cambridgeshire canary

embarrassing loss and sign of things to come or just an unexperenced team minus 15 players ?

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

I may sound like a broken record but the best signing this window would have been a defensive coach.  I know Klose was off for the 3 goals, and Tettey had to slot in to a position he is too long in the tooth to adapt to quickly, but defending is an 11 man issue.  Properly coached and drilled a team can cope with the loss of a key player without falling apart.  The best teams always build from the back first!  FFS Webber, help Farke out and get a defensive coach in to sort it out.

And if our first choice backline concedes goals like this over the coming weeks, I'll probably agree with you to some extent, but having 2 youth players (who've only just joined the club) and your defensive midfielder in front of a 19 year old keeper doesn't really count.

49 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Where’s the passion where’s the players busting a gut. Getting stuck in, proving themselves.

The Seventies?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I doubt it.

We have to look at the season as a whole, and our primary concern HAS to be getting straight back up, and an extended set of games in an already compacted season doesn't help this goal in the slightest.

I'd not care if we crashed out of the FA cup straightaway either if it meant we got where we needed to be on the final day.

Equally, hitting the ground running after a win in a competitive match (or even just the match sharpness you don’t really get in friendlies but would have started to get from 90 minutes today) could have helped achieve the goal of winning league games. 

As I said above, not fussed about the result today and with hindsight hopefully we look back and say it was the right decision . I think I’d have been tempted to go with a strong side though for the reasons mentioned above.

Edited by Aggy

The only real issue is going to be starting most of the team which lost the last 11 games, a losing mentality is very hard to get out of without strong leadership on the pitch. 

Lose to Huddersfield and suddenly we’ll be searching for that firs5 win, which in itself might cause more nerves, the longer it goes on the longer it’ll be harder to break, confidence plays a huge part of a successful season.

I hope we play our strongest 11, changing away from the players who haven’t broken the results, I definitely want to see, Placheta, Sorensen, Skipp start ahead of the rest, I’d stick Dowell at 10 with Cantwell with Pukki up top.

Really need a good result next week.

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I may sound like a broken record but the best signing this window would have been a defensive coach.  I know Klose was off for the 3 goals, and Tettey had to slot in to a position he is too long in the tooth to adapt to quickly, but defending is an 11 man issue.  Properly coached and drilled a team can cope with the loss of a key player without falling apart.  The best teams always build from the back first!  FFS Webber, help Farke out and get a defensive coach in to sort it out.

Presumably Farke would have the last say in appointment of any first team coaches? I can’t imagine we’d hire a defence coach if Farke doesn’t want one/think one is needed.

Not that fussed we lost and are out of that competition. It all begins next weekend, where Farke will have a squad and a half to pick from. Unlike last season he has no excuses and expectations will be high. The challenge he will have is learning what his best Xl is, especially in defence. To be honest I think we will get off to a jittery start.

Whilst there are lots of reasons to give to 'explain away' losing to Luton today, or 'why it doesn't matter'... the reality is that it does  matter (the views would i am sure on the matches relevance been totally different were the result reversed) and that Farke can't and won't stop the rot in my view. The losing streak is in the clubs psychology at the moment and it will be darn difficult to stop without more fundamental change. Next week is a near gimme for Huddersfield IMO

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Canary said:

Whilst there are lots of reasons to give to 'explain away' losing to Luton today, or 'why it doesn't matter'... the reality is that it does  matter (the views would i am sure on the matches relevance been totally different were the result reversed) and that Farke can't and won't stop the rot in my view. The losing streak is in the clubs psychology at the moment and it will be darn difficult to stop without more fundamental change. Next week is a near gimme for Huddersfield IMO

And one win, next week, and its gorn, so you can stop tugging at the worry beads.

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Canary said:

A 'near gimme'?! Jesus Christ. We will have FIFTEEN additional players available to us, the vast majority of whom were unavailable today because they're good enough to be representing their countries.

2 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Hugill, Steipermann, Dowell, Tettey, Rupp, Hernandez, Vrancic, Klose and Zimmerman all first team players.

Only one player with pace in the whole lot.

The same old happy clappers not facing up to reality 

they were at it all last season when the rest of us could see it was a sh1t show and this season will be just as disappointing 

there needs to be systemic change at the club not just bringing in some new players 

I know I’m in a very small minority on here but I don’t see we were in any trouble at all until Tettey had to come out of midfield. He is written off by so many but he is still probably the best player in that out &out defensive midfield role

Edited by Year of the tiger

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

A 'near gimme'?! Jesus Christ. We will have FIFTEEN additional players available to us, the vast majority of whom were unavailable today because they're good enough to be representing their countries.

Trouble I have Woolfie, how many of that 15 will start next week?

Lets guess!

Krull

Aarons, Zimbo, Godfrey, McCullum, (If Lewis goes).

Skipp, McClean,

Rupp, Steipermann, Cantwell

Pukki.

That would be my guess at Farkes starting 11, not that I’m having a go at Farke, I still think he’s the guy for the job, but I worry like others before him he’ll go to who he knows to start with. No disrespect but that’s just two New signings, if at all, might play Tettey and Lewis as yet! That does look a strong team on paper but all will be very nervous of conceding that first goal!

I really hope we change the midfield and use the pace we have out wide, with Hugill up top, just to give us a fresh start, but worry we’ll fall into the managers fatal flaw of going to what’s worked before! Cantwell looks disinterested, Pukki can’t score for toffee, the rest are so damn nervous they’ll be needing leadership, I’m not sure who that is, possibly Krull!

1 minute ago, Year of the tiger said:

I know I’m in a very small minority on here but I don’t see we were in any trouble at all until Tettey had to come out of midfield. He is written off by so many but he is still probably the best player in that out &out defensive midfield role

I agree. We had slightly taken control in that second half and were creating good chances. The Klose injury killed our momentum. That said, I would have liked to see a bit more determination to overcome that adversity rather than giving in to old habits and tossing the game away. 

1 minute ago, Year of the tiger said:

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Trouble I have Woolfie, how many of that 15 will start next week?

Lets guess!

Krull

Aarons, Zimbo, Godfrey, McCullum, (If Lewis goes).

Skipp, McClean,

Rupp, Steipermann, Cantwell

Pukki.

That would be my guess at Farkes starting 11, not that I’m having a go at Farke, I still think he’s the guy for the job, but I worry like others before him he’ll go to who he knows to start with. No disrespect but that’s just two New signings, if at all, might play Tettey and Lewis as yet! That does look a strong team on paper but all will be very nervous of conceding that first goal!

I really hope we change the midfield and use the pace we have out wide, with Hugill up top, just to give us a fresh start, but worry we’ll fall into the managers fatal flaw of going to what’s worked before! Cantwell looks disinterested, Pukki can’t score for toffee, the rest are so damn nervous they’ll be needing leadership, I’m not sure who that is, possibly Krull!

If Rupp and Stiepermann are both in the starting line up next Saturday then I really will worry about Farke. Outside chance Marco plays but Rupp should be nowhere near the line up. 

dhould be Placheta, Todd and Onel behind Pukki. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If Rupp and Stiepermann are both in the starting line up next Saturday then I really will worry about Farke. Outside chance Marco plays but Rupp should be nowhere near the line up. 

dhould be Placheta, Todd and Onel behind Pukki. 

Trouble is we’re away from home, Buendia out suspended so I think Rupp is a shore starter, will Farke go with anyone else right wing?

Has Pukki really showed he should start ahead of a Hugill? Hugill (can’t believe I’m saying this) has no lacking in confidence that Pukki has, I would start Hugill ahead of Pukki at the moment! 

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

It’s all blooming depressing isn’t it 

Not at all, we have exciting young talent who have the potential to blast Huddersfield to pieces, if Farke has the balls to play, Hernandez, Dowell, Placheta and a Hugill up top with Skipp and Sorensen in that holding midfield we won’t concede and we will win by two clear goals! There my prediction!

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Only one player with pace in the whole lot.

Which might be why we have signed another player with pace who probably will be in the starting line up in the league, as opposed to the majority of those listed, who are squad fillers. I doubt more than three of those will start against Huddersfield.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Which might be why we have signed another player with pace who probably will be in the starting line up in the league, as opposed to the majority of those listed, who are squad fillers. I doubt more than three of those will start against Huddersfield.

It's entirely possible that NONE of them will start against Huddersfield!

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I'm fully aware that we had pacey players away on international duty etc, I was just pointing out that it would be difficult to win a game playing the way we do with this particular bunch of players, it was a mere observation. 

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Trouble is we’re away from home, Buendia out suspended so I think Rupp is a shore starter, will Farke go with anyone else right wing?

Has Pukki really showed he should start ahead of a Hugill? Hugill (can’t believe I’m saying this) has no lacking in confidence that Pukki has, I would start Hugill ahead of Pukki at the moment! 

I suspect next week our front 4 will be

Cantwell,Dowell(or viceversa)Hernandez

Pukki

What will be interesting is the following week when Buendia returns ...for me Farke should make the choice between Cantwell or Dowell whilst restoring Buendia on the right.....but will probably just bottle that by making the easier choice of dropping Hernandez

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

It's entirely possible that NONE of them will start against Huddersfield!

Zimmerman will. He’s the only one of the starting eleven I think will. Possibly Dowell. 

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I suspect next week our front 4 will be

Cantwell,Dowell(or viceversa)Hernandez

Pukki

What will be interesting is the following week when Buendia returns ...for me Farke should make the choice between Cantwell or Dowell whilst restoring Buendia on the right.....but will probably just bottle that by making the easier choice of dropping Hernandez

If we’re going to feed Hugill we need pace on the wing, Placheta and Hernandez with Buendia in that 10 role orCantwell or Dowell but pace it on the wing. Play Pukki then we need Cantwell and Buendia with Dowell or Sinani in at 10.

Great to actually have such great options, so I really hope that Steipermann is sent out on loan or sold, he’s been fantastic but really doesn’t offer much other than cover for injuriesIMO.

Edited by Indy

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Zimmerman will. He’s the only one of the starting eleven I think will. Possibly Dowell. 

Maybe not in Zimm's case, there's a reasonable chance that Gibson will start alongside Godfrey.

Dowell is a possibility, but there's the same chance that Cantwell will play ahead of him.

Not worried about the Result Nothing Cup and we have eyes on a bigger prize 

The thing that worries me most is Most fans are pinning their hopes on Pukki returning to the form he had when we were in the championship last 

Of course last season  he was playing in a Better league , better defenders and in a struggling team 

But to me he did not look the same after that injury that would be my concern not losing with a 3rd string team 

So much for the depth of quality in our squad then.

It was a reasonable team we put out with probably 5 or 6 players who are going to figure in the starting XI this season.

If we lose 2 or 3 more of our better players in the transfer window and another couple get injured long term then we're not going to be tearing this league apart.

Just now, Making Plans said:

It was a reasonable team we put out with probably 5 or 6 players who are going to figure in the starting XI this season.

Yes, some of them likely will end up in our starting XI at some point, but there's ZERO chance all 11 of them will be together at the same time.

Unless you are a Man City or similar, teams don't have 30 million pound players sat on their bench who are often just as good as the players on the pitch, there is a difference in quality, and they will feature in 1's and 2's, not an entire team together.

Apart from a handful of clubs in the world, no team can replace their entire expected starting XI with their backup players and expect to be anywhere near as good.