build a new stadium with gaps like that is a bit flawed imo.

The better atmospheres still seem to be in the old school grounds rather than bowls, and even the ones without corners. 

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The better atmospheres still seem to be in the old school grounds rather than bowls, and even the ones without corners. 

Not for everyone in the ground. People on the edges of old school grounds don't get the same benefit as others more central.

I do agree about some of the bowl shapes, some of which are not designed to enhance acoustics - but in a good design, acoustics are taken as one of the main considerations.......unfortunately, for many of them, acoustic properties are too far down the list of requirements.

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I tend to find the atmosphere is best at the old grounds which are compact and close to the pitch.

I'm thinking Barnsley, Crystal Palace, Charlton, QPR, love all those away days. 

Looks like they've tried to achieve the modern version of that here, would be a good one to tick off and hopefully this means a better away allocation. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Looks like they've tried to achieve the modern version of that here, would be a good one to tick off and hopefully this means a better away allocation. 

I read off that website I look at for away days that the allocation is 2,000. Since we play them there in late October I doubt we will get to visit until next season unless we draw them in the FA Cup.

14 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I read off that website I look at for away days that the allocation is 2,000. Since we play them there in late October I doubt we will get to visit until next season unless we draw them in the FA Cup.

Any time in the 50 years that I'm planning to remain alive will be fine, within the next 10 years a bonus.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The Corners are like that because the ground is in the middle of a triangle of THREE railway lines which cut right up against the corners of the ground (or to put it more  accurately the ground was squeezed into a triangle of land between three railway lines).  Nothing to do with choosing the design, the land prices in London put paid to that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The Corners are like that because the ground is in the middle of a triangle of THREE railway lines which cut right up against the corners of the ground (or to put it more  accurately the ground was squeezed into a triangle of land between three railway lines).  Nothing to do with choosing the design, the land prices in London put paid to that.

Good info. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good info. Thanks.

Have a look on Google maps, its a modern miracle how they managed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I’d have to disagree with the acoustics part, Lakey. And if anything, the atmosphere in generic bowls seems to be a bit flat. I once read a piece from a sports architect that basically said individuality of a stand creates a sense of identity for those in it, that creates a bigger sense of togetherness – thus affecting the noise. This would make sense with older stadiums having the “noisy side” (ie The Barclay, The Shed, The Kop, Homesdale Road End etc). Anyone that’s been to Arsenal, Southampton, Derby, know that it can be an odd experience with patches of cheering and songs. Arsenal, particularly, built their roof incorrectly concave, meaning the sound is muffled (and I’m not mentioning the poor view issues).

That’s why when they built the New White Hart Lane, they asked the architect to make each stand more unique and spent millions on developing a roof that reflects the sound inward. There was a wonderful Richard Hammond documentary on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Have a look on Google maps, its a modern miracle how they managed it.

Wow, that makes me like the stadium even more. Love the fact that they've utilised and adapted a piece of brownfield land in an urban jungle to suit their purpose, very resourceful, if only the big housing developers did this more often instead of lobbying to carve up our greenbelts.

I'm going to be Brentford on FM21 now, after my obligatory initial annual Norwich City rebuild. 

aaaaa.thumb.JPG.ea60268692dd560940fd8cbb2ca17237.JPG

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

The sloping side edges to the stands take some getting used to i imagine. To build a complete new stadium with a max of 17,250 sure is on the small side these days, yet that is some 5,000 more than Griffin Park so adequate foe Brentford's recent growth as a club i suppose.

Seems a shame that Carrow Road could not work on rebuilding the old main stand to give us 3-5000 more seats, bringing the ground to 30-32000, as it would have been the ideal time right now. Still, i personally cant see grounds being given permission for full houses for at least 12-18 months more, maybe longer, but i appreciate finance and planning takes a long time, but here's hoping.

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

The sloping side edges to the stands take some getting used to i imagine. To build a complete new stadium with a max of 17,250 sure is on the small side these days, yet that is some 5,000 more than Griffin Park so adequate foe Brentford's recent growth as a club i suppose.

Seems a shame that Carrow Road could not work on rebuilding the old main stand to give us 3-5000 more seats, bringing the ground to 30-32000, as it would have been the ideal time right now. Still, i personally cant see grounds being given permission for full houses for at least 12-18 months more, maybe longer, but i appreciate finance and planning takes a long time, but here's hoping.

I would much rather we increase our capacity than build a brand new stadium. Hopefully we got up to around, oh let's say.. 30,312?

At least their BOD have made progress 

Carrow Rd stand is a disgrace  and not likely to be any better in the next 10 years 

I wonder if any more work has been done on a feasibility study for the City Stand. Kensell said after the purchases of those two strips of land last year that it would allow the club to work up a proper plan. Maybe more will be known after this year's AGM. Actually, does anyone know when that is? Usually it's around October/November time isn't it?

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks hideous to me. An awful lot of structure for very few seats. Preferred the old ground.

used to sit in the Brentford stands then? I don't think I've ever SAT at Brentford