Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

12 losses in a row,meaningless.

This fact will mean very little when the season starts.Yesterdays Luton game a good run out for the squad Now we get to the games which mean 3 points.The last 12 games are meaningless memories that should be cast aside,I fully expect us to win most of the next 12.

This is a completely new season with a new squad in a new division. Using this statistic doesn’t do anybody any good and indeed means very little to be honest. I’m more concerned with what happens over the next twelve games.....I expect there to be ups & downs and  moans & groans but as long as we are in touch with the early pacesetters we’ll be fine. Certainly going out of a cup yesterday will do us no harm in the quest to go straight back up. 

The run is going to be the thing that people latch on to until we get a draw or a win.  Sincerely hope it will be against Huddersfield, but even if it isn't, it's a long season and results will come.

• Like 1

Concur with that, LDC.
Anyone expecting a 12 game winning streak is guaranteed to be disappointed ... & will have nobody but themselves to blame, I’m afraid!!

22 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

This is a completely new season with a new squad in a new division. Using this statistic doesn’t do anybody any good and indeed means very little to be honest. I’m more concerned with what happens over the next twelve games.....I expect there to be ups & downs and  moans & groans but as long as we are in touch with the early pacesetters we’ll be fine. Certainly going out of a cup yesterday will do us no harm in the quest to go straight back up. 

The only problem with being knocked out of the cup is the fact that a lot of players will not be getting a competitive game in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

23 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

The only problem with being knocked out of the cup is the fact that a lot of players will not be getting a competitive game in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

We've got 9 games between now and the end of October, I think quite a few players will get a chance in that time.

• Like 1

It’s also worth considering that all these new players are going to take time to gel and bed in.....it’s a 46 game season and while it’s beyond many on here to have a bit of patience I think that’s exactly what will be required. Our last three or four promotion seasons have begun slowly and I don’t see this I’ve being too different.

Starting slowly is, I think, going to be inevitable given the number of new players in the squad. Plus we still have some time for the PL vultures to have the pickings from our best talent. We are going to have to be patient here- DF and the board may well be grateful that the early home games are BCD.

1 hour ago, mr footy said:

This fact will mean very little when the season starts.Yesterdays Luton game a good run out for the squad Now we get to the games which mean 3 points.The last 12 games are meaningless memories that should be cast aside,I fully expect us to win most of the next 12.

Well those awful matches are 'memories' for sure although the phrase 'nightmares' would be more apt. To call them 'meaningless" though is concerning. Did u think that as defeat followed abject defeat?? As for the 'next 12' I wish I shared your unbridled optimism. 'On loan to the Endsleigh League' springs to mind.

I concur that it is a new season and in theory it is a clean slate. A couple of wins and that run will soon be forgotten. That said it is a historic bad run and the mere fact that we are talking about it shows that it is playing on everyone's mind and it will with management and players. So much in sport is about mental strength rather than just ability the reverse goes the same way mental fragility. We had confidence in abundance when we got promoted but by the end  of last season had the stuffing knocked out of us. No desperation yet but we need some positive results early doors. Things will not be helped by so many new players needing to gel and management deciding upon the starting line ups. Lets hope we have good things to say after Huddersfield. In isolation the Luton game was irrelevant in so many ways but to a squad short on confidence we needed it like a hole in the head. Players that have been with us for some time like Steipermann and Vrancic already had some question markers over their effectiveness they could have done with better performances

Edited by Yorkshire Canary
  • Like 1

It's not totally meaningless, but yes we do have to start afresh next Saturday as a new season. But say we go 8 games into the season without a win, you can bet your bottom dollar '20 games winless run' will be mentioned all over the media. I'm not sure Farke survives that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well those awful matches are 'memories' for sure although the phrase 'nightmares' would be more apt. To call them 'meaningless" though is concerning. Did u think that as defeat followed abject defeat?? As for the 'next 12' I wish I shared your unbridled optimism. 'On loan to the Endsleigh League' springs to mind.

We need to forget those losses,they are gone.we will be top 3 at the end of season most pundits agree on that,so get behind the team and try to be positive. 

19 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

It’s also worth considering that all these new players are going to take time to gel and bed in.....it’s a 46 game season and while it’s beyond many on here to have a bit of patience I think that’s exactly what will be required. Our last three or four promotion seasons have begun slowly and I don’t see this I’ve being too different.

Exactly, our other promotion seasons have seen slow starts and often thats been with less changeover of players than we've just seen and certainly with a much longer pre season to bed everyone in.

I would expect the championship clubs who haven't seen much change to start quite strongly. Are Huddersfield one of those teams? I know quite a few left them on frees but I can only see they've made 4 signings or so.

5 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

It's not totally meaningless, but yes we do have to start afresh next Saturday as a new season. But say we go 8 games into the season without a win, you can bet your bottom dollar '20 games winless run' will be mentioned all over the media. I'm not sure Farke survives that. 

Why even say 20 games,that wont happen.

8 minutes ago, mr footy said:

We need to forget those losses,they are gone.we will be top 3 at the end of season most pundits agree on that,so get behind the team and try to be positive. 

I'm not being negative, it's a "what if" scenario. I don't think we will go 8 without winning, I fully expect us to end this run at Huddersfield. 

We've got fresh new exciting players on baord, and probably one of the strongest on paper for this league.

We need a win to boost confidence, but expect us to start hestitantly cuz of that "run". If we go behind I'll be concerned, but the players and Farke have to stand up and be counted and show they can be one of the strongest in this league

6 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I'm not being negative, it's a "what if" scenario. I don't think we will go 8 without winning, I fully expect us to end this run at Huddersfield. 

If we failed to win any of our first eight matches, I would be surprised if Farke was still here. The club showed great loyalty to back him to the hilt after our appalling end to last season, and in my opinion, we've done better business with our squad than any other team in the Championship.

All the variables are set up in our favour, and, while I don't expect us to walk the league, I expect us to be there or thereabouts. On paper our first four fixtures look pretty tough, so I don't think the board will sharpen the axe too readily, especially as we had 5 points from our first 6 games when we won the title two seasons ago.

I love Farke, but he is not indispensible and we cannot fall too far off the pace. I firmly believe we will be in the top two - or at least very close to it - by November.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The run is going to be the thing that people latch on to until we get a draw or a win.  Sincerely hope it will be against Huddersfield, but even if it isn't, it's a long season and results will come.

I hope you’re right, although the truth is that slow, predictable tippy-tappy Farkeball has failed in two out of three seasons and it certainly didn’t work yesterday against Luton who easily closed us down in the final third throughout the game.

2 minutes ago, Jonncfc said:

I hope you’re right, although the truth is that slow, predictable tippy-tappy Farkeball has failed in two out of three seasons and it certainly didn’t work yesterday against Luton who easily closed us down in the final third throughout the game.

You think we played ‘slow, predictable, tippy-tappy Farkeball’ in 2018-19? I’d also argue that his first season was not a failure, it laid the foundations of the promotion season. 

Given that a maximum of 3-4 of the players from yesterday will be likely to start (or even be in the squad) next week, it was as meaningless as a ‘proper’ game will ever be.  

Meanwhile, not to be picky or anything, but this 12 match losing streak is actually incorrect - the Man U game was, officially, a draw.  

It has to be a reasonably fast start, if we’re struggling after 10 games the blame game will commence and somebody will pay. I think Norwich will be fine though and we’re not favourites to win the league based on nothing. 

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

It didn't help us one bit losing yesterday. But, if we'd won the stat would have changed from consecutive matches to consecutive league matches. The only way to truly get that monkey off our back is to win games.

Your other point about 'on loan to the Endsleigh' is also a good one. Like every other relegated club, and every other time for us, the idea that we are somehow too good for the champs is crazy. 

Just to put it into perspective only two years ago people were wishing we were Huddersfield and using them as an example of what can be achieved. Now we are expected to turn up at their gaff and win.....

If this defeat does run in the heads of the players, I can only see it running in the heads of the players who were involved in the match day squad. I also can’t see how this long run of defeats will affect any of the newly signed players - Dowell and co had nothing to do with us last season as they were all playing for other teams, and so weren’t at fault in any way for our relegation. Personally I think when the next season starts players put the past season behind them and focus on the new season though.

What do cup results have to do with your league position anyway? In my opinion nothing - has that result really given Luton 3 pts with a gd of 2 and us 0 pts with a gd of -2 in the Championship table? No

I believe we’ll turn this streak over at Huddersfield next weekend as we should have a much stronger side available. Huddersfield did no better than us yesterday as they also lost at home to League One Rochdale.

I think if we loss 3 of the first 5 league games our better players who have been touted with premier clubs will want out. They have until October to weigh it up and if it's going badly I think they'll jump ship and who can blame them. If I was Webber I'd be talking to Eddie Howe already.

How can the last 12 games be meaningless we came out of lockdown only 4 points adrift and with a really good chance to stay in the league.  We came out with no desire or backbone how is that meaningless to some of you. 

Additionally our one saving grace is the amazing home support we have but the team no longer have a home advantage

Edited by Mullet

That's the trouble with stats isn't it, the real area of concern against Luton, in my opinion, was that despite bringing in the new players including the bruiser up front we played the same way as we did to lose all those games last season. 

It's as if Farke hasn't learnt anything at all. 

• Like 1

We should at least start talking to Eddie Howe and Steve Bruce. One doesn't have a job the other won't have for long. Steve Bruce was a great defender and he has the snoz to prove it. His supporters aren't happy with winning 50% of games in the premier he could come here lose most games and still be forgiven