cambridgeshire canary

embarrassing loss and sign of things to come or just an unexperenced team minus 15 players ?

2 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

What makes you so sure Quintilla ahead of McCallum? The others I can’t disagree with. It only takes a couple of injuries and Hugill and Klose are playing though. They are very much first team players. Would they not get in Luton’s team? How many of theirs would have got into our 11 today?

I only say hes ahead of McCallum because I can't imagine he was willing to sign on loan from Valencia to play second fiddle in the championship.

Poor. Poor. Poor. As Theresa May said in 2017 "Nothing has changed". Crap defence, and a losing mentality permuates from board level down throughout the club. Top 2 - **** off!!

7 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

The point I was making with the International’s comment was more to point out their pedigree. They’re experienced players who have been important parts of our promotion from this league just 2 seasons ago. That Luton team was made up of a few championship journeymen and players who until last season had only played at league 1 or 2 level. 

The same people saying these players are no where near the first team are the ones who were desperate for Vrancic to start last year and adamant the reason our defending was poor was because Klose was injured. Now they couldn’t possibly be expected to compete with Luton?

I have no idea what our starting 11 will be next week. I expect a few who started today to start. I expect several who played today will feature throughout the season. Some of those 10 players we’ve signed started today.

Everyone seems so sure the players we’ve signed this summer will be our new starting 11 when they’ve never seen them play and had never heard of them a month ago. 

You don’t think Klose, Zimmerman, Hernandez, Tettey, Hugill and McCallum are first team players? 

Klose went off before we conceded so that's kind of irrelevant and is probably behind Godfrey, Gibson and Hanley in the pecking order. Vrancic wasn't selected in this game as a first team player. The club brought two new DMs in, presumably they must feel one of them is better than Tettey. Hugill (who I think is a good acquisition) scored 15 at this level last time around, versus Pukki who bagged 29 the season before, I'm pretty sure Pukki is still envisaged as the no.1 and McCallum maybe first choice but is also possibly behind a man who played for a decent la liga side last year. Zimmerman may start and Hernandez might as well though even he has tended to be used off the bench for impact by Farke.

I'm not saying that was great, just I think you are seriously overpaying the strength of today's side. It also ignores that Farke basically had no tactical options either, he just had to play whoever was available regardless of how they fit together as a team or tactical unit.

1 minute ago, Adelaide Canary said:

Poor. Poor. Poor. As Theresa May said in 2017 "Nothing has changed". Crap defence, and a losing mentality permuates from board level down throughout the club. Top 2 - **** off!!

Binner. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I know but I'm being told to grow up because some kids having a tantrum about it 😅

Don’t go calling 30 year old men kids Hoggy. We can all act tough behind our keyboards.

1 minute ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Don’t go calling 30 year old men kids Hoggy. We can all act tough behind our keyboards.

You're the one that decided to play the grow up card. Always more than happy to have a chat before a match in the city or whatever, keyboards irrelevant thanks.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Klose went off c20 minutes before they scored; they scored with their only shots on target.

The idiotic overreaction from some is just par for the course.  A second string team losing away at an all-but full-strength side from the same division is hardly the world’s most awful result.

I'd go as far as to say that five of our team today aren't even second string; they're third string.

Barden has Krul and McGovern ahead of him.

Mumba has Aarons and Byram ahead of him.

Klose has the pairings of Godfrey/Gibson and Hanley/Zimmermann ahead of him.

Tettey has the pairings of Skipp/McLean and Sorensen/Rupp ahead of him.

Martin has the attacking midfield trios of Buendia/Cantwell/Dowell and Hernandez/Stiepermann/Placheta, plus Sinani, ahead of him.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

You can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear.

delia out stinking rich Chinese owner in 

Profiling all Chinese people as stinking is racist and I’d like you to withdraw your comments immediately and apologise

5 minutes ago, Adelaide Canary said:

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Binner. 

Bless you. I'm just stating the obvious. Sorry!

1 minute ago, Adelaide Canary said:

Bless you. I'm just stating the obvious. Sorry!

So am I. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Klose went off before we conceded so that's kind of irrelevant and is probably behind Godfrey, Gibson and Hanley in the pecking order. Vrancic wasn't selected in this game as a first team player. The club brought two new DMs in, presumably they must feel one of them is better than Tettey. Hugill (who I think is a good acquisition) scored 15 at this level last time around, versus Pukki who bagged 29 the season before, I'm pretty sure Pukki is still envisaged as the no.1 and McCallum maybe first choice but is also possibly behind a man who played for a decent la liga side last year. Zimmerman may start and Hernandez might as well though even he has tended to be used off the bench for impact by Farke.

I'm not saying that was great, just I think you are seriously overpaying the strength of today's side. It also ignores that Farke basically had no tactical options either, he just had to play whoever was available regardless of how they fit together as a team or tactical unit.

I agree with what your saying as regards to the other players starting ahead of those today. I still think a lot of players that played today would be first choice backups. A bit of poor form or injuries could see some of them making 20-30 appearances next season. 

I agree in reflection I probably have overplayed the strength of team we put out today. I think it was probably a reaction to what I believe was people underplaying the squad we put out. It obviously wasn’t our first choice but imo it was still better than the Luton team.

I do believe it was a poor performance and result though obviously not the end of the world. Put it this way. I doubt Farke is to happy or as ready to dismiss the result when the players debrief. I’m sure we both agree we desperately need to win and snap this losing streak though and here’s hoping it starts next Saturday.

1st goal was poor from Vrancic with first missing the clearance and then committing the foul for the pen.

2nd goal was poor from Zimm who like Vrancic failed to get anything major on the ball

3rd goal was due to Zimm being caught in midfield (why was he there?) leaving the gap and lack of cover for their break.

Considering how reliable Zimmermann has been for us most of the time, it was simply a couple of bad mistakes that the opposition took full advantage of.

Vrancic shouldn't need to be trying to clear in our area either, but again it was a mistake which he then compounded with the foul.

On another day, these errors don't happen and we win comfortably, but on the day it cost us badly.

I still don't think virtually any of the players are likely to play that much this season barring Hugill, Dowell (who scored) and Zimm (if other CB is injured), that's why I'm not worried about the result at all.

If our first XI had played like that and lost however...

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You're the one that decided to play the grow up card. Always more than happy to have a chat before a match in the city or whatever, keyboards irrelevant thanks.

I think the result and performance was poor and that the team we put out was good enough to beat theirs. I guess I took umbrage to that being called a “shocking overreaction”. But hey it’s done it’s not the end of world. I’m sure we both agree we need to stop the losing streak and hopefully it’s at Huddersfield. 

P.s. I think the pre-game beer and chat might have to wait a while 😬

Where’s the passion where’s the players busting a gut. Getting stuck in, proving themselves. Trying to put the atrocious run of defeats to an end. 

If none of them are good enough to start next week what are they doing here. Just taking our money?  

Pathetic no matter what team we put out. Sorry but it comes from the top. The manager is a joke and his team are following his lead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Profiling all Chinese people as stinking is racist and I’d like you to withdraw your comments immediately and apologise

Binner

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

I think the result and performance was poor and that the team we put out was good enough to beat theirs. I guess I took umbrage to that being called a “shocking overreaction”. But hey it’s done it’s not the end of world. I’m sure we both agree we need to stop the losing streak and hopefully it’s at Huddersfield. 

P.s. I think the pre-game beer and chat might have to wait a while 😬

Agree with all. I mean, my shocking overreaction wasn't specifically targeted at you and perhaps unfairly includes the Farke Out stuff thats come up on Facebook  

As for pre-game beers, hopefully we arent too far away!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hardhouse44 said:

If none of them are good enough to start next week what are they doing here.

The point of a squad player is to provide cover for a limited number of games in the event of injury or suspension.

What you don't normally do is play ALL of them at the same time, because if they were good enough to play every week, they would be rather than being used to cover the normal starters.

We had a combination of youth and backups on the field, with only 2-3 of them likely to see any real match time this season unless we get hit badly by injury again.

Man City went off the boil for weeks when they lost Laporte, yet we have 15-18 players on international duty/injured and somehow you can't see how much more impactful this is?

• Like 1

Glad to be out of it ... waste of a time of a competition.

Don't need the potential injuries or fatigue (let alone the inevitable defeat to a top half Prem side at some point).

Chuck everything at another title hunt.

• Like 3

Not a disaster but certainly highlights that some players who got us up two years ago aren’t the same players, Steipermann, Vrancic, Tettey, even Zimbo look very poor and almost waiting to lose!

Still hopefully shows the quality we do have when the 15 others return, looking forward to seeing Buendia, Idah, Placheta, Godfrey, Cantwell, Pukki, all back in the mix.

Certainly think we need Skipp and Sorensen in that midfield next week.

It’s just a cup warm up game, the season starts next week.

In answer to the original question, we will only know when we start playing league games with our first choice matchday squad.

Todays result was no more than a friendly.

Games with no crowd are becoming meaningless. Its only the TV money sustaining the game.

It was a pre-season friendly with at least a reserve team. Good experience for some of the new and younger players - emphasised that the best days for Vrancic, Tettey, Stiepermann, Klose are behind them.

Vrancic made a total hash for their first goal, but to say his best is behind him on the back of a 30 minute outing in a meaningless cup game where we played our reserve side is a bit premature.

Klose didn't concede or make any major errors before coming off injured either.

We know this is likely to be Tettey's last season, and being forced into playing CB again isn't ideal.

Stiepermann seemed to lose it after that strong champs season and hasn't recovered, but we have so many options ahead of him for that no 10 position, it's almost irrelevant and I think he be leaving at some point this season.

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Vrancic made a total hash for their first goal, but to say his best is behind him on the back of a 30 minute outing in a meaningless cup game where we played our reserve side is a bit premature.

Klose didn't concede or make any major errors before coming off injured either.

We know this is likely to be Tettey's last season, and being forced into playing CB again isn't ideal.

Stiepermann seemed to lose it after that strong champs season and hasn't recovered, but we have so many options ahead of him for that no 10 position, it's almost irrelevant and I think he be leaving at some point this season.

After the game Farke said that he sees Mario as a number 10 now and doesn't expect anything from him playing where he did today. 

Think there's a good few on the list as number 10's though...

I’m not bothered by the defeat. We had 17 players missing and were still edging it til we had to move Tettey out of midfield. We really should have scored in that middle section of the second half and had we done so it would have been a different game.

however I’m not happy at the manner of the way we conceded the goals which was all too familiar shambolic defending of the sort we simply need to stamp out across the whole squad. Just put your foot through it and clear the ball when the opportunity arises.

Only Mumba enhanced his reputation today and really staked a claim for greater first team involvement. Probably only Zimmerman from that starting line up will start next weekend. 

Not fussed at all about the result today.

The only thing I would say is that this, as a competitive game against championship level opposition, could have been a good opportunity to try and get back to winning ways and build up some confidence in those players who were part of a side that has lost 12 in the bounce. Hopefully the spirit in the camp is fine, we win our first couple of league games and nobody cares. If we don’t though, I wonder if we might look back and think cutting the tour short (or starting earlier?) and putting out a stronger side for this game might have been a better bet.

1 hour ago, Keith Scott said:

The fact this was a second string 11 is irrelevant. Whatever line up is out there, if they have Norwich City shirts on they should be more than capable and well drilled defensively. Unfortunately once again our players weren't. This has been a worrying and continuing trend under Farke's tenure. It should be more than clear by now that's it not the players that are the problem.....

I may sound like a broken record but the best signing this window would have been a defensive coach.  I know Klose was off for the 3 goals, and Tettey had to slot in to a position he is too long in the tooth to adapt to quickly, but defending is an 11 man issue.  Properly coached and drilled a team can cope with the loss of a key player without falling apart.  The best teams always build from the back first!  FFS Webber, help Farke out and get a defensive coach in to sort it out.

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I wonder if we might look back and think cutting the tour short (or starting earlier?) and putting out a stronger side for this game might have been a better bet.

I doubt it.

We have to look at the season as a whole, and our primary concern HAS to be getting straight back up, and an extended set of games in an already compacted season doesn't help this goal in the slightest.

I'd not care if we crashed out of the FA cup straightaway either if it meant we got where we needed to be on the final day.