Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

Is it even football right now?

It really hit home today how sterile football is right now. Empty stadiums, no atmosphere, low scores, no drama and the thing that really hit me, penalty shootouts in empty stadiums in silence. What!?

What is the point in continuing football like this? 

Football without fans is sterile.

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Like 8

I agree with you in some aspects, but is there a better alternative?

The longer teams couldn't play, the greater the impact on poorer clubs who are paying wages for people to sit at home (like many businesses), and without any money coming in or having a sugar daddy owner to cover the losses.

Home advantage doesn't really exist in these circumstances either, which again, many clubs rely on to get them points in a season and giving further advantage to sides full of the better players.

It's a bad situation all round, but at the same time, no amount of entertainment is worth risking lives for by bringing people back into stadiums, when said people can't even bother to wear as mask or follow distancing in the local supermarket half the time!

It is depressing to watch on the tellybox as we sit on the sofa that is for sure and limited numbers when they are allowed in won't change it at all.

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It is depressing to watch on the tellybox as we sit on the sofa that is for sure and limited numbers when they are allowed in won't change it at all.

Ugh I know, right?

a normal match day is a million miles away

I agree.

Just a few thousand fans in the ground would make all the difference, at least a few cheers & boos and might get the odd little chant going.

Don't have to go the whole hog, but would at least want it to feel like we're watching competitive football of some description even if its a National League attendance - at the moment they feel like training games.

Unfortunately with cases rising quite sharply I can't see it happening until next year.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

51 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Ugh I know, right?

a normal match day is a million miles away

I actually disagree that it wouldn't make a difference. At the moment they feel like behind closed doors friendlies.

A few thousand would feel Conference / League 2. 

At least with a few thousand fans you can judge fan reaction, the oo's and the aah's, the boo's, and its plenty enough to get a "the referee's a ****" chant going.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I actually disagree that it wouldn't make a difference. At the moment they feel like behind closed doors friendlies.

At least with a few thousand fans you can judge fan reaction, the oo's and the aah's, the boo's, and its plenty enough to get a "the referee's a ****" chant going.

I was talking more about the match day experience. The pre match beers, the pies, the walk to the ground. Banter and whatnot.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I was talking more about the match day experience. The pre match beers, the pies, the walk to the ground. Banter and whatnot.

I see, well yeah that won't be the same.

But it would make the streams a bit more enjoyable. Some evidence that fans agree that a penalty shout was stonewall etc, a bit of cheering for a goal... some fans for a player to do a fist pump to.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Theres absolutely no reason why a percentage of fans couldnt be let back into stadiums as of today......not sure why the delay between now and october, its not as if anything will change between now and then?

I'll tell you why, it's because too many people are stupid, selfish or ignorant and simply won't follow the rules.

Getting even a thousand or two people into the ground whilst maintaining social distancing and asking for facemasks in the inside areas will be an exercise in frustration, with arguments breaking out about people saying they are exempt, people refusing to keep a sensible distance away and then needing to monitor the whole thing whilst the game is being played and then dealing with the same issues on the way out.

I've been to supermarkets 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and at least 1 in 5 people aren't wearing masks, almost nobody is paying attention to distancing and are even pushing past you or leaning over you to pick something up, and the staff themselves aren't even bothering with masks OR dealing with customers that aren't following the rules, so what chance does a stadium have with hundreds (or even thousands) more people to deal with???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'll tell you why, it's because too many people are stupid, selfish or ignorant and simply won't follow the rules.

Getting even a thousand or two people into the ground whilst maintaining social distancing and asking for facemasks in the inside areas will be an exercise in frustration, with arguments breaking out about people saying they are exempt, people refusing to keep a sensible distance away and then needing to monitor the whole thing whilst the game is being played and then dealing with the same issues on the way out.

I've been to supermarkets 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and at least 1 in 5 people aren't wearing masks, almost nobody is paying attention to distancing and are even pushing past you or leaning over you to pick something up, and the staff themselves aren't even bothering with masks OR dealing with customers that aren't following the rules, so what chance does a stadium have with hundreds (or even thousands) more people to deal with???

Well we havent even done it yet to know that......last week brighton had 2500 vs chelsea in a stadium that holds 30000.

Nobody can tell me we couldnt at very least be working with those percentages inside stadiums right now?

Workplaces are open, with distancing measures in place......get on with it , I say

• Like 1

I work in getting live gigs up and running... worked with Metallica, Rammstein etc...This year has been so bad for so many people. It's depressing that this government does not realise how we really are the best in the world and how much money we pour into the coffers..

Edited by Kenny Foggo

11 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Went to the cinema last week, they've laid out clear guidance about seats, face masks, exits etc. 20 people in the screening, one group of 4 decided not to bother with masks and tried to ignore the instructions on where to exit. 

If we can't get 20 people to follow simple instructions what hope do we have with 2000?

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Went to the cinema last week, they've laid out clear guidance about seats, face masks, exits etc. 20 people in the screening, one group of 4 decided not to bother with masks and tried to ignore the instructions on where to exit. 

If we can't get 20 people to follow simple instructions what hope do we have with 2000?

I agree but do we just keep stadiums closed forever?

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

When fans are allowed back, those few thousand who are allowed in have a massive job on their hands to make as much noise as possible, I just hope it's not the hot flask and blanket brigade who watch games in abject silence who are the first to come back. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

When fans are allowed back, those few thousand who are allowed in have a massive job on their hands to make as much noise as possible, I just hope it's not the hot flask and blanket brigade who watch games in abject silence who are the first to come back. 

You won’t be allowed to shout And sing, it’ll spread Covid 

I also suspect those getting in will be if you know the right people and the right handshakes 😉 😉 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

It really hit home today how sterile football is right now. Empty stadiums, no atmosphere, low scores, no drama and the thing that really hit me, penalty shootouts in empty stadiums in silence. What!?

What is the point in continuing football like this? 

Football without fans is sterile.

No not as we know it i agree but the same goes for so much in day to day life. We do not know when but these troubled times will end and all life as we used to know it will get back to normality football included but we will need to be patient and i suspect those bright times may be still a year or so away and in the meantime we have to make the best of a bad job, trouble is with football like many  other businesses some will not be still be with us when the good times return, that is why we need to be patient with Norwich, promotion would be wonderful but financial stability at this time is all important and if that means from time to time we sell a valuable asset so be it. I also wonder when better times return who will i be sitting near, the familiar faces of several decades will have changed no doubt, more noticeable after an extended break like we are experiencing at the moment. I have friends and relatives supporters of many clubs, many just the wrong side of 60 some more so, already some are impacted by events and football has fallen well down the table of important events to them some will eventually return others may not

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Its fairly simple...if fans dont adhere to the rules they get evicted and banned from the stadium

With 22k season holders and only 6-9k allowed in, theres plenty ready to take their place

Just imagine Leeds go up the premier league, get relegated and their fans never get to see a game.

itll be another asterisk season:

liverpool premier league champions 2019/20*

*kinda. Not really. VAR and Covid... it’s a long story

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

No not as we know it i agree but the same goes for so much in day to day life. We do not know when but these troubled times will end and all life as we used to know it will get back to normality football included but we will need to be patient and i suspect those bright times may be still a year or so away and in the meantime we have to make the best of a bad job, trouble is with football like many  other businesses some will not be still be with us when the good times return, that is why we need to be patient with Norwich, promotion would be wonderful but financial stability at this time is all important and if that means from time to time we sell a valuable asset so be it. I also wonder when better times return who will i be sitting near, the familiar faces of several decades will have changed no doubt, more noticeable after an extended break like we are experiencing at the moment. I have friends and relatives supporters of many clubs, many just the wrong side of 60 some more so, already some are impacted by events and football has fallen well down the table of important events to them some will eventually return others may not

Was thinking about this the other day. Quite a few oldies around me.

If I had any sort of condition there’s no way I’d go to a stadium. I’ve caught a Carrow road cough many times over the years, it just goes with the territory, you never even thought about it.

ive sat next to people at Carrow road in full winter and they look like death heated up, coughing and sneezing, it feels like a long time ago now. That person would be lynched if it happened now!

• Like 1

Get the crowds back ASAP I suggest. Online / postal survey of season ticket holders as to who is prepared /able to come to come to games and in what numbers / group sizes, open it out to ‘casual fans’ if the numbers permit (doubtful). Impose a rule of ‘not prepared / unable to wear a mask, do not apply’. Review numbers compared to available capacity, allocate socially distanced seating accordingly, you accept what you are allocated or do not attend. It is surely possible to set up distanced ‘clumps’ of 1/2/3/4 or whatever groups within each stand? Do not permit entry unless ‘masked up’ (those that do comply will self enforce this when held up at the turnstiles I’m sure!). Immediately remove those who do not wear them in circulation areas. Would any of this work, or am I being far too simplistic? (... I’m just ‘throwing it out there’).

1 minute ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Get the crowds back ASAP I suggest. Online / postal survey of season ticket holders as to who is prepared /able to come to come to games and in what numbers / group sizes, open it out to ‘casual fans’ if the numbers permit (doubtful). Impose a rule of ‘not prepared / unable to wear a mask, do not apply’. Review numbers compared to available capacity, allocate socially distanced seating accordingly, you accept what you are allocated or do not attend. It is surely possible to set up distanced ‘clumps’ of 1/2/3/4 or whatever groups within each stand? Do not permit entry unless ‘masked up’ (those that do comply will self enforce this when held up at the turnstiles I’m sure!). Immediately remove those who do not wear them in circulation areas. Would any of this work, or am I being far too simplistic? (... I’m just ‘throwing it out there’).

I like it. There are test games going on right now in different sports but I think it needs to be accelerated or some clubs that rely heavily on gate revenue are going to expire!

11 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I work in getting live gigs up and running... worked with Metallica, Rammstein etc...This year has been so bad for so many people. It's depressing that this government does not realise how we really are the best in the world and how much money we pour into the coffers..

Bit too heavy for me but was still very impressive when I saw Metallica live 10 years ago or so.

How long before gigs can happen again? Are Big bands planning socially distances events or does it make zero financial sense?

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Was thinking about this the other day. Quite a few oldies around me.

If I had any sort of condition there’s no way I’d go to a stadium. I’ve caught a Carrow road cough many times over the years, it just goes with the territory, you never even thought about it.

ive sat next to people at Carrow road in full winter and they look like death heated up, coughing and sneezing, it feels like a long time ago now. That person would be lynched if it happened now!

I have had the same seat in the river end for about 30 years, it was originally the family enclosure when i took all my young children, they and most of the other kids are 20 to 30 somethings now. The vast bulk of people that sat around me for many many years i know by their first names we always have a good chat ask about each others lives  etc as well as footy and from time to time we may bump into some in the city or county. Odd ones drop off each year but sadly i expect many new faces when things start again

12 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Theres absolutely no reason why a percentage of fans couldnt be let back into stadiums as of today......not sure why the delay between now and october, its not as if anything will change between now and then?

Locally you appear to be shutting your eyes and ears to events at Banham Poultry and Primark in Norwich which have contributed to Norwich being placed on the watch list.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I have had the same seat in the river end for about 30 years, it was originally the family enclosure when i took all my young children, they and most of the other kids are 20 to 30 somethings now. The vast bulk of people that sat around me for many many years i know by their first names we always have a good chat ask about each others lives  etc as well as footy and from time to time we may bump into some in the city or county. Odd ones drop off each year but sadly i expect many new faces when things start again

It’s the general match day patter and banter I miss the most if I’m honest. The process of getting “up the city” the drinks, cracking on about the football and everything else in between. Unironically I miss the smell of the walk to the ground and the walk up the steps from under the stands. I know these are proper first world problems but it’s the truth.

Edited by The Real Buh

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Bit too heavy for me but was still very impressive when I saw Metallica live 10 years ago or so.

How long before gigs can happen again? Are Big bands planning socially distances events or does it make zero financial sense?

A lot of these socially distanced gigs don't make commercial sense.. all of the big gigs and festivals postponed until next year but if they still can not happen then a lot of promotors and festivals will disappear. For example, Rammstein playing huge outdoor gigs next year and the stadiums need to be full for them to make financial sense. I also, help run merchandising at a small festival with a mate (12'000 people) and the promotors / owners will not do it again (12 successful years.. growing every year) if it does not happen next year, as they will not have the cash or infrastructure in place.

Whilst everyone was getting in a pickle over lyrics at the Proms, no seems remotely concerned that the Royal Albert Hall is close to bankruptcy as it's completely run by charitable donations and the events it can no longer run... Losing venues and theatres up and down the land, will massively hit the entertainment business in the Uk, which brings in lots revenues for the government (read a report the suggested that for every £1 the government spends in the arts, it gets back £5 in taxes).

Whilst the furlough scheme can not continue as is, I think certain industries need to be helped so they are there when we come out of this... 

My other half books bands for weekend events and she has had all of her gigs cancelled this year...

I really miss live music...

3 hours ago, Beetley Yellow said:

I think it will all become a bit clearer what the club is doing in the letter they are preparing to send out this week.