Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Gibson official

Great business, last piece of the puzzle. Very happy with this summer and will be even happier if that window closes with none of our stars having moved on.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Loan and not a full, permanent signing..

Still, let's hope that for once we have a loan that works out.

033.jpg

It makes way more sense, we have an agreed fee presumably so if he does well we get him permanently and if he doesn’t we walk away.

3 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Very happy with this, gives us the option of 3 at the back, if we don't lose Godfrey, or a 2 with Zimmermann. 

3 at the back is fun and all but how handling it? We played 3 at the back around 2 seasons ago with 2 up top and a makeshift 5 with Lewis and Reed as makeshift wingbacks and it didnt quite work out

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

3 at the back is fun and all but how handling it? We played 3 at the back around 2 seasons ago with 2 up top and a makeshift 5 with Lewis and Reed as makeshift wingbacks and it didnt quite work out

I only said it's now an option, not what I think we'll use as our regular formation. 

Seems Gibson has really managed to upset some Burnley fans (and also Boro fans but that's different). Wonder if he really does have a bad attituide or if it's just something like our Naismith situation.

I wouldnt want 3 at the back if the wing backs were to the detriment of playing wingers i.e hernandez ,placheta.

We should be on front foot in every game in this league and I'd want my wide men as far up the pitch as possible without any defensive responsibilities.

We shouldnt be cjanging our whole formation just to accomodate numerous centre halves.

Farke needs to make a decision as to who our 2 best centre halves are.

However these things have a habit of sorting themselves out....

Hanley is injury prone, Klose is past it, will Godfrey even still be here come the October transfer deadline?

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Seems Gibson has really managed to upset some Burnley fans (and also Boro fans but that's different). Wonder if he really does have a bad attituide or if it's just something like our Naismith situation.

You would be rather angry if a player signed for you for 15 million with massive hopes and hype only for him to end up hating your club and manager and only playing 1 game for them in 2 years all while still being paid weekly wages every week on the regular of 40,000  pounds

Cause' that's Ben Gibson story at Burnley

I imagine he got hugely disappointed, from being in the England set-up and a £15m transfer to next-to-no games for 2 years.  That would annoy anyone with any ambition on a personal level; from what I’ve read he’s very keen to get back playing.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I imagine he got hugely disappointed, from being in the England set-up and a £15m transfer to next-to-no games for 2 years.  That would annoy anyone with any ambition on a personal level; from what I’ve read he’s very keen to get back playing.

Plus the only game he did play for them he got two yellows thus red and sent off before half time.

That's all he has to his name for 15 million at Burnley.

Their fans have a right to be pissed at him.

At last we have a natural left sided centre half, I know Klose is left footed and as much as I like him, he won`t be a regular starter for us. Godfrey and Hanley both played there but never looked comfortable, would be good to see Godfrey on his favoured side should he stay, if Gibson can get back to his best then we have a very good signing.

To be fair to Webber and his team, they're generally good at picking up the players that seem to be needed in terms of positions. Our recent loan record is not the greatest though (although I maintain Fährmann actually worked out quite well as it clearly got Krul up a couple of gears). We were crying out for a DM near the start of last season and they got Amadou in. Unfortunately it was more Ama-doodoo instead of Am-a-dou-dou-dou, push pineapples, shake a tree...

Needed a more tigerish presence in DM, Skipp's been brought in. Needed more pace, Placheta's come in. Needed full-backs, Mumba, McCallum and Xavi have been brought in. Needed a different form of attacking threat, in comes Hugill. Needed some young and more mobile talent for DM, Skipp and Sorensen are in.

I get the impression they know what they want, but they'll not dive in for the sake of it. This deal looks a good one. Put the onus on Gibson to perform.

• Like 4

Great Signing was well thought of and in and around England set up 

Just hope 2 years without playing has not caused to much damage to his ability 

12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fantastic signing, final piece of the jigsaw for operation promotion. 

Final piece apart from that third goalkeeper...

Wouldn't mind if he did, it's only the bloody Carabao. If the rump side wins, great. If not, so what? The fixture congestion it brings with four mid-week matches in September (if we get that far)...

That does raise a question. Has Farke gone for so much depth with the aim of giving the cups a crack?

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wouldn't mind if he did, it's only the bloody Carabao. If the rump side wins, great. If not, so what? The fixture congestion it brings with four mid-week matches in September (if we get that far)...

That does raise a question. Has Farke gone for so much depth with the aim of giving the cups a crack?

No tears if we lose tomorrow, a win would be a bonus but the bigger picture is obvious. 

Don't think anyone can accuse the club of lacking ambition now. This is the most proactive and ballsy transfer window in the clubs history. I wouldn't even be devastated to see Godfrey go now as we have plenty of experience in that position to take over now.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Don't think anyone can accuse the club of lacking ambition now. This is the most proactive and ballsy transfer window in the clubs history. 

It’s certainly ambitious and very obvious that they’re targeting promotion.

• Like 1

If we can get him back playing the way he was before his move to Burnley and his hernia issues then this is a great move.. was in the England squad for a while...

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No tears if we lose tomorrow, a win would be a bonus but the bigger picture is obvious. 

Glorified friendly for all I care to be honest, rather we get out of it early to ease our fixture congestion so we can focus on the league in all honestly