Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Quintilla or Mcallum

So, with Lewis on his way to Newcastle who will nail down the left back spot this season. Quintilla obviously has good pedigree and Mcallum is a hot prospect. Going to be a good fight between those two for the first team shirt, have a sneaky feeling Mcallum might grasp the chance while Quintilla settles in.

• Like 1

I think McCallum is the guy we're really looking at to take up the role- Xavi I think of in the Passlack role for this year. He'll only get major game time if Sam is an absolute car crash IMO.

Different players which is nice, if they both settle in well then could give us options. 

McCallum more about carrying the ball like Lewis and is quicker, Quintilla looks like a pass and move player and looks like he's great playing possession football. 

May see plenty of both? McCallum better choice if we ever go 3 at the back, as a quick wing back?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

We have 46 league games plus the cups this season, which is about five weeks shorter than usual. We're pencilled in for a league or cup game (should we progress) every midweek until Christmas, excluding international breaks, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure they'll both have the opportunity to impress in the early part of the season and stake their claim to be the regular starter for the second half of the season.

It could well be that how we need to cope with the opposition will be the determining factor for many games

And as previously flagged, the season is one of intense burst - which although pose the obvious concerns could actually benefit a club like ourselves with a bigger/stronger squad

To start with, I'd prefer McCallum. Knows the style of play in the UK better and appears to be more physically imposing whereas Quintilla will need a little more time to adapt. As otherwise rightly said, there will be room for both kinds of full back this year in such a compacted season.

On 05/09/2020 at 12:26, Mason 47 said:

I think McCallum is the guy we're really looking at to take up the role- Xavi I think of in the Passlack role for this year. He'll only get major game time if Sam is an absolute car crash IMO.

This view surprises me. 

One played in the Europa League last season and got 19 appearances in the Spanish top league after coming through the Barcelona academy alongside the likes of Lionel Messi.

The other has never played above League One and only has a professional career thanks to being spotted by the Jamie Vardy academy.

I think there's only one, very obvious first choice left back for next season 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Presumably Byram is also an option in here once he recovers from his injury.

Read every interview with Byram and he says he never played left back before here and only did because of injuries. 

I'd expect Byram to be right back competition for Aarons and Mumba.

56 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

This view surprises me. 

One played in the Europa League last season and got 19 appearances in the Spanish top league after coming through the Barcelona academy alongside Lionel Messi.

The other has never played above League One and only has a professional career thanks to being spotted by the Jamie Vardy academy.

I think there's only one, very obvious first choice left back for next season 

Agree with you there. I’d favour Quintilla to McCallum. I know he’s from a foreign team, but it’s quite a strong Spanish top flight team that often competes in Europe of which he even has some experience of playing in. I know I’m being a bit too optimistic here, but this has even given me some belief that he might turn out to be even better than Lewis. He can also play CB if needed and has come here to get game time, and if we don’t give him it he’ll probably head home in January

Edited by HazzaJet

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

after coming through the Barcelona academy alongside Lionel Messi

Messi is  in his 33,there is no way Quintilla  came through  Barca Academy  ' alongside '  Messi. Our Xavi is 24. Possibly there at the same time, just,when Messi was 17 and Quintilla was..... 8. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Messi is  in his 30s there is no way Quintilla  came through  Barca Academy  ' alongside '  Messi. Our xavi is 24.

You're quite right, I'll edit the post.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You're quite right, I'll edit the post.

No biggie.... just made me  wonder which Xavi we had signed. 👍😉🥅

It's not impossible that at some stage this season we will see Aarons playing left back. He has been regularly switched to that side late in games when we have changed formation and he played his first game for us on the left. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's not impossible that at some stage this season we will see Aarons playing left back. He has been regularly switched to that side late in games when we have changed formation and he played his first game for us on the left. 

I think we've got enough left backs not to have to move the best right back outside the premier league out of position. 

After watching McCallum on Saturday I would expect Quintilla play. Also I doubt very much that he agreed to join us just to sit on the bench.

4 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Embarrassing !

Haha. I'm living rent free in Six Pack's head tonight. It's quite empty in that big head of his, plenty of space for his obsessions about me.

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Haha. I'm living rent free in Six Pack's head tonight. It's quite empty in that big head of his, plenty of space for his obsessions about me.

You can rely on the Pinkun Forum to deliver a bromance at least once a week. Go Boys!!

I don’t think macullum looked anywhere near ready on Saturday and was often out of position, Luton exploited this. 

cup games and the odd league start imo. 

Quintillia will be 1st choice to start with, I don’t think there’s any real debate about that.

Quintilla to start with Byram on his return from injury. McCallum will be out on loan or will be limited to cover / cup competitions I would expect.

Although Quintilla makes sense on paper I think Mason has a point about the Passlack thing. A lot of us, including Passlack himself, probably assumed he would be first choice due to his Bundesliga experience, but Farke often favours young prospects. 

No one seems to be discussing the most important factor for a left-back.... can they defend!    The Championship is a tough league and whilst Lewis isn’t a great defender, he had pace which helped.    Quintilla looks a tad lightweight, and not sure he will be good enough defensively for what we need.   McCallum is possibly better bet long-term and interesting that Mumba has picked up the philosophy quicker (by all accounts) when he played non-league last year and McCallum Div 1.

34 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

No one seems to be discussing the most important factor for a left-back.... can they defend!    The Championship is a tough league and whilst Lewis isn’t a great defender, he had pace which helped.    Quintilla looks a tad lightweight, and not sure he will be good enough defensively for what we need.   McCallum is possibly better bet long-term and interesting that Mumba has picked up the philosophy quicker (by all accounts) when he played non-league last year and McCallum Div 1.

Yes, agree with this. I know it was only a pre-seaon friendly, but Quintilla's non-existent attempt to stop the cross which led to Darmstadt's second goal, didn't exactly fill me with confidence. When asked about Quintilla, Javier Garrido made the observation that the key to his success would be how well he adapted to the physicality and aerial side of the Championship. Hopefully he can do so and do it quickly. 

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

McCallum is possibly better bet long-term and interesting that Mumba has picked up the philosophy quicker (by all accounts) when he played non-league last year and McCallum Div 1.

Mumba has, however, picked up 18 caps for England across four different youth levels, so he has experience of adapting to different to styles and new coaches, you'd assume.