Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ireland vs Finland- Official match thread

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Becoming a theme of his isnt it? One on one clear cut chance against a keeper and somehow messes it up..

Yep, a year ago I'd have put my house on him tucking that away. Idah giving their back 3  a good stretching.

Ha ha , and this is the new , possession based style under a young manager.  Ireland had 60% possession v Bulgaria the other night. Having said that, it wasnt pretty.

21 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

****, had him as first goal scorer. 

I hope your betting luck runs long enough for Leeds to get relegated 😉

• Haha 1

Some fantastic link up play from Pukki to get the goal for Finland.

And Idah off, not done much. Bald fraud McGoldrick on, binner on for a Nodge not something you like to see.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, mannings bandy legs said:

Matter of opinions, but feel Pukki's having a very good 2nd half. Movement and linkup play is excellent. Unlucky not to score with a smart turn and shot.

To give him credit he did everything right except score.

Had quite a few shots saved well (including a fantastic mid air kick that any other day would have been a world class goal) and took quite a few times first time chances that just missed.

He was also heavily involved in some fantastic link up Tiki-taka style play that resulted in Finlands winning goal too.

I'll be fair and give him a 7/10.

Idah on the other hand.. Sadly pretty invisible.

4 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Matter of opinions, but feel Pukki's having a very good 2nd half. Movement and linkup play is excellent. Unlucky not to score with a smart turn and shot.

....just to add...Daniel O'Shaugnessy. Did he walk into the wrong dressing room and no one noticed!!!!!!😆

Not sure why Idah is really even playing, other than to lock him into playing for Ireland. He’s started 2 competitive matches in his career. At this stage, it’s a bit of a stretch to expect him to look really good in a pretty dire international team. 

Good that they got a run out, Pukki seemed to play pretty well in the second half in particular if with no goals.

The BBC put something up about the O’Shaughnessy feller - has a parent from each country and chose to play for Finland...certainly he and Robert Taylor don’t have what you’d call ‘classic’ Finnish names!

Idah looks to be a bit of a way short from being ready to be Ireland's no. 9. I do think it's a shame he didn't get a loan spell last season. Could have done him wonders. 

I think there's an argument for getting him out to a top L1 side, keeping Pukki, Hugil and Sinani as the three strikers this season. 

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Like 3