cambridgeshire canary

embarrassing loss and sign of things to come or just an unexperenced team minus 15 players ?

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

There's a big difference between fans living in the past and the club judging a manager on....his time managing the club.

It's strange that we have posters who think the championship winning season is irrelevant as it's in the past so we should discount that in favour of the previous season which is even further in the past....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, komakino said:

I don't want Farke sacked - but if we have a bad start, he must go.

Like the start we had in 2018 ?

One win and one draw out of five game before heading to poorman road.... which saw us scrape a dismal draw

Giving us six points out of six games.... relegation form

If only we had sacked him then (and Webber), we might have got a manager who could get us into the playoffs

something we didn't manage if I remember ☺️

14 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

It’s not 3 games , it’s the previous 12 games before it. Plus the shambles of a season before that. Any other team, apart from nice old Norwich would have already disposed. Get real ffs, are you not embarrassed by this run, the worst in our history?,

You have to be a troll, or unwell. 

Which is it? 

To declare that those 12 games are typical or relevant, and demand the squad gels and produces instant wins in 3 games or we pay out millions and start from an even more uncertain position again is.... Mental. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Like the start we had in 2018 ?

One win and one draw out of five game before heading to poorman road.... which saw us scrape a dismal draw

Giving us six points out of six games.... relegation form

If only we had sacked him then (and Webber), we might have got a manager who could get us into the playoffs

something we didn't manage if I remember ☺️

Farke was very fortunate to remain in his post before things turned and he has gone on record to acknowledge that.  

It should be noted that Farke is the ideal manager for Delia & Michael. He does not make any waves and is a dying breed in that respect. Last season's white flag would have sent 99% of managers banging down the door of the boardroom, but Farke knows it wouldn't have got him anywhere. 

Farke is clearly talented, but is also limited. It will be very interesting to see where he goes next, whenever that will be. 

Does anybody know the record number of consecutive defeats a manager has suffered without being sacked?

51 minutes ago, unique said:

Does anybody know the record number of consecutive defeats a manager has suffered without being sacked?

• Haha 1

It is correct to be questioning Farkes future we are on the worst run in the clubs history therefore he has been given much more time than most to turn it around 

no more than 6 games it it continues 

I like Farke but surely if we lose 3 from the next 5 games he has to go. I would be knocking on Eddie Howes door already

20 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I like Farke but surely if we lose 3 from the next 5 games he has to go. I would be knocking on Eddie Howes door already

Howe would be great coup, but he would never tolerate our lack of ambition. 

Can you image the sell? Howe asks how ambitious Norwich are?

'"Well, we don't really like the Premiership and some of our fans don't like it either. But we have to dip our toe in it for the money every few years, otherwise our finances don't work. So if you get us up, can you get us down again?"

Edited by komakino

12 minutes ago, komakino said:

Howe would be great coup, but he would never tolerate our lack of ambition. 

Can you image the sell? Howe asks how ambitious Norwich are?

'"Well, we don't really like the Premiership and some of our fans don't like it either. But we have to dip our toe in it for the money every few years, otherwise our finances don't work. So if you get us up, can you get us down again?"

Tolerate our lack of ambition?

He only got Bournemouth promoted out of this league in the first place through their flagrant cheating of FFP rules....which I suspect are a touch more stringent nowadays.

With very little money floating around in the Championship in the current climate, there are few clubs in this league better placed than ourselves at this level at the moment

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

4 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

You have to be a troll, or unwell. 

Which is it? 

To declare that those 12 games are typical or relevant, and demand the squad gels and produces instant wins in 3 games or we pay out millions and start from an even more uncertain position again is.... Mental. 

Bit harsh!! 

The problem I have is we have evidence from like, less than 2 years ago which tells us when the usual posters here start calling Farke Out they don't know what they're talking about comparatively speaking with our board, who held onto Farke and saw us attain nearly 100 points and scoring almost 100 goals in the process. 

So essentially, when this board starts with the Farke Out stuff we know we need to keep him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The problem I have is we have evidence from like, less than 2 years ago which tells us when the usual posters here start calling Farke Out they don't know what they're talking about comparatively speaking with our board, who held onto Farke and saw us attain nearly 100 points and scoring almost 100 goals in the process. 

So essentially, when this board starts with the Farke Out stuff we know we need to keep him.

Obviously those supporters who recognised our defensive problems and warned that we wouldn't survive in the Premier League unless they were addressed seem to have been proved to be correct?

Apart from them, er yeah 

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Obviously those supporters who recognised our defensive problems and warned that we wouldn't survive in the Premier League unless they were addressed seem to have been proved to be correct?

Apart from them, er yeah 

It was hardly a bold prediction that a team that just got promoted to the prem were likely to be relegated - it happens more often than not.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Tolerate our lack of ambition?

He only got Bournemouth promoted out of this league in the first place through their flagrant cheating of FFP rules....which I suspect are a touch more stringent nowadays.

With very little money floating around in the Championship in the current climate, there are few clubs in this league better placed than ourselves at this level at the moment

Agree with you there.  Many clubs are under financial pressure from the lockdown. Bournemouth and Watford are having to part company with players due to serious debts and wage bills. Last summer we decided not invest much in the squad and put relegation clauses in the contracts due the risks it could cause us if we still ended up going straight back down as there were already debts in the club

This turned out to be a brilliant decision, as we went straight back down and the lockdown had a major effect on the amount of money available in football. With the parachute payment as well we are currently financially stable and if we sell any of our players we’re only going to be even more comfortable

18 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Apart from them, er yeah 

You mean where we had an injury crisis at the back which lead to us playing defensive midfielders at centre half instead of our primary defenders?

Or perhaps the games we would have had 3 points had it not been for getting royally stuffed by VAR (e.g. Spurs)?

I genuinely think that had it not been for the combination of those two factors, we'd have stayed up, and certainly wouldn't have been in the position we were after project restart.

Oddly enough I’m in both camps, I whinged until I was blue in the face about our lack of personnel/tactic changes in defence last season - a side who let in nearly 60 goals in the Champs was hardly likely to do any better in the PL with those same players - and so it turned out, though a series of unlucky injuries hardly helped.  Equally, I said there’s no way we should have entertained binning Farke at the start of season 18/19, only the most blindly stupid who can’t see beyond the result couldn’t see we were playing well and things were likely to turn.

Imo those with the idea that we are going to have a storming start to this seaso. are as likely as not to be disappointed. It often takes sides a few games to find their feet, particularly after relegation - for example us in title winning seasons 1985/6, 2009/10 and then in 2018/19. In my lifetime, which is 50 years, I don’t recall us ever having a storming start/continuing it to promotion (the best start I recall was 92/93 when we finished 3rd).

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Nathan Jones seems to think we played millions for some of our players on show yesterday. He also said missing 20 players should make no difference. 
https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-nathan-jones-luton-town-reaction-1-6824449

He’s clearly of very limited intellect if his quote about “all 15 can’t be starters” is accurate. Technically correct of course but missing the point by some distance!

• Like 1

I expect us to be challenging for promotion throughout this season with the squad we have. If we lose touch with the top two at any stage other than very early on then Farke rightfully comes under huge pressure, especially if we are still regularly defending like clowns and conceding from set pieces.

i wouldn’t base anything on yesterday. 

All three of our strikers failed to score this weekend. Pukki missing a one on one with the goalie. Never mind the problems in defence, our strikers are crap as well. We'll be playing the binners next season. 

24 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He’s clearly of very limited intellect if his quote about “all 15 can’t be starters” is accurate. Technically correct of course but missing the point by some distance!

Quite funny really I seem to remember him telling anyone that would listen that the problems at Stoke we’re down to his 1st choice players being injured. Comments like he has made often come back to bite you.

The Luton game was irrelevant as a gauge to forecast our league performance.

It allowed some fringe players to have a run out and that was about it.

We lacked back up at CB and CDM. It was this shortage of players which threw the team out of wack once Tetty had to drop back to cover for the injured Klose.

The result was a Norwich side playing with no midfield defensive shield and only one CB verses Luton's first team.

Zimmerman, Dowell and Hugill are the only players in the group who are even likely to be starters in a first choice 11 and none of these are nailed on starters. Tetty is probably a sub in a first choice 11 along with Mumba who played well. 

If we get on top of Pritchard and shut him up we should be able beat Huddersfield with our first pick 11 provided the lads put in a decent performance.  

While we had a massively weakened side out, I still can't help but be a tad disappointed with the result and overall performance - particularly in the first half where we struggled to create or make good use of the ball. It was certainly a sub-par performance IMO even accounting for the missing players.

Although we were disjointed, I think there was still plenty of experience still in the mix and plenty of players from last season and our previous promotion winning campaign. They may now be second or third choice players, but so much has been made of our strength in depth I was expecting them to show a little bit more. You'd think a good number of those players fancy themselves to compete for regular first team places - Hugill, Dowell, Steipermann, Rupp, Tettey, McCallum, Klose, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Hernandez, even Mumba now after that performance.

That said, we were unfortunate not to already be ahead before the penalty and the Klose injury clearly massively knocked us defensively, the momentum was with us at that stage and we had been dominating the second half. I think if it wasn't for that incident we would've ended up nicking the 1-0 win.  

Not a massive hindrance, but would've been nice to start the campaign with a good win, the cancelling of our awful losing run and several of the back-up players making a serious case for themselves. I think unfortunately only Mumba and Dowell came out of that game with any credit really.

Get the 3 points on Saturday and all will be well!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler