Greavsy

Lewis to Newcastle for £13.5M according to mirror.

5 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Decent deal for us this. £15 million is a good price for a player who's career could still go either way in terms of being an established EPL player. 

I think we have better in McCallum personally. I liked Lewis, but also thought he flattered to deceived. End product always lacking.. and we didn't miss him that much when Byram came in. 

Agee wholeheartedly, Lewis has done an excellent job and out of all our 5 young regulars he’s possibly the one we have covered, but as you I think McCullum can be far better the more he plays. I don’t think he’s that far behind the quality of Lewis. The reality is we bought a younger cracking player and made over 12 million profit in selling Lewis.

Great for Lewis too good side to carry on his career.

Edited by Indy

4 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I think Maddison is the only one who’s departure really worked out for him - most of them have got nowhere near the amount of game time they got with us

Redmond? Has played nearly 150 Premier League games at Southampton and grabbed and England cap.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not really. It's just acceptance that they're in a higher league than we are right now and his exposure to better players consistently, in a higher-quality league, is what will make him improve most.

If he moved to a really top-tier side like a Liverpool or Manchester City, he'd probably not get in the team. He might improve a bit by being with world-class players in training, but not be able to use it in many matches and therefore not get everything grooved in during competition.

Erling Haaland's nailed it in his progression. Was at Molde, a a top Norwegian club that's generally let youngsters have a crack, then went to Salzburg, a higher standard of football and again with a club that tries to improve youngsters to sell on, then went to arguably Europe's best "finishing" school for young talent in Dortmund. That makes far more sense than jumping straight from Molde to Madrid.

He has Odegaard as the example of one who did the jump straight away, seems to finally be bearing fruit and he's probably a very rich man but no doubt he would have been better moving more gradually like Haaland is doing

• Like 1

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

He has Odegaard as the example of one who did the jump straight away, seems to finally be bearing fruit and he's probably a very rich man but no doubt he would have been better moving more gradually like Haaland is doing

Odegaard's the exact example I was thinking of. Operative word - "finally".

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

There is no set rule for this though- Joe Gomez jumped straight from League One Charlton to Liverpool and is now a regular, same for Dele Ali with MK Dons.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

There is no set rule for this though- Joe Gomez jumped straight from League One Charlton to Liverpool and is now a regular, same for Dele Ali with MK Dons.

Very true (although you could argue Ali's not been quite the same player for a year or more now), but without taking a statistical approach to it, I'd wager that a hell of a much larger proportion of "wonderkids" fall short when they make such a big leap compared to working your way up.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Redmond? Has played nearly 150 Premier League games at Southampton and grabbed and England cap.

Did wonder about him. To be honest I knew he had got an England cap and was getting some game time, just unsure whether they were starts or sub appearances - guess they must be starts

Edited by HazzaJet

4 minutes ago, East Rider said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Whilst no one who supports Norwich wanted relegation (we hope), this piece of business shows our model in a perfect light. Lewis was not the finished article and there remains the question of whether he can kick on, which I hope he will. However, we appear to have invested in this area in the close season with a ready made replacement in Byram (if fit) for a fraction of the money received.

Good business in my opinion. Roll on next season.

Unfortunately I met too many (though one is too many) of our fans who wanted us to go down this season. Whilst there is arguably much wrong with the EPL, to have a section of the fan base that do not wish to be there is extraordinary. 

Some of this can be put down  Delia & Michael's article in The Times a few years back. If the majority shareholders don't want to be there, then why should the fans - or even the players? The defeatism and negativity towards the EPL just adds to the 'Little Old Norwich' tag. 

We now find ourselves in a perverse situation where we are hopefully trying to get promoted to a league which some fans don't want us to be in. 

Had COVID not struck, I wouldn't have been surprised if the chants of 'We're Norwich, we don't want to stay up...' from the Lower Barclay. 😉 

Lewis is good business for all concerned and I hope he does well. 

37 minutes ago, king canary said:

Was also a big feature at the beginning of last season- apparently there was no real gap between the likes of Palace, Burnley and us and the transition to the Premier League would be easy enough...

"The gap between the Championship and the Premier League is just a myth created by the media to sell the Premier League product. There really is no difference between the top of the Championship and the bottom half of the Premier League. We'll finish mid-table easily."

28 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

27 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

How quickly did we expect Odegaard to develop though? He had a couple of years with Real Madrid's B team from 16-18, a couple of years on loan in the Eredivise aged 18-20 and last season he had a very good year in La Liga on loan at Real Sociedad, and he's still only 21.

I'd say his decision has been justified. Had he moved permanently to the Eredivisie at 18, then Sociedad and 20 and had a standout first season I'm sure everyone would be saying what a brilliant decision he made.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I can feel more bids coming in very soon for the players superior to Lewis. Cantwell and Aarons are my guesses. 

If we had to lose any three of the five, that's probably the three I'd pick (although more than happy to keep them all).

Having said that, I do feel like Cantwell could run riot in the Champs this year if he stays.

Just now, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

If we had to lose any three of the five, that's probably the three I'd pick (although more than happy to keep them all).

Having said that, I do feel like Cantwell could run riot in the Champs this year if he stays.

Him and Emi complimented by the others would run riot in this league. 

45 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I think we have better in McCallum personally. 

You've gone early on that. We shall see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

How quickly did we expect Odegaard to develop though? He had a couple of years with Real Madrid's B team from 16-18, a couple of years on loan in the Eredivise aged 18-20 and last season he had a very good year in La Liga on loan at Real Sociedad, and he's still only 21.

I'd say his decision has been justified. Had he moved permanently to the Eredivisie at 18, then Sociedad and 20 and had a standout first season I'm sure everyone would be saying what a brilliant decision he made.

Ødegård have a string mentalety. He had a plan and done 100% as planed.

Hope we dont have to sell Goodfry and Bouendia. 

Sell them all, and bank the money

though wait until January when the price goes up

their worth is in their potential, not necessarily their current ability

34 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I can feel more bids coming in very soon for the players superior to Lewis. Cantwell and Aarons are my guesses. 

Aarons is an odd one because the most obvious options for him seem to have gone.

I see Arsenal have been linked with selling Bellarin which may open up a spot for him.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Aarons is an odd one because the most obvious options for him seem to have gone.

I see Arsenal have been linked with selling Bellarin which may open up a spot for him.

Cant see Arsenal spending that sort of money on Aarons, think the idea of selling Bellerin was to strengthen other areas of the pitch as they already have maitland niles to play in that position.

39 minutes ago, GJP said:

You've gone early on that. We shall see.

There was a story when we was after Quintilla think it might have been on the athletic about how they see Quintilla as a better player than Lewis already. 

Looks like mcallum will be playing second fiddle to him.

I'm not unhappy at losing Lewis - its good for him but he lacked goals and even ignoring new signings Barham was better even on the left and kept him out of 1st 11.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He wasn't tearing up trees in the Eredivisie first time out, I do remember that much. Although that's a fair point about his spell at Sociedad. I must admit he sprang to mind as an instant Norwegian counterpart to Haaland!

Really think this is cracking transfer business all round. As has been said we have adequate cover in that position already. In these Covid times 15 mill plus add ons  is a very good fee, but one that is realistic, given Lewis's age, potential but also already experience.

I must  applaud Newcastle for coming in with the readies, enough to make Webber accept the offer, its good business all round and further shows  how that initial Liverpool offer of 8 mill with 2 mill add ons was not only cheeky but downright insulting.

Wish Jamal all the best  for his move, hope he kicks on and does well for his new club. Good to for the LB position here, McCallum and Quintilla can be competitive and battle it out for that position.

30 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm not unhappy at losing Lewis - its good for him but he lacked goals and even ignoring new signings Barham was better even on the left and kept him out of 1st 11.

Mark Barham? We have done a cracking bit of business to flog a full back who can't get in the team because a 60 year old winger is better than him!

Always sad to see our better players leave even if we get a good price for them. Best of luck to Jamal. I won't forget what he did here, a ballsy cultured footballer who quickly became the best left back in the Championship imo. He'll always get a warm welcome back to FCR from me.

11 minutes ago, Ivana_rubyatitz said:

Mark Barham? We have done a cracking bit of business to flog a full back who can't get in the team because a 60 year old winger is better than him!

Can we include Barham in the 'home grown' number? 

I noticed he missed pre season as well. Wos gorn on in traynin ?

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Very true (although you could argue Ali's not been quite the same player for a year or more now), but without taking a statistical approach to it, I'd wager that a hell of a much larger proportion of "wonderkids" fall short when they make such a big leap compared to working your way up.

Alli has been brilliant since Mourihno came in. Watch the documentary aswell, it’s really good!

21 minutes ago, East Rider said:

33 minutes ago, Ivana_rubyatitz said:

Well spotted  - showing my age ana typo  🙂

Byram

49 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Probably too busy drawing his pension

42 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Alli has been brilliant since Mourihno came in. Watch the documentary aswell, it’s really good!

hello sweetie

image.png.2631964cea194a299be6a0c01cbb5ac4.png