Greavsy

Lewis to Newcastle for £13.5M according to mirror.

26 minutes ago, komakino said:

"We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity, best represented by Delia and Michael"   

You my friend are the worst possible example of a Norwich City fan. You accept and thrive on mediocrity.

You are part of the problem., when there needs to be a solution.  

Calm down mate its a football team not an invasion of Europe.

Most fans follow their team because they have an emotional attachment to that team, which isn't linked to how successful or unsuccessful said team is - as long as it is well run with good direction then most fans will be happy. Being so hellbent on unlikely success, yet also ungrateful for what we already have really stinks. Maybe you should pack up as you don't appear to be having fun.

We are the envy of the vast majority of the championship, and I'd personally rather be a team like ours than one of these so-called 'established' prem sides. 

For every Burnley, Sheff United, Crystal Palace, Leicester currently experiencing success there is a Middlesborough, Sunderland, Blackburn, Stoke, Bolton etc etc. So which one of these teams do you envy exactly? Which of these teams have such superior ambition to us? Would it have been Bournemouth or Watford a couple of seasons back? Well we look the pick of the three relegated teams to bounce back IMO. So what is it you want exactly?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hahahahah.

This is brilliant.

I love it when some people think they're better because they have unrealistic targets and ambitions. I play amateur tennis in Norwich, I don't walk around telling everyone "I want to win Wimbledon and if I don't, i'm thriving on my own mediocrity". It's called realism and have some small amount of world awareness.

Which quite clearly you're lacking, if this thread is anything to go by.

There is no ambition, unless being a 'Top 26' club floats your boat? 

I fully remember the days when fans would moan when we finished Top 10. How things have changed. 

Edited by komakino

4 hours ago, Pugin said:

Silliest post I have read in a long long time.

If you are a City fan, and you may be although on balance I think you are probably not, you need to understand the geo-politics of football otherwise you can only look forward to years of frustration.

We are not in the same League as the 12 or 15 football powerhouses, and never will be. Those clubs have lost their souls and are money-generating machines for the global super-rich.

We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity, best represented by Delia and Michael.

Understand our position, don't be envious of the top clubs as we have things that they lack, and please enjoy your football with all its ups and downs.

Totally agree with you. Seeing clubs being taken over by billionaires I feel is spoiling the game as I think it’s what’s causing this huge increase in transfer fees and player wages - I mean 50 years ago, would a world class player really be valued at £100m+ and get wages of £250k a week? No.

It would be great to be taken over by a billionaire as I think we would stand a good chance of becoming an established PL side but I can’t see it ever happening and if you’re a City fan who’s just going to moan about our ownership I suggest you go and support another team as you’re not going to see a change anytime soon.

I’m proud to be a City fan, as I get called a true supporter by many and have no desire to be a glory hunter. I accept when we don’t do well and although it’s sad we don’t spend much, I understand why. My Dad is a Canary, and I have an uncle and 2 cousins with season tickets. I even try to go to see a game once in a while but it’s not easy, as I live in Essex - last games were the 4-0 and 3-1 victories over QPR and Rotherham in the 18-19 season, and the playoff final at Wembley.

All else I can really say is OTBC and CTID

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm generally someone who thinks we need new ownership but this is all over the place.

Under their ownership we went from a team struggling to get 18000 fans into the stadium to one of the best supported clubs at this level, in part due to ticketing policies implemented under their ownership and strong engagement with the local community. Without some of the changes made in that period I have no idea what the club would look like today.

Football has changed so much since they took over- I remember back when I first started going regularly (early 2000's) their individual wealth wasn't enough to make us crazy rich but it was enough to make a difference and allowed us to get through the ITV digital crash better than some. It isn't their fault that the money element of the game has grown so swiftly in their time in charge and turned them into relative paupers in terms of football club ownership.

I started going at the end of the '70s, so in essence you've missed a lot of good years - plus a few bad ones!

You make a fair point that football has changed so much, but equally our majority footballers haven't. We need owners that reflect the modern game and I was aghast when Delia & MWJ got involved as they were the complete opposite of what was needed after Chase. 

Football is about money first and the fans come further down the pecking order. That is just how it is, whether we like it or not. 

Just now, komakino said:

I started going at the end of the '70s, so in essence you've missed a lot of good years - plus a few bad ones!

You make a fair point that football has changed so much, but equally our majority shareholders haven't. We need owners that reflect the modern game and I was aghast when Delia & MWJ got involved as they were the complete opposite of what was needed after Chase. 

Football is about money first and the fans come further down the pecking order. That is just how it is, whether we like it or not. 

Just now, komakino said:

You make a fair point that football has changed so much, but equally our majority footballers haven't. We need owners that reflect the modern game and I was aghast when Delia & MWJ got involved as they were the complete opposite of what was needed after Chase. 

I don't hugely agree with that last sentence but I'd also say more fans = more money. Unfortunately owners have now doped the system so much that ticket revenue is not enough to fund a competitive team at this level.

I can in part agree with you that unfortunately the way football is that Delia & MWJ are probably not able to do what is needed (although they've defied gravity a fair bit). Where you lose me is the idea that they are somehow using the club for their own selfish ends, rather than just being people who've found the game has moved on outside of their control.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't hugely agree with that last sentence but I'd also say more fans = more money. Unfortunately owners have now doped the system so much that ticket revenue is not enough to fund a competitive team at this level.

I can in part agree with you that unfortunately the way football is that Delia & MWJ are probably not able to do what is needed (although they've defied gravity a fair bit). Where you lose me is the idea that they are somehow using the club for their own selfish ends, rather than just being people who've found the game has moved on outside of their control.

The reason I felt them selfish to a degree is that they need - or needed - NCFC more than the club needed them. I'm not entirely convinced they put the club before themselves, because they have gone on record - notably The Times article - where they said the do not listen to offers - plus some xenophobia to boot. 

Some concur with their views of modern football, which I can understand, but this is 2020, not 2000, or even 1997. Some will disagree, but the self sustaining model - which is not sustainable in my view - is designed to avoid investment. But we can't go anywhere without it. 

Delia & MJW split opinion and there is little middle ground from the fans I know. Most either think they're great or that they block the club from moving forward. 

My hunch is that in five years time we will be in a lower position than where we are now, without external investment. 

We'll see. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, komakino said:

I fully remember the days when fans would moan when we finished Top 10. How things have changed. 

You mean back in the days when top First Division players earnt £2k a week and got pissed the night before a game? Football has moved on a bit since then 

38 minutes ago, komakino said:

I think this is where the problem lies. You saw the club's best years in the late 80s and early 90s when it was punching above its weight and you were spoilt, and now refuse to accept anything less. 

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You mean back in the days when top First Division players earnt £2k a week and got pissed the night before a game? Football has moved on a bit since then 

I think this is where the problem lies. You saw the club's best years in the late 80s and early 90s when it was punching above its weight and you were spoilt, and now refuse to accept anything less. 

To a degree that is true, but now we are punching under it!

3 minutes ago, komakino said:

The reason I felt them selfish to a degree is that they need - or needed - NCFC more than the club needed them. I'm not entirely convinced they put the club before themselves, because they have gone on record - notably The Times article - where they said the do not listen to offers - plus some xenophobia to boot. 

Some concur with their views of modern football, which I can understand, but this is 2020, not 2000, or even 1997. Some will disagree, but the self sustaining model - which is not sustainable in my view - is designed to avoid investment. But we can't go anywhere without it. 

Delia & MJW split opinion and there is little middle ground from the fans I know. Most either think they're great or that they block the club from moving forward. 

My hunch is that in five years time we will be in a lower position than where we are now, without external investment. 

We'll see. 

I disagree with the first sentence but that isn't something anyone can prove.

For me, in an ideal world, ownership such as ours would not only be viable for long term success but actively encouraged.

In the real world I basically agree with your premise- I think our strategy is quite high risk in some ways as it relies on either regular trips to the Premier League or a conveyor belt of player sales, both of which are tough to guarantee and if that doesn't happen I think we'll regress.

1 hour ago, komakino said:

We'll see. 

Well, that’s odd, because most posters on this site take a balanced view that they have got some things right and some wrong over the more than 20 years they have been in charge.

As to five years hence, we are currently mid-table in the second tier, so I think there is a decent chance we will be higher than that, and as for ownership and finance I stick to my views expressed ever since the Nephew Plan was announced.

That I am not for it or against it until I know much more, including among many questions whether it might include outside investment, and that I don’t believe it is necessarily set in stone. Just because a bit of knowledge of business and takeovers and much trumpeted future aims tells me that what  seem to be cast-iron plans often get altered by events.

PS. To be precise we are 14th at the moment...

Edited by PurpleCanary

Lots mentioning that we have something that Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc don't. What exactly do people think we have that they don't? I will always support City but only because your team chooses you in my opinion (home town, where you grew up, first game, Dad etc).

1 hour ago, komakino said:

The reason I felt them selfish to a degree is that they need - or needed - NCFC more than the club needed them.

Sorry, why?

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Sorry, why?

Because at the time, Delia's stock was fading and I always thought she was a bit of a publicity hound. You had a raft of what I would called proper Chef's coming through in the 90's that made Delia look old hat (Her books always sold well, however). 

Therefore, buying into the club - once she had been offered two seats instead the initial one - gave her something extra. More than a chef. I remember the National's loved it (She has always had Archant in her pocket, more of less). 

What she invested - which she has since had back - was brilliant in publicity terms. I'm a fierce critic of hers, but in that respect she pulled an absolute blinder. It also had a bit of a fairly tale about it. 

I thought - and still think - that she and he husband were wrong for the club despite good intentions. They're too soft and often don't keep that arms length away that you should in business. The club has been littered with managerial appointments that lasted way too long - Remember she wanted Neil at the club for 10 years? - and the only hard nosed piece of business was getting shot of Moxey. 

I remember when Lambert arrived, one of the first things he did was ban her from the changing rooms before the game. That may have been harsh, but football is a serious business that doesn't need trivial distractions. 

Delia wants football how it used to be. In some ways, I wish that was the case too. But it isn't. So you have to work with how football is and what it is going to be. That has not been the case with the club for a long time and in my view, the self funding plan is unsuitable and will ultimately end in defeat. 

17 minutes ago, komakino said:

What she invested - which she has since had back - was brilliant in publicity terms. I'm a fierce critic of hers, but in that respect she pulled an absolute blinder. It also had a bit of a fairly tale about it. 

Are you seriously suggesting that the ‘let’s be having you’ incident was anything other than a disaster for Delia? In her target market, being associated with football at all was risky and to be seen as she was seriously damaged her image for the audience for her TV programs and books. It might be seen as a bit of a laugh now, but that’s 1) with a different perspective of a football fan and 2) with a lot of hindsight.

8 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I agree , its spot on. But I didn't write this.  😇👍

Ha ha, yes my mistake. Apologies. And to Pugil

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, that’s odd, because most posters on this site take a balanced view that they have got some things right and some wrong over the more than 20 years they have been in charge.

As to five years hence, we are currently mid-table in the second tier, so I think there is a decent chance we will be higher than that, and as for ownership and finance I stick to my views expressed ever since the Nephew Plan was announced.

That I am not for it or against it until I know much more, including among many questions whether it might include outside investment, and that I don’t believe it is necessarily set in stone. Just because a bit of knowledge of business and takeovers and much trumpeted future aims tells me that what  seem to be cast-iron plans often get altered by events.

PS. To be precise we are 14th at the moment...

I go along with this. That Times article irked me in many ways as did Delia & Michael's interview with Neville & Carragher before the Watford match. I felt they were far too defeatist...though I could forgive the realism. I say that as a fan and as you intimate, we don't know the inside story or the scope for business decisions to change ...the parameters.

I'm sure Delia and Michael will retire at some stage soon (both about 80 now) and become merely fans. I realise some business people of advanced age stay involved in their respective organisations but it is very rare. We may see what Tom S thinks quite soon.

Edited by sonyc

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the ‘let’s be having you’ incident was anything other than a disaster for Delia? In her target market, being associated with football at all was risky and to be seen as she was seriously damaged her image for the audience for her TV programs and books. It might be seen as a bit of a laugh now, but that’s 1) with a different perspective of a football fan and 2) with a lot of hindsight.

The 'Let's be 'aving you' episode is one bizarrely she came out smelling of roses, even with a lot of fans. 

I remember that night too well. I was in the snakepit, where quite a few fans had gone for a pie and a pint. Then Delia comes out. clearly Angry, bitter and under the influence. As she continued her charade, which in my eyes was an insult to every Norwich fan, I was shouted every expletive under the sun at her and I remember the response from being very mixed, though some couldn't quite believe what was happening. 

Could you imagine Chase pulling a stunt like that? 

I'm old enough to remember Sir Arthur South being booed on a regular basis when he did his usual pitch PR greets because he called the Barclay 'Scum' after the Jimmy Rimmer incident. That was never forgotten. 

Yet Delia somehow got away with it, so much so that some fans thought it was really funny. The National Press got a good story, as did Sky and the rest, but what was basically a semi drunken insult to every paying fan was turned into pure gold. 

I remember thinking the day after, if she gets away with this, we'll never get rid of her!!!

18 hours ago, komakino said:

To a degree that is true, but now we are punching under it!

You know that loads of clubs throughout the leagues feel like that? Notts Forest, Sunderland, Derby, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday, the farmhands, Portsmouth and Stoke all see themselves, at heart, as top division clubs. This is in a year when the Premiership has a notable absence of journeyman clubs as well. 

In terms of pedigree and support base, which current premiership clubs do you feel are dramatically below us? Which of the sides I have listed above do you think we should feel are infinitely smaller than us? Burnley in terms of support base and Brighton are the only two I can think of who are currently punching above their weight. 

We are a top 26 club because English football is fantastically competitive, with a lot of fairly big sides with large support bases. You have to be blind to the histories of other clubs to not see that. 

I dont know if the self funded model can work under the current club management, to me it hasnt been tried yet and is an experiment in progress. We will see in 2 seasons time as they will have had 5 years. My criteria for success would be Norwich going up, staying up and looking highly unlikely to come down again, that would be us punching at the top end of our weight and I'd take that for now.