Greavsy

Lewis to Newcastle for £13.5M according to mirror.

3 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Its like seeing your ex mrs parading her new fella all over social media ☹️

To be fair if my ex got with Steve Bruce or Mike Ashley I would be feeling more sorry for her than anything

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair if my ex got with Steve Bruce or Mike Ashley I would be feeling more sorry for her than anything

Steve Bruce Must Have Been With a Few and Ex's caught up with him ,Have you seen the state of his Nose 

58 minutes ago, komakino said:

Delia in the infamous The Times article said they (Her and MWJ) 'Don't listen to offers', so we will never know whether anyone of wealth has been genuinely interested in NCFC over the last few years. I suspect there would have been some interesting offers had the majority shareholders been more open and not xenophobic. Again, we may never know. 

I absolutely stand firm that the plan was to get relegated and staying up would have been a bonus. DS & MJW do not like the EPL and has gone on record to state that. There are far from comfortable being in the EPL and it's not just in not them - unfortunately some of our fans agree. I've met some of them. 

I do not see any purpose whatsoever having owners that neither invest or attract investment. Otherwise what is the purpose of them? We are a kind of community project, rather than a football club with ambition. 

As for relegation clauses, this is common place in all but the biggest sides, so I don't know why Webber gets credit for basic economics. Newcastle famously didn't do that when they last went down, but fortunately went up to ease the pain. 

This season may answer one of two questions, but I'm not sure Farke or Webber will be here the season after to tell the tale. 

Yet another post full of your self-serving, tendentious horse do-do. 

There are things about the Premier League that our majority owners do not like. That is not the same as not wanting to Norwich City to be in the Premier League.

What is the purpose of our owners? Like the owners of any business, it is primarily to ensure the ongoing survival and then success of that business. We can argue the toss about whether we are successful or not, but over the tenure of the current owners, for a club of our size and history, we are doing well against the majority of similar clubs you could benchmark us against - and against clubs that could argue that they are "bigger" than us, Leeds for one.

What you and the others who see last season as 'not trying' seem to miss is any sort of perspective. It's like a gambler who puts all the money he has left on a bet because the bookie is closing. Webber didn't see a sensible way last season of spending all the money potentially available - although he did spend money on new contracts and several loans but that keeps getting forgotten - so chose to keep it to use on another day. If that makes us stronger in the long-term, then that was the right thing to do.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yet another post full of your self-serving, tendentious horse do-do. 

There are things about the Premier League that our majority owners do not like. That is not the same as not wanting to Norwich City to be in the Premier League.

What is the purpose of our owners? Like the owners of any business, it is primarily to ensure the ongoing survival and then success of that business. We can argue the toss about whether we are successful or not, but over the tenure of the current owners, for a club of our size and history, we are doing well against the majority of similar clubs you could benchmark us against - and against clubs that could argue that they are "bigger" than us, Leeds for one.

What you and the others who see last season as 'not trying' seem to miss is any sort of perspective. It's like a gambler who puts all the money he has left on a bet because the bookie is closing. Webber didn't see a sensible way last season of spending all the money potentially available - although he did spend money on new contracts and several loans but that keeps getting forgotten - so chose to keep it to use on another day. If that makes us stronger in the long-term, then that was the right thing to do.

Last season was indefensible and the only positive is that due to COVID-19, many of us weren't there to witness it first hand! Webber messed up on what could be our last jaunt in the top tier for an indefinite period. 

We'll have to disagree on Delia & MJW, as they are superfluous in my view, but I still stand that they are far from comfortable with us being in the EPL, especially as they have stated that the club is 'no better off' in that league. They may mean well, but their understanding and attitude of modern football and what it needs, is completely at odds with their parochial view of how the game is in 2020, hence why I don't see the point of them on a professional basis. 

It's a bit like the owners of the corner shop running the Tesco's on the existing budget. It won't be successful and will ultimately fail. So why are they there? 

Project Mirage relies on us getting promoted every few years, otherwise the club will slowly fall apart and find it increasingly difficult to compete in the Championship as more clubs have the finance behind them that our majority shareholders refuse personally to put in or attract outside investment. If you are not prepared to do that then you should have nothing to do with any football club. 

4 hours ago, komakino said:

We planned to get relegated

Hair splitting here but we did not plan TO get relegated, we planned  FOR the likely scenario of  relegation.  There is a subtle but very important difference. 

• Like 5

Sorry, but, all of the people saying we could have spent a bit more, could we? The point of taking a calculated gamble is that it's calculated, there was likely no one that it was felt would improve us sufficiently within our potential price range. We had a few million in funds that we tried to buy that french kid with, but if there was no one worth us spending money on then why should we spend it? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kick it off said:

Sad to see him go - Feels wrong seeing him in a Newcastle shirt. Wish him all the best though, he's been great for us.

Agreed. In many ways Lewis and Aarons were the catalyst for our successful Championship season and a big reason why the club has adopted this 'project' and direction. Bizarre that some have been slagging him off.

Just praying Max doesn't leave now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Sorry, but, all of the people saying we could have spent a bit more, could we? The point of taking a calculated gamble is that it's calculated, there was likely no one that it was felt would improve us sufficiently within our potential price range. We had a few million in funds that we tried to buy that french kid with, but if there was no one worth us spending money on then why should we spend it? 

My feelings  entirely Samo, while I would like the Club to establish  themselves  in the Prem and push for Europe, I am quite happy  with the massive two steps forward  that we took end 18/19 season and the one step back we took 19/20 if it means we are solidifying  the foundations of the Club and building incrementally. 

The only other realistic option open to us is the old  investor  thing. Until that hapoens........, it's been talked to death.So I'll  leave it there.

To quote Kevin Keegan  " I'd absolutely  love it" if our current strategy pays off in a few seasons. 

Happily Clapping my heart out.

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

My feelings  entirely Samo, while I would like the Club to establish  themselves  in the Prem and push for Europe, I am quite happy  with the massive two steps forward  that we took end 18/19 season and the one step back we took 19/20 if it means we are solidifying  the foundations of the Club and building incrementally. 

The only other realistic option open to us is the old  investor  thing. Until that hapoens........, it's been talked to death.So I'll  leave it there.

To quote Kevin Keegan  " I'd absolutely  love it" if our current strategy pays off in a few seasons. 

Happily Clapping my heart out.

Exactly this. Too many people fall for the delusion that progress is linear. As for the notion that the club didn't try last season, that's just bovine excrement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hair splitting here but we did not plan TO get relegated, we planned  FOR the likely scenario of  relegation.  There is a subtle but very important difference. 

Totally agree with you. Although I do believe we could have spent a little bit more, after how strong the squad that won promotion was  the last thing we would want is to end up having to sell all the talent or go into administration the following season. At least this season we should still have quite a strong squad, and if we do manage to bounce straight back up we should be able to spend a fair bit more than we did last season 

25 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

, and if we do manage to bounce straight back up we should be able to spend a fair bit more than we did last season 

Yep but only if the deals are right . 

I believe that we've  never ' made it' but should always be 'making it'.

Edited by wcorkcanary

15 hours ago, komakino said:

Last season was indefensible and the only positive is that due to COVID-19, many of us weren't there to witness it first hand! Webber messed up on what could be our last jaunt in the top tier for an indefinite period. 

We'll have to disagree on Delia & MJW, as they are superfluous in my view, but I still stand that they are far from comfortable with us being in the EPL, especially as they have stated that the club is 'no better off' in that league. They may mean well, but their understanding and attitude of modern football and what it needs, is completely at odds with their parochial view of how the game is in 2020, hence why I don't see the point of them on a professional basis. 

It's a bit like the owners of the corner shop running the Tesco's on the existing budget. It won't be successful and will ultimately fail. So why are they there? 

Project Mirage relies on us getting promoted every few years, otherwise the club will slowly fall apart and find it increasingly difficult to compete in the Championship as more clubs have the finance behind them that our majority shareholders refuse personally to put in or attract outside investment. If you are not prepared to do that then you should have nothing to do with any football club. 

And again, there you go making stuff up to back your arguments.

What was indefensible about last season? Sustaining three injured centre backs? Not spending money we don’t have? Playing youngsters who had helped us get promoted in style the season before? I can and will defend our approach last season, and so will many others who support the club.

“Our last jaunt in the top tier for an indefinite period” - can you give a reason why do you think we are unlikely to go up again, or are you making stuff up again? Because of the way the club is now run, we are better placed to bounce back than we ever have been after previous relegations.

If Delia and Michael “have stated that the club is 'no better off' in that league” (source and date?) that is because in previous Premier League stays every pound that came in - plus more - has been spent on the players that you and others think we needed to splash out on. I highly doubt they would say that is the case any more. In other words, it was a statement of financial fact, and nothing to do with your fantasy that they don’t want us to be a PL club.

And your last paragraph is bleak in the extreme. You seem to believe that merit in football equals the amount of money owners are prepared to spend on their club - and “any club”??? Really? Note I said spend, not invest, as invest implies a return at some point and what you suggest would be an ever escalating money war - there would never be a return.

Edited by Nuff Said
Speeling
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Even his parting words published today just sounded like someone who thought he’s bigger than the club (Norwich), which he isn’t. No mention of or to the supporters whatsoever. I appreciate he’s ambitious but so was James Maddison and you can still to this day feel the love and respect he has for all things NCFC. I’m not feeling any sadness over him leaving to be honest, just hope that any of the other young lads that move on remember all the supporters that have travelled all over the country spending their hard earned money to cheer the team on. 

He has now ...

BE14CDED-41A0-44D1-989D-224CB26D939C.jpeg

FF8F5867-3313-494D-8201-F664FB3924FF.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

And again, there you go making stuff up to back your arguments.

What was indefensible about last season? Sustaining three injured centre backs? Not spending money we don’t have? Playing youngsters who had helped us get promoted in style the season before? I can and will defend our approach last season, and so will many others who support the club.

“Our last jaunt in the top tier for an indefinite period” - can you give a reason why do you think we are unlikely to go up again, or are you making stuff up again? Because of the way the club is now run, we are better placed to bounce back than we ever have been after previous relegations.

If Delia and Michael “have stated that the club is 'no better off' in that league” (source and date?) that is because in previous Premier League stays every pound that came in - plus more - has been spent on the players that you and others think we needed to splash out on. I highly doubt they would say that is the case any more. In other words, it was a statement of financial fact, and nothing to do with your fantasy that they don’t want us to be a PL club.

And your last paragraph is bleak in the extreme. You seem to believe that merit in football equals the amount of money owners are prepared to spend on their club - and “any club”??? Really? Note I said spend, not invest, as invest implies a return at some point and what you suggest would be an ever escalating money war - there would never be a return.

I'm not 'making stuff up'. 

The quote regarding that the club are no better off in the PL was when we got promoted under Alex Neil. It was in various publications from memory because it seemed an odd thing to say. 

The reason I don't think we'll get promoted any time soon is manly down to the lack of investment. You seem perfectly happy that we have majority shareholders that do not invest or attract investment. Football is a money business, big business. Delia and Michael view is not sustainable and has no place in modern football. The longer they are here, the harder it will be. 

Delia is an opportunist. Fair play to her, she took advantage of the situation after Chase was forced out which has given her a brilliant return in publicity terms in an era where her public image was fading. However, together with MWJ, were totally unsuitable for Norwich City. The club needed owners that took the club to the next level, but instead flirted with administration on more than one occasion and took us the third tier. 

They are totally superfluous as nothing is gained by the club for their majority ownership of Norwich City. I look forward to the day when the fans that are asleep wake up and wish for something better. 

1 hour ago, komakino said:

The quote regarding that the club are no better off in the PL was when we got promoted under Alex Neil. It was in various publications from memory because it seemed an odd thing to say. 

The reason I don't think we'll get promoted any time soon is manly down to the lack of investment. You seem perfectly happy that we have majority shareholders that do not invest or attract investment. Football is a money business, big business. Delia and Michael view is not sustainable and has no place in modern football. The longer they are here, the harder it will be. 

Delia is an opportunist. Fair play to her, she took advantage of the situation after Chase was forced out which has given her a brilliant return in publicity terms in an era where her public image was fading. However, together with MWJ, were totally unsuitable for Norwich City. The club needed owners that took the club to the next level, but instead flirted with administration on more than one occasion and took us the third tier. 

They are totally superfluous as nothing is gained by the club for their majority ownership of Norwich City. I look forward to the day when the fans that are asleep wake up and wish for something better. 

You're *at best* manipulating what our owners have said to suggest they don't want to be in the PL.

And to suggest Delia (not sure why Michael isn't included?) is some sort of corporate raider, buying a football club as a mechanism to improve her public image is bizarre. 

As I said, if you benchmark our owners' performance against similar clubs, we have significantly out-performed our realistic competitors. To expect a fictional billionaire to parachute in and turn us into a Man City or Leicester is fantasy. All the evidence suggests that the likelihood is that we would instead be another Forest, Derby, QPR etc - all clubs that could legitimately claim to be bigger than us, with richer owners - but who we have far out-performed. Of course, we could be another Wigan. We are seeing cracks emerging in the PL TV gravy train and we are far better situated than most to come out the other side of any collapse in a good and stable condition.

Edited by Nuff Said
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, komakino said:

That bit in bold is just, with the exception of football being big business, incorrect.  

We went up with relatively low levels of investment, but what we did was efficiently targeted and yielded dividends. However, it was less in players and more in the academy. (Which actually makes me wonder, considering how effective it was last time, maybe there's room for another bond issue for further enhancements, or to finance a stand upgrade in a few years time?)

What's not sustainable in this day and age is this notion that wealthy sugar daddies bankroll expenditure ad infinitum. Without even pausing to mull it over, the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan and Leeds have all seriously struggled after their wealthy bankrollers stopped and ownership changed hands. Other clubs have ultra-wealthy owners and still can't do jack-all, including our Suffolk rivals. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Those who seriously think a wealthy sugar daddy is a solution are the ones who need to "wake up".

• Like 3

22 hours ago, komakino said:

Silliest post I have read in a long long time.

If you are a City fan, and you may be although on balance I think you are probably not, you need to understand the geo-politics of football otherwise you can only look forward to years of frustration.

We are not in the same League as the 12 or 15 football powerhouses, and never will be. Those clubs have lost their souls and are money-generating machines for the global super-rich.

We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity, best represented by Delia and Michael.

Understand our position, don't be envious of the top clubs as we have things that they lack, and please enjoy your football with all its ups and downs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pugin said:

If you are a City fan, and you may be although on balance I think you are probably not, you need to understand the geo-politics of football otherwise you can only look forward to years of frustration.

We are not in the same League as the 12 or 15 football powerhouses, and never will be. Those clubs have lost their souls and are money-generating machines for the global super-rich.

We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity, best represented by Delia and Michael.

Understand our position, don't be envious of the top clubs as we have things that they lack, and please enjoy your football with all its ups and downs.

^^^^^^^^^^^Absofeckinglutely This.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Those clubs have lost their souls and are money-generating machines for the global super-rich.

We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity,

Spot on.

Try buying a season ticket at arsenal for under a £1000 .

Very few real scousers inside Anfield these days. Man utd fans have to travel hours, just to get to a home match from the south east/west, Ireland, Europe and Yarmouth.

Some of the larger clubs are completely detached from their areas and local support. 

Even the Spurs new ground, impressive on first glance as it is, feels like walking into one of the Florida theme parks. 

Whilst I for one want investment at City and to see us challenging more. It is not at the (non monetary) expense of what it has cost some of those clubs. Clubs need a soul, ours still has one.

8 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Man utd fans have to travel hours, just to get to a home match from the south east/west, Ireland, Europe and Yarmouth.

Remember a few years the announcer at Carrow Road telling the Man Utd fans that there had been an additional train put on for away fans to Great Yarmouth which got a massive cheer 😂

47 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Spot on.

Try buying a season ticket at arsenal for under a £1000 .

Very few real scousers inside Anfield these days. Man utd fans have to travel hours, just to get to a home match from the south east/west, Ireland, Europe and Yarmouth.

Some of the larger clubs are completely detached from their areas and local support. 

Even the Spurs new ground, impressive on first glance as it is, feels like walking into one of the Florida theme parks. 

Whilst I for one want investment at City and to see us challenging more. It is not at the (non monetary) expense of what it has cost some of those clubs. Clubs need a soul, ours still has one.

I agree , its spot on. But I didn't write this.  😇👍

The history rewriting about the stowmarket 2 is incredible 

the most destructive owners we have had in the clubs history and some of the least successful on the pitch in modern history 

time to take off the rose tinted glasses. We are in for yet another long haul this season 

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

"We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity, best represented by Delia and Michael"   

You my friend are the worst possible example of a Norwich City fan. You accept and thrive on mediocrity.

You are part of the problem., when there needs to be a solution.  

Edited by komakino

On 10/09/2020 at 08:21, komakino said:

I'm generally someone who thinks we need new ownership but this is all over the place.

Under their ownership we went from a team struggling to get 18000 fans into the stadium to one of the best supported clubs at this level, in part due to ticketing policies implemented under their ownership and strong engagement with the local community. Without some of the changes made in that period I have no idea what the club would look like today.

Football has changed so much since they took over- I remember back when I first started going regularly (early 2000's) their individual wealth wasn't enough to make us crazy rich but it was enough to make a difference and allowed us to get through the ITV digital crash better than some. It isn't their fault that the money element of the game has grown so swiftly in their time in charge and turned them into relative paupers in terms of football club ownership.

40 minutes ago, komakino said:

"We sit somewhere within the mid-range of the next 20 or 30 clubs. We are efficiently run, honest, and have integrity, best represented by Delia and Michael"   

You my friend are the worst possible example of a Norwich City fan. You accept and thrive on mediocrity.

You are part of the problem., when there needs to be a solution.  

Hahahahah.

This is brilliant.

I love it when some people think they're better because they have unrealistic targets and ambitions. I play amateur tennis in Norwich, I don't walk around telling everyone "I want to win Wimbledon and if I don't, i'm thriving on my own mediocrity". It's called realism and have some small amount of world awareness.

Which quite clearly you're lacking, if this thread is anything to go by.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1