Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell, Buendia

If these 5 left (which they all wont) but hypothetically would you feel confident going into the season with this squad.

Krul McGovern
Byram Mumba
Quintilla Mcallum
Gibson Hanley Zimmermann Klose
Tettey McLean Vrancic Skipp Sorensen Rupp
Placheta Hernandez Martin Dowell Stiepermann Sinani
Pukki Hugill Idah

Personally I feel we would need cover if Aarons was to move as Byram has an awfull injury record. Also feel maybe if Buendia went then someone down the right side unless that's where Sinani can play or where he intends on using Dowell.

In an ideal world if we was to lose anyone it would be Lewis and Cantwell as there replacements are already here.

That's 24 alone without the five you mention

Not sure how many are below the age requirement and whether one or two might go out on loan

but we do seem to be getting near the 25 limit

nb under 21 - Aarons, Sitti, Mumba, Martin, Idah, Skipp and Dennis (who could cover at RB)

Edited by Bill

Even if we lost all 5 we still have a very young core to that team with bags of potential. I won’t think that we’d be too far away from top three but with the 5 still here I genuinely think they are 5 of the best players in this league, can’t see many better (loans aside).

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Have to keep Buendia. I hope we keep at least three with Cantwell and Lewis being the two I'd feel least unhappy losing.

I agree that if we’re to lose two they would probably be the two with least impact in my opinion.

I think more likely to lose Godfrey and Aaron’s.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I agree that if we’re to lose two they would probably be the two with least impact in my opinion.

I think more likely to lose Godfrey and Aaron’s.

Lewis seems to be the only one in the press speculation though... Maybe the swoop for Gibson is based on Godfrey movements... I would move on Klose based on his performance tail end of the season.

If Gibson signs, I wouldn't be disappointed to lose Godfrey for £20m+. Most of his value is based on potential, because at the moment he isn't any better defensively than Gibson, Zimmermann and Hanley.

Lewis is clearly our best left back, but we do have good cover for him in Quintilla and McCallum. Ideally he'd stay, but if we got £15m+ for him I wouldn't be disappointed.

Buendia and Cantwell play in a position that's very well stocked but they are the best two, so I'd try to keep both of them if possible. I'd certainly hate to see both leave.

I'd like to see Aarons stay too because Byram is injury-prone and Mumba has no experience at this level, but Aarons is arguably the most 'ready' for Premier League football so keeping him might be a struggle.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Even if we lost all 5 we still have a very young core to that team with bags of potential. I won’t think that we’d be too far away from top three but with the 5 still here I genuinely think they are 5 of the best players in this league, can’t see many better (loans aside).

I would suggest that even losing all five we would still be one of the strongest squads

Those clubs that would normally be up to it are in the PL...............Villa, WBA, Leeds, Sheff Utd and Fulham

And the value of the players named is in the potential and being home grown - maybe Quintilla is as good as Lewis, but for the reasons stated would nowt command such a fee

We should cash in while e can

• Like 1

When you look at it like this, considering the signings we have already made, the prospect of losing the most transfer talked about 5 doesnt look as daunting as it did only a few weeks ago.

Factor in some relevant cover if any of them do go and I think im happy with the setup for the most part.

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

I would suggest that even losing all five we would still be one of the strongest squads

Those clubs that would normally be up to it are in the PL...............Villa, WBA, Leeds, Sheff Utd and Fulham

And the value of the players named is in the potential and being home grown - maybe Quintilla is as good as Lewis, but for the reasons stated would nowt command such a fee

We should cash in while e can

It's hard to keep replacing a Maddison or a Buendia with equally exciting and important players... Would hate to see him go to a West Ham or a Leeds....

Sinani/Dowell I guess are already here to be Buendia/Cantwell replacement.

I'm not sure what position Sinani plays whether it's a no10, wide or up top but there was a few things going round on Twitter about how much hes impressed the coaching staff in training and looks alot better than they thought.

Cantwell and Buendia should rip up the Championship. I doubt they'll both go, but Dowell is a very promising alternative.

As for whether any or all will go, a good performance by any of them in the internationals this week and things can change very quickly.

Our transfer work so far suggest that a couple are likely to move on, as to be expected.

Edited by hogesar

14 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Sinani/Dowell I guess are already here to be Buendia/Cantwell replacement.

I'm not sure what position Sinani plays whether it's a no10, wide or up top but there was a few things going round on Twitter about how much hes impressed the coaching staff in training and looks alot better than they thought.

I'd be surprised if Sinani was brought in to replace Buendia or Cantwell. He strikes me more of a McDonald/Kamara/Srbeny type punt on a player from a lower level who could provide backup and hopefully develop into something more.

Hopefully the second paragraph is true though and he is better than he has been given credit for.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Our transfer work so far suggest that a couple are likely to move on, as to be expected.

Agreed. Otherwise we're racking up one hell of a wage bill vs our likely Championship revenue.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Lewis seems to be the only one in the press speculation though... Maybe the swoop for Gibson is based on Godfrey movements... I would move on Klose based on his performance tail end of the season.

If we knew we could keep Godfrey and have both Zimbo and Gibson fit for aseason, I’d get shot of both Klose and Hanley. But our injury record indicates we might be best to go with the all.

Losing Aarons and Lewis might just improve us defensively with less attacking options.  Relying on wingers for adding width rather than the current FB's. 

I don’t get the criticism of Godfrey, he’s been our best defender for two seasons, young and learning.

As for a Gibson, is it correct he’s not really played in two seasons? Just looked on line, what’s that about has he been injured or just not good enough? If so he’s not likely to be anywhere near match sharp.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I don’t get the criticism of Godfrey, he’s been our best defender for two seasons, young and learning.

As for a Gibson, is it correct he’s not really played in two seasons? Just looked on line, what’s that about has he been injured or just not good enough? If so he’s not likely to be anywhere near match sharp.

1) I agree totally, ball playing centre halves with pace are much rarer than a classicly strong hoof it out player, and the sort of player that top sides are constantly on the look out for as the others are easily available at a much lower price.

2) Gibson had an awful start at Burnley, got dropped and never regained his place. I believe someone said that he had a loan lined up at one point, Burnley reneged on letting him go, there was a big fallout and he's been completely frozen out since.

I didn't rate him when they paid 15mil for him, he's now had 2 years of basically not playing, so he could well take time to get up to speed, and certainly has work to do to justify not only his transfer fee to them, but that he is still the same player he was before.

I just have a hunch that Cantwell may well move on, He's had such a low profile pre-season so far and was in and out of the team at the end of last season as well. And I think he's probably the one of that five we would miss the least.

Similarly if we do get Gibson i'd be half tempted if we got a big money offer for Godfrey because as much as I think he has massive potential and he has all the physical attributes to be a big success in that position, he still has moments when he switches off and lets his man drift away from him. Most of the time his pace gets him out of trouble but not all the time. 

6 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

1) I agree totally, ball playing centre halves with pace are much rarer than a classicly strong hoof it out player, and the sort of player that top sides are constantly on the look out for as the others are easily available at a much lower price.

2) Gibson had an awful start at Burnley, got dropped and never regained his place. I believe someone said that he had a loan lined up at one point, Burnley reneged on letting him go, there was a big fallout and he's been completely frozen out since.

I didn't rate him when they paid 15mil for him, he's now had 2 years of basically not playing, so he could well take time to get up to speed, and certainly has work to do to justify not only his transfer fee to them, but that he is still the same player he was before.

Thanks Indy B, not really followed Gibson so had no knowledge, last time I saw him was in the playoff final where I thought he was pretty ordinary, always thought Ayala the best of Boros defenders over the years.

Reality is Gibson could well never gain his form and end up being another Raggett who never gets that good. We shall see.

I actually think the best spell we had by any centre back last season was Hanley when he came back from injury in the second half of the season (before he got injured again) and actually looked fully fit for a while. Our defending improved considerably during that period, including from crosses/set pieces. A fully fit Hanley is a very good defender. if he's not fully fit then he struggles at premier league level.

11 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

He only played 1 league game for Burnley. Did he get dropped? Admittedly they lost 5-1 (he also scored) but a bit harsh he never got another game for them. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I actually think the best spell we had by any centre back last season was Hanley when he came back from injury in the second half of the season (before he got injured again) and actually looked fully fit for a while. Our defending improved considerably during that period, including from crosses/set pieces. A fully fit Hanley is a very good defender. if he's not fully fit then he struggles at premier league level.

Agree, but it also coincided with Tettey in midfield too I believe, but one constant is Godfrey, who at times got Hanley out of jail as did Tettey, but no question there was a run of games Hanley was very solid for us.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Agree, but it also coincided with Tettey in midfield too I believe, but one constant is Godfrey, who at times got Hanley out of jail as did Tettey, but no question there was a run of games Hanley was very solid for us.

I just think Godfrey switches off. He has all the physical attributes you could want in a CB but needs to learn to focus for 90 minutes. I don't want to sell any of them though unless we have to. with another year of experience under his belt there is no doubt in my mind he could thrive in the prem in the future. 

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If Gibson signs, I wouldn't be disappointed to lose Godfrey for £20m+. Most of his value is based on potential, because at the moment he isn't any better defensively than Gibson, Zimmermann and Hanley.

Lewis is clearly our best left back, but we do have good cover for him in Quintilla and McCallum. Ideally he'd stay, but if we got £15m+ for him I wouldn't be disappointed.

Buendia and Cantwell play in a position that's very well stocked but they are the best two, so I'd try to keep both of them if possible. I'd certainly hate to see both leave.

I'd like to see Aarons stay too because Byram is injury-prone and Mumba has no experience at this level, but Aarons is arguably the most 'ready' for Premier League football so keeping him might be a struggle.

Aarons is the nearest to being the finished article, the others still have to develop and learn ,So as you say it will be hard to keep him, I just hope we put a big price tag on his head. 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Agree but have we ever had a fully fit Hanley. He's never lasted a full season, so cannot believe he'll achieve that this season. If Godfrey went I'd hope we'd look to replace with the money we get. Gibson and a strong defender could finally give us a really solid defence