Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

What is wrong with Cantwell?!?!?

Watched him tonight for England u21's and you could clearly hear the coaches screaming at him regularly. "Toddy this. Toddy that", barking commands at him as if he wasn't listening. Then they pulled him off. He just doesn't seem to have the right head space right now. Then you look at Aarons. What a performance he gave... fantastic. What's going on with Cantwell?!?

Great turn in the box to set up the assist for the 2nd goal. “Hauled him off” a bit strong considering some of the talent on the bench that were chomping at the bit to get on against a weak Kosovo side.

He is young had a lot of praise and name linked with big clubs maybe it is a bit much for someone? 
I know when I was his age it would of maybe effected me 

so he is allowed a off day / game 

Thought Cantwell was decent and obviously done enough in training to get a starting place in a side with a lot of talent.

He wasnt hauled off, its called a substitution. 

Making something out of nothing I feel.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Thought Cantwell was decent and obviously done enough in training to get a starting place in a side with a lot of talent.

He wasnt hauled off, its called a substitution. 

Making something out of nothing I feel.

I though he did ok... 

Whats wrong with players getting instructions? If anything thats a good thing helps them improve- And he got a fantastic assist for christ sake not like he played badly

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

Watched him tonight for England u21's and you could clearly hear the coaches screaming at him regularly. "Toddy this. Toddy that", barking commands at him as if he wasn't listening. Then they pulled him off. He just doesn't seem to have the right head space right now. Then you look at Aarons. What a performance he gave... fantastic. What's going on with Cantwell?!?

What game were you watching?!

He played well. He was given instructions from coaches, who were...... Coaching. He also got subbed. There's no controversy here.

Terrific assist from Aarons......unfortunately.

That on its own should be enough to bring plenty more vultures circling for his signature.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m watching Sexy Beast film now which I implore others to do the same, cracking movie. 

I generally dislike these sort of violent gangster movies, but this is an exception. I almost felt sorry for the Ben Kingsley character by the end (though not because of the manner of his end), & it took me a while to realise what was going on with Ian McShane. Excellent film.

I can explain this. According to the caption in the Daily Mail Cantwell has been transferred to Everton,, so it is simply a case of trying to cope with settling in at a new club and playing in an international match. Just all very hectic for a lad from Dereham...

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m watching Sexy Beast film now which I implore others to do the same, cracking movie. 

NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no......

10 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Where to begin, Where to begin 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Begin by getting your head out of your @rse.

Now if that isn't reasoned debate I don't know what is. 😀

Seriously though, they weren't shouting orders, they were yelling at him with plenty of verbal. It was picking up on the microphones. He just didn't seem to be responding to them at all.

9 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Seriously though, they weren't shouting orders, they were yelling at him with plenty of verbal. It was picking up on the microphones. He just didn't seem to be responding to them at all.

You got all this from a game on TV?

Personally, I would ignore anything that Aidy Boothroyd was yelling, even if the guy is manager. 

The guy is a charlatan, a self-publicist, a phoney, and a silvery-tongued imposter who has somehow smart-talked himself into the England set-up. 

Todd will go a long way with England. But Gareth Southgate will determine that, not Boothroyd.

PS For clarity, I don't much rate Boothroyd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Personally, I would ignore anything that Aidy Boothroyd was yelling, even if the guy is manager. 

The guy is a charlatan, a self-publicist, a phoney, and a silvery-tongued imposter who has somehow smart-talked himself into the England set-up. 

Todd will go a long way with England. But Gareth Southgate will determine that, not Boothroyd.

PS For clarity, I don't much rate Boothroyd.

Didn't he win the Toulon tournament?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

40 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Didn't he win the Toulon tournament?

No. Absolutely not. The England team won the Toulon tournament.

Aidy got sacked by Northampton Town having taken them to the bottom of the League, if we want to compare playing results. His idea of football reeks.

He got found out at Watford, suckered Colchester for a lot of money, failed at Cov, and got sacked at Northampton...then sweet-talked his way into the FA. Staggering.

Talk, oh yes, he can talk. Scratch the surface and it's all about him.

Edited by Pugin

2 minutes ago, Pugin said:

No. Absolutely not. The England team won the Toulon tournament.

So when a head coach fails it's down to him, when he succeeds its down to the players? That doesn't sound fair, Stuart Pearce failed to qualify from the group in the European Championships didn't he? 

His job is to help develop players into full internationals isn't it? Provide a pathway? He's essentially got a completely different job to a club manager. 

I've always heard "great coach, poor manager" about Boothroyd which would make this the perfect job for him? No signings or contract negotiations, just given whatever players are good between 18 and 22 and told to coach them. 

And not many successful club managers would be prepared to take a job like that, unless it's one towards the end of their career who wants to slow down a bit, but the problem with 60 year old managers is that they are usually dinosaurs and old fashioned? 

The England U21 team wouldn't be able to poach a recently successful Championship manager would they... So any realistic candidate would probably be coming off the back of a failure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

So when a head coach fails it's down to him, when he succeeds its down to the players? 

No, but if you look at the trophy and look at the records and they say that the tournament was won by ''England''. It does not say ''Adrian Boothrord''. 

QED England won the tournament, not Aidy Boothroyd.

You bring Stuart Pearce into the discussion. Well, by the same token the players will have sussed Pearcey within a few games or less. Players always do. There's no hiding place for a manager. Occasionally, a manager will inspire real admiration and respect. But they are few and far between. I guarantee that the players laugh at Aidy behind his back. He can impress the press with his talk, but it won't work with players. They understand too much about the game.

2 minutes ago, Pugin said:

No, but if you look at the trophy and look at the records and they say that the tournament was won by ''England''. It does not say ''Adrian Boothrord''. 

You bring Stuart Pearce into the discussion. Well, by the same token the players will have sussed Pearcey within a few games or less. Players always do. There's no hiding place for a manager. Occasionally, a manager will inspire real admiration and respect. But they are few and far between. I guarantee that the players laugh at Aidy behind his back. He can impress the press with his talk, but it won't work with players. They understand too much about the game.

Yes, put him in the 'failure' section with Klopp, Guardiola, Ferguson, Alf Ramsey, Ken Brown and all those others.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Great film and probably in my top ten. Deeply psychological, even moving. Incredible performances by every actor too. A film that stays with you after you've watched it and there can be no better recommendation.

Neat distractive post to the subject of Todd Cantwell. Surreal even!

31 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Did Aidy Boothroyd sleep with your wife or sack you as the Kitman for forgetting to use fabric softener by any chance? 

Promoted with Watford and reached an FA cup semi-final, seems odd holding one failure against him forever. Don't forget that Worthington resigned from Blackpool for dragging them into a relegation battle before his success with Norwich. 

You are massively over estimating the allure of the England U21 job. Highly rated young managers with don't want it, the Cowley brothers don't want to be managing 8 games a year and watching U23 games every week. 

Oh and somebody tell Klopp that he didn't win the Premier League last season because it says Liverpool on the trophy, suppose he had better hand back his medal (very strange angle you are taking). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Also heard a few good toddy and well done toddy, they saw he was getting rattled because of the fouling and play acting that the ref was oblivious to

12 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Coaching from the bench? How extraordinary. Suggest you watch the Prime series about Spurs and listen to Mourinho coaching Dele Ali. It’s what they do .