Greavsy

Lewis to Newcastle for £13.5M according to mirror.

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Sad to see him go - Feels wrong seeing him in a Newcastle shirt. Wish him all the best though, he's been great for us.

Felt the same when i first saw Maddison in a Leicster shirt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, komakino said:

Footballers are mercenaries who have a shelf life and will go where the money is. There are probably many Norwich players who would go elsewhere if they could get a much better deal. Ditto any other club. 

I think you've missed my point a little (totally understandable). I'm not saying that footballers shouldn't go where the money is. I'm saying when at clubs, some show a connection to that club better than others.

Ivo Pinto is a great example. The guy was never a great player. But I would say he would be much more welcomed back by Norwich fans if seen in the city than Jamal would be.

Like I said, probably harsh and a matter of perception, rather than reality.

8 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

I think you've missed my point a little (totally understandable). I'm not saying that footballers shouldn't go where the money is. I'm saying when at clubs, some show a connection to that club better than others.

Ivo Pinto is a great example. The guy was never a great player. But I would say he would be much more welcomed back by Norwich fans if seen in the city than Jamal would be.

Like I said, probably harsh and a matter of perception, rather than reality.

i wonder what Max , Ben and Todd are thinking seeing their mate just move 

Maybe treble his wage ?  signing on fee of a million plus ?

Good Luck to the Boy i hope he has a good Career 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

This is the worry, I think longer term, those lads playing week in week out here, getting a promotion push and either taking us back to the prem, or moving on next year will be better for their development, maybe being selfish in saying that. 

I think Lewis will play week in week out there though, not sure Godfrey or Cantwell would be so nailed on anywhere else as first team regulars, and Aarons possibly more of a chance, but not guaranteed. 

Lewis was the right deal at the right time for all I feel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

It's pretty tough when the bids aren't coming in for them though. Just finished listening to Not the top twenty's championship predictions. They describe a chat with Michael Bailey who pretty much confirmed that. Also noticed Sexy Bennett on twitter claim the market is slowed down due to COVID. 

All very interesting stuff.

Fair play to him. Gave us three good years, came through the academy, Farke gave him his chance, and he took it brilliantly becoming a full Northern Ireland international in the process. And he's moved to a club where he's got every chance of starting every week in the top flight and developing his game further.

Right move, right time, decent price gained with definite potential of getting more via a sell-on clause, and we've ostensibly got the players in place to replace him already. On top of that, we've sent a message to promising youngsters all over. That message is "we'll give you your chance, train you, and play you in our first team if you work hard enough, and you can take it on from there - and Jamal Lewis / James Maddison are two fine examples of what can happen if you entrust us with your development if you still want to make it big or have international ambitions even if we fall a little short".

He should be fondly remembered, really. Here's hoping he kicks on nicely over there.

• Like 4

He'll be loaned out to Nottingham Forest in a couple of seasons.. great deal for the club to cash in and bring someone else through!

• Like 1

Always love to see a departing Norwich player give us a few words when leaving (but only if genuine of course). James Maddison springs to mind. Jamal Lewis not so much. 

Newcastle love throwing out the longest possible contracts. Makes a bit more sense in Jamal's case but still.

Just seen this on other social media, but we have sold both Murphys, Madders and Jamal for (allegedly) £57.8M and we bought them for £2.4M. Even if these figures are slightly out, that is a massive plus of having Stuart Webber and his team at the Club

No good byes or thanks to the club and fans from Lewis? I’d be surprised if he hadn’t put something up on twitter etc. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No good byes or thanks to the club and fans from Lewis? I’d be surprised if he hadn’t put something up on twitter etc. 

Give him a chance, apparently he keeps checking his balance at the ATM. He'll get round to it.

20 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Give him a chance, apparently he keeps checking his balance at the ATM. He'll get round to it.

Tell to him to that online and watch the interest grow. 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is this really one of these 'he only moved for the money' posts?

Yep. Here we go, same as the Murphy's...

Good player, but ultimately if we had to lose one of the 5 then I would have picked him. Solid fee and 2 players already signed to cover the position, if this also means financially we are in an even stronger position to not sell then its a very logical move. Good luck to him! 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Just seen this on other social media, but we have sold both Murphys, Madders and Jamal for (allegedly) £57.8M and we bought them for £2.4M. Even if these figures are slightly out, that is a massive plus of having Stuart Webber and his team at the Club

I don't quite understand the Webber love - in. He did very little to keep the club-up last year in what was a wasted season for all concerned. When he starts using some of the money to keep us in the top tier, then he'll get my praise. Until then, he is just a Delia apologist. 

3 minutes ago, komakino said:

I don't quite understand the Webber love - in. He did very little to keep the club-up last year in what was a wasted season for all concerned. When he starts using some of the money to keep us in the top tier, then he'll get my praise. Until then, he is just a Delia apologist. 

Deary me, so what were your thoughts on his signings of Pukki and Buendia, with our then subsequent promotion? Im not saying he is perfect, but you don't get to conveniently  ignore the stuff done well just to try and justify a pretty weak argument.

5 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Deary me, so what were your thoughts on his signings of Pukki and Buendia, with our then subsequent promotion? Im not saying he is perfect, but you don't get to conveniently  ignore the stuff done well just to try and justify a pretty weak argument.

He was first class in getting us up, but largely to blame for not keeping us there, though there is no will from above. Credit for 18/19, none for 19/20. 

I think that's pretty fair. 

Whether Webber is more ambitious than our majority shareholders, I'm not entirely sure. He talks as though he is, so ultimately he has to put up or move on. 

My money is on us finishing upper/mid table with Webber leaving stating he cannot take the club any further, which in a way would be true if that outcome happens. 

If we go up in a blaze of glory, he'll still face the issue that he had last year and the five year mirage. 

The jury's still out for me, despite the positives he has made. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Newcastle love throwing out the longest possible contracts. Makes a bit more sense in Jamal's case but still.

Yep.. Alan Pardew probably still has 2 years left on his contract.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, komakino said:

He was first class in getting us up, but largely to blame for not keeping us there, though there is no will from above. Credit for 18/19, none for 19/20. 

I think that's pretty fair. 

Whether Webber is more ambitious than our majority shareholders, I'm not entirely sure. He talks as though he is, so ultimately he has to put up or move on. 

My money is on us finishing upper/mid table with Webber leaving stating he cannot take the club any further, which in a way would be true if that outcome happens. 

If we go up in a blaze of glory, he'll still face the issue that he had last year and the five year mirage. 

The jury's still out for me, despite the positives he has made. 

I can just about accept the narrative that last years failed prem campaign was a ‘free hit’, happened much sooner than we thought, and despite being miserable has set a solid foundation for the club to build from and bounce straight back.

But if we do get promoted this season, then I am looking for a hell of a lot more ambition from the club to stay in the league. Another abject failure then what is the point of it all.

I can see that yo-yoing is beneficial to try and slingshot into mid table obscurity (Burnley). But to a perennial yo-yo club...

• Like 1