Icecream Snow

Benny Ashley-Seal signs for Northampton

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If he had stayed at Norwich he'd have probably still ended up at a League One team, but having earnt less money in the meantime. Wasn't likely to get ahead of Idah into the team. 

What's your honest opinion of Idah Bethnalo? I watched him as a kid and he was light,  fast, strong , sharp  and  Skilful.  Had an excellent Kennedy Cup with Cork Schoolboys League at age 14. ..and has been in international  squads since then. He's  unrecognisable  for me at the moment, looks like he's  still   'growing   into his body'. I remember Lukaku struggling for a while at that age/size so hopefully it will click for him soon. 

Edit. Maybe  Lukaku was a bit younger but similar symptoms. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

Similarly with Glenn Middleton who moved to Rangers but was loaned out to Hibs, then spent the second half of last season at Bradford

so probably would not have made it here, although he was well regarded as a youth player

Same for the Youth Cup winning team - early success is no guarantee of future progress

Edited by Bill

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

What's your honest opinion of Idah Bethnalo? I watched him as a kid and he was light,  fast, strong , sharp  and  Skilful.  Had an excellent Kennedy Cup with Cork Schoolboys League at age 14. ..and has been in international  squads since then. He's  unrecognisable  for me at the moment, looks like he's  still   'growing   into his body'. I remember Lukaku struggling for a while at that age/size so hopefully it will click for him soon. 

Edit. Maybe  Lukaku was a bit younger but similar symptoms. 

Too early to say with Idah. He seems a talent but a million young players have ‘seemed a talent’ and gone on to do nothing, while others have been almost anonymous but then had a development explosion. 

I would actually like to Idah go to a League One club and play 40 games - get a true idea of what his talents are. I suspect he might find his more immediate future as a wide player rather than a striker but will be interesting to see how he develops. 

I must admit I’m not fully convinced by him yet but haven’t seen enough to really make a rounded judgement. 

I would expect that we all know someone who was a real prospect at a young age but never really made it, specially to the real professional game.

Standing out as a 12 year old against other 12 year olds is very common. I remember Stephen Buttle as a juvenile and he was awesome but never made it in this country.

Obviously luck can play a part on the day but with so many teams having multiple coaches, even the U18s are under enormous scrutiny.

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Too early to say with Idah. He seems a talent but a million young players have ‘seemed a talent’ and gone on to do nothing, while others have been almost anonymous but then had a development explosion. 

I would actually like to Idah go to a League One club and play 40 games - get a true idea of what his talents are. I suspect he might find his more immediate future as a wide player rather than a striker but will be interesting to see how he develops. 

I must admit I’m not fully convinced by him yet but haven’t seen enough to really make a rounded judgement. 

Me too, I’d rather Idah went to Sunderland or somewhere and got a good half season at least on loan. That would mean buying another striker though.

Really rated Benny Ashley-Seale, but admittedly only on glimpses of him, know little of Ruben Shakpoke (did he ship out? Think so but didn’t see it confirmed), hope it works out for them both but, without knowing the circumstances of decision-making, from their point of view suspect that best long term interests might’ve been served by staying with ourselves.

47 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ok  , Cheers. Totally get the development  bit of your post , there was another v promising  young lad here  who was taken on at 16  by  a then prem club, played international  till u18s, but never made it into the  first team squad, was given pro contract, left after a year, not playing at any recognised  level now. So yeah, long way to go for Idah  yet, but if he's  around the first team, they must see something  in him I suppose. Maybe he will go on loan, we could afford another striker if we make another biggish sale. 

55 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Totally agree with this sentiment , or maybe a newly promoted team to championship with a recall clause in January if hes banging goals in for fun 🙂 Pukki , Hugill and Sinani should have us covered and Idah needs regular game time to develop.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would expect that we all know someone who was a real prospect at a young age but never really made it, specially to the real professional game.

Standing out as a 12 year old against other 12 year olds is very common. I remember Stephen Buttle as a juvenile and he was awesome but never made it in this country.

Obviously luck can play a part on the day but with so many teams having multiple coaches, even the U18s are under enormous scrutiny.

i know one a friends son  who played in Cantwell's Norwich youth Team was the stand out player with Todd Everyone thought he was going to make it ,

Given one of the Highest Scouting figures ever given to a young player by colin watts 

has not played for 4 years and now starting again at a club wroxham standard elsewhere in country 

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i know one a friends son  who played in Cantwell's Norwich youth Team was the stand out player with Todd Everyone thought he was going to make it ,

Given one of the Highest Scouting figures ever given to a young player by colin watts 

has not played for 4 years and now starting again at a club wroxham standard elsewhere in country 

Please keep us posted on how he goes on

4 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Please keep us posted on how he goes on

Yes i will he is a Good Lad , i think it all came to easy for him ,

he played 6 /8 games at sunday schoolboy league  level and was signed by city 

if you get what i am trying to say he did not really have to try as hard as others so he didn't ! 

he played LA Galaxy ( not for Norwich ) and Beat them and that was when Steven Gerrard was there And even he thought he was a player that would make it 

I do know this that when it was close season at Norwich my mates lad was in his bed having lie ins  and Cantwell was up running and practicing every morning

i guess if you want it or Not i bet there are players with less ability but more drive have made it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1