Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

12 losses in a row,meaningless.

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

That's the trouble with stats isn't it, the real area of concern against Luton, in my opinion, was that despite bringing in the new players including the bruiser up front we played the same way as we did to lose all those games last season. 

It's as if Farke hasn't learnt anything at all. 

Exactly this. I don’t want to be negative and it’s not losing that’s worried me, it’s the manner of the loss, the inability to break down a team like Luton despite having fresh blood and players with a point to prove, we had so much possession but couldn’t score, then conceded weak goals. This is the sort of team we’ll come up against week in week out this season, we have to be better.

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Exactly this. I don’t want to be negative and it’s not losing that’s worried me, it’s the manner of the loss, the inability to break down a team like Luton despite having fresh blood and players with a point to prove, we had so much possession but couldn’t score, then conceded weak goals. This is the sort of team we’ll come up against week in week out this season, we have to be better.

I dont think that's strictly true. Until we put a midfielder in defence we hadn't conceded a shot on target and we had had 3 opportunities to score.

Performance wise from the players we put out it was good up till that point

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That won’t be the team that we are setting out for the promotion push. I cannot believe people are taking this luton game seriously!

• Like 1

Well losing 12 in a row might be meaningless if you are a fully committed happy clapper but what it actually means is that during this abysmal run we have lost our Premier League status, which presumably is seen by some as of no consequence at all, and we have lost our first competitive game of the season and gone out of the League Cup at the first hurdle against a side that we should have beaten.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Well losing 12 in a row might be meaningless if you are a fully committed happy clapper but what it actually means is that during this abysmal run we have lost our Premier League status, which presumably is seen by some as of no consequence at all, and we have lost our first competitive game of the season and gone out of the League Cup at the first hurdle against a side that we should have beaten.

Change your pants they must be wet. 

Jesus christ. 

A team outclassed in the Premier league and already down loses a run of games.

Shock. Horror. 

With at least 15 players out and a makeshift team, with a midfielder having to slot into defence and not a shot on target until that happened, we lose. 

Shock. Horror. 

How about wait 10 league games before wetting your knickers? 

Edited by Jerrykerry
  • Like 1

Its not defining but neither is it meaningless.

Any club enduring its longest EVER run of back to back losses would, by definition, be facing a crisis in terms of results. Clearly something is wrong if a professional sporting team runs out 12 times in a row and loses every single game. Either the team is not good enough for the level they are playing at or else the tactics are flawed. 

A relegation makes it more complicated to assess.

We may have dropped to our level or else we might discover that- one wonder season aside- most of our recruitment is not as good as we have been led to believe. Certainly if the fees paid for players is a guide then we are not the top tier side we like to imagine. Our spend was risible last season and whilst we have signed a lot of bodies this summer- most are - in the eyes of impartial people- unproved and as likely to struggle as to inspire. 

For me the next five matches are crucial. Farke has been given a LOT of space by the board. A board- we should note- which has a poor record of firing managers too late in the game. Unless we come out of the traps at pace then questions surely must be asked about our defensive frailty and style? 

So much has been said about how wonderfully we have changed the club, set up a system rewarding youth and maximising profits by player sales etc... but what good is any of that if the club cannot compete on the pitch. Bottom line- on the grass where it matters this team has been appalling for too long. We have to see change and fast. All else is white noise. 

45 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

12 losses is poor and Farke needs to sort the mess out quick! But my word, why is everyone so bothered about that league cup game? Rubbish cup, would have had Reading away and now we can focus on the league! 

Harping in about last season does nobody any good whatsoever, we really do need to start looking forward now. Last season post lockdown break has been done to death now and is boring, the season starts properly in Saturday and we have every reason to be optimistic about our chances. 

Cheer up people.  

Yeah there is a call for patience but this season of all seasons we need a fast positive start. You look at the players coming in and the players that haven't left we are in an excellent position. It just needs Farke to assemble the best team and instil a must not lose and winning mentality. It really is down to him and there can be no excuses.

12 losses in a row is meaningful however way you look at it and a sign of something deeper going wrong. To try and pait otherwise is a somewhat rose-tinted in my opinion however folks want to dress it up. The actual facts (I.e. results) rather than feelings, suggest the team is in a deep rut and things are not going to change quickly. 

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah there is a call for patience but this season of all seasons we need a fast positive start. You look at the players coming in and the players that haven't left we are in an excellent position. It just needs Farke to assemble the best team and instil a must not lose and winning mentality. It really is down to him and there can be no excuses.

Just not true. All our recent promotion seasons tell you that and any side coming down from the premier league as well.

51 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Its not defining but neither is it meaningless.

Any club enduring its longest EVER run of back to back losses would, by definition, be facing a crisis in terms of results. Clearly something is wrong if a professional sporting team runs out 12 times in a row and loses every single game. Either the team is not good enough for the level they are playing at or else the tactics are flawed. 

A relegation makes it more complicated to assess.

We may have dropped to our level or else we might discover that- one wonder season aside- most of our recruitment is not as good as we have been led to believe. Certainly if the fees paid for players is a guide then we are not the top tier side we like to imagine. Our spend was risible last season and whilst we have signed a lot of bodies this summer- most are - in the eyes of impartial people- unproved and as likely to struggle as to inspire. 

For me the next five matches are crucial. Farke has been given a LOT of space by the board. A board- we should note- which has a poor record of firing managers too late in the game. Unless we come out of the traps at pace then questions surely must be asked about our defensive frailty and style? 

So much has been said about how wonderfully we have changed the club, set up a system rewarding youth and maximising profits by player sales etc... but what good is any of that if the club cannot compete on the pitch. Bottom line- on the grass where it matters this team has been appalling for too long. We have to see change and fast. All else is white noise. 

1) To say there's only two black and white options for our recent form is incredibly naive and ignores a whole host of other factors.

2) If all our new signings are as likely to struggle and impartially seen as unproven then I wonder why we're in the top 3 favourites for promotion - especially since we were told by you lot how all our players were going to be sold like it was a foregone conclusion.

3) The first 5 matches aren't crucial. The last time we said that you lot wanted Farke out and had that happened we wouldn't have had the fantastic season we did. Also, note that in all our recent promotions we've had a slow start to the season and so do the majority of clubs relegated from the prem anyway.

4) How can you already be talking about how we can't compete on the pitch? We've not even played a league fixture yet.

57 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Change your pants they must be wet. 

Jesus christ. 

A team outclassed in the Premier league and already down loses a run of games.

Shock. Horror. 

With at least 15 players out and a makeshift team, with a midfielder having to slot into defence and not a shot on target until that happened, we lose. 

Shock. Horror. 

How about wait 10 league games before wetting your knickers?

Firstly I will not need to resort to your tone of voice in order to make my points.

If Farke had got our players fit, prepared and motivated when the PL resumed we still had a chance, albeit slim, of surviving.

He didn't and they weren't.

As for the League Cup, even knowing the limitations of the squad available (i.e makeshift team) before the game, the majority of posters in the various Luton threads were confident that it was a game that we would win, some by as many as 4 goals.

Now it seems that the limitation of the squad, or if you prefer makeshift team, is the only reason we lost the game.

It was not.

You can rest assured that I will reflect on the first 10 league games in due course.

However, unlike some I will do that after they have been played.

I find that looking back at what actually happened rather than trying to guess what will happen, and then have to try to make excuses as to why it didn't happen, is more accurate.

Edited by Making Plans

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Show me any Norwich supporter who ever said losing our Premier League status is of no consequence at all.

It’s bad enough that we have to listen to you making a crisis out of every setback without you making stuff up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I haven't made anything up it's what it clearly says in the thread title.

No, it really doesn't. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Firstly I will not need to resort to your tone of voice in order to make my points.

If Farke had got our players fit, prepared and motivated when the PL resumed we still had a chance, albeit slim, of surviving.

He didn't and they weren't.

As for the League Cup, even knowing the limitations of the squad available (i.e makeshift team) before the game, the majority of posters in the various Luton threads were confident that it was a game that we would win, some by as many as 4 goals.

Now it seems that the limitation of the squad, or if you prefer makeshift team, is the only reason we lost the game.

It was not.

You can rest assured that I will reflect on the first 10 league games in due course.

However, unlike some I will do that after they have been played.

I find that looking back at what actually happened rather than trying to guess what will happen, and then have to try to make excuses as to why it didn't happen, is more accurate.

We had one fit centre back, & he is still learning his trade.

You can keep on on ignoring that fact all you like, but NO struggling PL team has a chance in that situation.

As soon as I heard Hanley & Christoph were crocked, I knew we'd had it. As I suspect did the whole of the club.

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

12 losses is poor and Farke needs to sort the mess out quick! But my word, why is everyone so bothered about that league cup game? Rubbish cup, would have had Reading away and now we can focus on the league! 

Rubbish cup?  It’s the only cup we’ve ever won so don’t be so eager to ridicule it.

1 hour ago, Jonncfc said:

Rubbish cup?  It’s the only cup we’ve ever won so don’t be so eager to ridicule it.

Strange how even the pros see it as a hinderance now! 

Until Klose got injured we were in control. We lacked pace but that was all on international duty. I think the success of this season will depend on us getting a settled defence and getting Pukki back scoring. Have to stop the winless streak asap....

On 06/09/2020 at 09:22, mr footy said:

We need to forget those losses,they are gone.we will be top 3 at the end of season most pundits agree on that,so get behind the team and try to be positive. 

Having just looked at the Oliver Holt column in Mail on Sunday it seems you may have misjudged this. He doesn't even have us in the top six! Now Holt to me often smacks of arrogance and his political views are promoted far too readily for my liking but he is the Chief Sports Writer for said paper. I suspect others may be of similar thoughts on our prospects.

8 hours ago, Jonncfc said:

It is rubbish. There’s hardly any money in it, and we don’t need it anyway. If you want us to win the cup this season then please bear in mind that you have to accept that we almost certainly will be playing 2nd or possibly even 3rd tier football next season. Loads of people think a good cup run will help you in the league but usually they only make your league run worse, and here are the reasons and facts why:

1) A good cup run = more games = more chances for injuries, fatigue and suspensions

2) When we last won it we were in the 1st tier, but were playing in the 2nd tier the following season

3) When we were in League One and battling with Leeds for the title Leeds went on a good cup run including a win at Old Trafford but the cup provided as a distraction for them and they dropped in form, allowing us to overtake them

4) I believe there are several teams in the past 15 years or so that have gone on good cup runs which has cost them in the league - I think several times there have been some small PL teams going on good cup runs but ending up getting relegated from the league

In my opinion it’s only safe to go for a good cup run if you’re an established top half PL side, where just about your whole club squad is good enough for PL, and so until our squad gets back to the strength of that one of the early 90s I’ll always prefer out rather than in the cup, as we need to concentrate on the league in order to try and bounce straight back up 

Beating Luton doesn't mean we had to put all our energies into a good cup run, It would have stopped the rot. A serious rot.

The title says 12 loses is meaningless, how about Zimmerman's comments after the Luton game, "We wanted to claim a win in the first round of the cup" suggests they wanted to win but couldn't. "The performance was below expectations". "There is nothing positive to say about it", "we should have been better prepared" Is this meaningless?

Not sure how some fans on here aren't concerned and annoyed by this. Some say its past forget about it and move on, I wish we could but the team has to start giving us something to be encouraged about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1