Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Team for Huddersfield

Krul Aarons Godfrey Zimmermann Quintilla Tettey Skipp Dowell Cantwell Placheta Pukki

McGovern Gibson Rupp Sorensen Stiepermann Hernandez Hugill

41 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Hernandwz and Palcheta are both NCFC players too....Fyi

Er... yes, I'm aware of these players. I can even spell their names correctly.

I believe that those players will be most effective against tiring legs. I'm not suggesting we play for a draw; I'm suggesting that we use defensive solidity (something that we have been sorely lacking and must learn to cultivate) and technical competence (the key tenet of Farke's philosophy) to dominate possession, and hopefully get ourselves in a winning position.

We can then use pace and directness from the bench, coupled with a more physical striker in Hugill, to take advantage of the gaps created as Huddersfield chase the game. Personally, I think that's what Farke will do. I could be wrong, and that's fine. If he takes a more attacking approach and goes with the faster and more direct players from the start, I'd have no problem with that.

I certainly wouldn't turn the stream off in a huff, irrespective of which team he chooses.

I think FTW might have already picked the team there too. Rupp is quite effective in a defensive role, while not being the main screener/CDM. Neither Quintilla nor Hernandez are fully fit according to current reports, and it seems unlikely Placheta will be thrown straight in from the start on Day 1. The lads will surely be feeling a bit 'cagey' at the start of this season until we get a few points on the board. Keep it tight, try to dominate possession & tire Huddersfield out (who were also beaten yesterday), try not to concede for the first 70 mins and then bring on the likes of Hernandez, Hugill & Placheta. I'd hate to be a defender on the first day of the season seeing them coming on for the last 20!

Obviously a win would be great, but a draw would be satisfactory to get things moving, if only to put an end to this miserable run of losses. It's a long season!

20 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Er... yes, I'm aware of these players. I can even spell their names correctly.

I believe that those players will be most effective against tiring legs. I'm not suggesting we play for a draw; I'm suggesting that we use defensive solidity (something that we have been sorely lacking and must learn to cultivate) and technical competence (the key tenet of Farke's philosophy) to dominate possession, and hopefully get ourselves in a winning position.

We can then use pace and directness from the bench, coupled with a more physical striker in Hugill, to take advantage of the gaps created as Huddersfield chase the game. Personally, I think that's what Farke will do. I could be wrong, and that's fine. If he takes a more attacking approach and goes with the faster and more direct players from the start, I'd have no problem with that.

I certainly wouldn't turn the stream off in a huff, irrespective of which team he chooses.

We're playing huddersfield not man city...where without fans , home advantage is minimal.

We can start with one and bring the other off the bench...without either we're paceless.

When we won the league 2 seasons ago with 94 pts and 92 goals , we had Buendia and Hernandez on either side for the most part, we weren't putting one paced journeymen like Rupp out wide to be more 'solid' at ordinary teams like Huddersfield then, I dont see why Farke would start now?

Just hope he's not as negative in his thinking as you are

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I echo the sentiment. 

I don't like these witch-hunts against players such as the one we're seeing against Rupp at the moment, especially when we're judging a player on a period when there were several players who were just as bad.

But playing Rupp on the wing when Placheta and Hernandez are available would be really infuriating. I know we'd be more solid, I know Rupp does the defensive side better etc. but we're not in the Premier League any more. We're a big fish in this division so the onus should be on us to go and attack teams, to maximise the chances of three points. If we want to finish in the top two, we need to be positive and target wins, not draws.

You're all forgetting Josh Martin. Farke does seem to like how he's progressing. Could be a surprise choice.Be surprised if he's not at least on bench.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

You're all forgetting Josh Martin. Farke does seem to like how he's progressing. Could be a surprise choice.Be surprised if he's not at least on bench.

Quite...put him into the mix aswell as Sinani, to be playing Rupp out wide would be little short of criminal

23 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We're playing huddersfield not man city...where without fans , home advantage is minimal.

We can start with one and bring the other off the bench...without either we're paceless.

When we won the league 2 seasons ago with 94 pts and 92 goals , we had Buendia and Hernandez on either side for the most part, we weren't putting one paced journeymen like Rupp out wide to be more 'solid' at ordinary teams like Huddersfield then, I dont see why Farke would start now?

Just hope he's not as negative in his thinking as you are

I'm just saying what I think might happen. However we do it, the most important thing is to win. That could be accomplished by dominating possession and making ourselves solid at the back - something that many fans have been clamouring for - or by going for the jugular. I'm pretty ambivalent as to which method we choose, but we absolutely need to win the match.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm just saying what I think might happen. However we do it, the most important thing is to win. That could be accomplished by dominating possession and making ourselves solid at the back - something that many fans have been clamouring for - or by going for the jugular. I'm pretty ambivalent as to which method we choose, but we absolutely need to win the match.

Well FTW, what team would you pick yourself, if you were the boss! Would you include the much-maligned Rupp in your starting 11? Pragmatism for a team short on confidence, or jugular?

7 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Well FTW, what team would you pick yourself, if you were the boss! Would you include the much-maligned Rupp in your starting 11? Pragmatism for a team short on confidence, or jugular?

Would probably start with Onel ahead of Rupp, although that does leave us more exposed when Aarons overlaps. However some of the criticism of Rupp on here is ridiculously overblown. He joined a failing team in the midst of capitulation, and has been granted no clemency whatsoever by a lot of our fans. I think he'll at least prove himself to be a decent squad player at this level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Would probably start with Onel ahead of Rupp, although that does leave us more exposed when Aarons overlaps. However some of the criticism of Rupp on here is ridiculously overblown. He joined a failing team in the midst of capitulation, and has been granted no clemency whatsoever by a lot of our fans. I think he'll at least prove himself to be a decent squad player at this level.

Hernandez would start on the left

I can see tge value in playing Rupp on the right of a midfield 3 , if we're trying to contain a team or see a win out...but to be playing as a wide man in the front 3, particularly when Farke himself said we're short of pace in the squad would be crazy

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I think the one thing we saw at the end of the season and from reports yesterday is that the lone striker was exactly that, a lone striker.

So we need to support Pukki or any of our strikers in that position.

Therefore Cantwell, Marco and Placheta seem the right mix of pace, skill and directness.

Martin is an excellent sub to bring on during the game and Dowell will be itching to get on the pitch. Just shows the depth we have.

I would like to see the full backs venture further forward and that is why Tettey and Skipp is a partnership I would like to see. I think skipp has a lot to offer and can again just move that ball to our creative threats.

I see however farke moving Skipp to the bench bringing in McLean to partner Tettey as it is a more senior pairing and as McLean has shown he can do a bit of everything. Just think we need to allow our better players to be further forward and have a more defensive central midfield pairing to slip out wide if cover is needed.

I always enjoy the idea of getting at teams early and having pace early. Give them that threat early. So I hope we do not play a more technical group. We know teams may sit back and see if we can break through. Not so sure start of the season the cohesion is there yet. So raw pace scares defenders and it is worth being a bit more direct when we have the ball at our feet rather than possession without too much threat.

One of my concerns is the concentration levels, we conceded a lot last season just before half time and also just after half time. In fact yesterday after we equalised, we did it again. Stamp that out.

The midfield 3 behind Pukki is really interesting with great players and then I think the defensive partnership now needs to play with some competency and leadership as Gibson is going to come in to this team very soon.

6 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I suspect however this will be nothing like Farke's 11, as he'll have McLean and Rupp in there. 

🙃 I wouldn't bet against it.

7 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think Farke will pick a team that's defensively solid and technically good, with the pace and power to come off the bench against tiring legs. 

Farke and “defensively solid” in the same sentence is an interesting concept...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Grando said:

Farke and “defensively solid” in the same sentence is an interesting concept...

Well I'm presuming that Gibson, Sorensen and Sitti were signed with that in mind. And we did keep four clean sheets in five matches in pre-season.

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well I'm presuming that Gibson, Sorensen and Sitti were signed with that in mind. And we did keep four clean sheets in five matches in pre-season.

Much as I rate Gibson and am happy with his signing and all- He hasnt played a match of football in two years and beacause we have signed him so late he's missed out on quite a bit of training and the friendlies.

Have a feeling he will be a little rusty for the first few weeks.

7 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think Farke will pick a team that's defensively solid and technically good, with the pace and power to come off the bench against tiring legs. Expect to see something like this:

Krul
Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey McCallum (assuming Lewis leaves and Quintilla still injured)
Skipp Rupp
Dowell McLean Cantwell
Pukki

Subs: McGovern, Gibson, Tettey, Sorensen, Hernandez, Placheta, Hugill

@Feedthewolf seeing as you are getting stick for a quite resonable selection how about this tweak?

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

@Feedthewolf seeing as you are getting stick for a quite resonable selection how about this tweak?

I think I'd rather have Tettey there than Rupp, he is proven quality in that position.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think I'd rather have Tettey there than Rupp, he is proven quality in that position.

So for solidity we have........

6 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Krul
Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey McCallum (assuming Lewis leaves and Quintilla still injured)
Skipp Tettey
Dowell McLean Cantwell
Pukki

Subs: McGovern, Gibson, Tettey, Sorensen, Hernandez, Placheta, Hugill

Not much width or pace in that team and no out ball. I can't see him leaving out Stiepermann and I think we'll start with either Herenandez or Placheta so for me its

Krul, Aarons, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Quintilla/McCallum

Skipp, McLean

Placheta, Stiepermann, Cantwell

Pukki

Subs: McGovern, Tettey, Dowell, Martin, Rupp, Hugill, Hernandez

Imo of the new signings this summer we will see 4 of them become nailed on starters for most of the season: Quintilla, Gibson (after a few games gaining fitness), Skipp and Dowell. 

Dowell should be playing in the no.10 position when Buendia is back but until then I can see Farke playing him on the right side with Stieperman chosen to support Pukki.

The left side is where I struggle.. we have Cantwell, Hernandez and Placheta all competing for that position.

• Like 1

I'd personally go with:

Krul

Aarons, Zimm, Godfrey, Lewis (McCallum if JL sold)

Skipp, Sorensen/Vrancic

Cantwell, Dowell, Hernandez

Pukki

What I expect to see is more like:

Krul

Aarons, Gibson, Godfrey, Lewis (McCallum if JL sold)

McLean, Skipp

Rupp, Stiepermann, Dowell

Hugill

6 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'd personally go with:

Krul

Aarons, Zimm, Godfrey, Lewis (McCallum if JL sold)

Skipp, Sorensen/Vrancic

Cantwell, Dowell, Hernandez

Pukki

What I expect to see is more like:

Krul

Aarons, Gibson, Godfrey, Lewis (McCallum if JL sold)

McLean, Skipp

Rupp, Stiepermann, Dowell

Hugill

Your first team will be closer than your second. Pukki will be first choice until a reason not to be is offered. Stiepermann will  be back on the bench. Rupp I expect will compete with McLean for a place. 

Krul

Aarons Zimm Godfrey McCallum (Quintilla if fit/available)

McLean, Skipp

Cantwell Dowell Placheta

Pukki

• Like 1

If Rupp starts on Saturday then Farke has really lost the plot. 

It should be Skipp and Kenny/Sorensen behind three from Placheta, Hernandez, Cantwell and Dowell. Pukki up front. 

Who I'd pick:

Krul

Aarons Godfrey Zimmermann Quintilla (or McCallum but he worries me right now)

McLean Skipp

Dowell   Cantwell    Hernandez 

Pukki

I think Farke will pick the same back 5 but infront of that will be

Rupp McLean

Dowell Stiepermann Cantwell

Pukki

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

So for solidity we have........ 

Mightn't be the worst idea to start with McLean in the no.10 spot for a few games. Knows the system, aerial threat, not afraid to crack one from distance, gets up & down the pitch, reasonable defensively and when we're out of possession. And also ensures Tettey gets to start, showing Skipp the ropes perhaps. Dowell needs to work for & earn his spot. I'd say there's a very good chance Rupp will get the nod to start until Buendia is back but I don't think Stiepermann will start. People are being a bit ambitious about "blowing them away from the start." Huddersfield are a fairly average outfit; however we're coming off a demoralising relegation & an atrocious run of losses while bedding in a clatter of new signings. Quite likely it'll take at least 5 or 6 games to get a bit of rhythm/consistency/momentum going (assuming we do!). 

A pragmatic "keep it tight & don't concede" approach for the first 70mins and then "blow them away" with the bench. While I don't think DF will start McLean at no. 10 and I do think he'll start Rupp as an extra midfielder, what if he went for:

Krul

Aarons     Zimm     Godfrey     McCallum (Quintilla if fit)

Tettey     Skipp

Rupp     McLean     Cantwell

Pukki

Hernandez, Hugill, Dowell, Placheta, Sorensen, Quintilla, McGovern

Nice options for width, pace & strength off the bench and plenty of cover for different positions. Not necessarily my pick but a nice & solid team to wear them out and go & win it in the second half. Sadly no room for Josh Martin, Marco, Mumba, Gibson (yet) or Vrancic on the bench though.

Why on earth would we play McLean in the no.10 role when we have Dowell Cantwell Steiperman or even Vrancic

What were we good at in this league 2 seasons ago?....lets not be complicating that or paying the opposition more respect than they are deserving.....and also as previously mentioned, until home fans are allowed back in , these ,what might have otherwise looked tricky away games ,lose a lot of that home advantage

Need to be on the front foot in this league , home or away regardless of the opposition.

The best way of getting last season out of our system is to get a string of early wins under our belt, starting with Saturday.

Pick the right team, with the right threats on the pitch and I could see a scoreline like the Blackburn (a) opener of a few seasons ago.

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Krul, Aarons, Godfrey, Zimbo, Quintilla, Skipp, Tettey, Placheta, Cantwell, Dowell, Pukki.

But I think as the weeks go on, providing we’ve lost no more than Lewis (big ask), players suspensions etc have ended, new signings upto speed -

Krul, Aarons, Godfrey, Gibson, Quintilla, Skipp, Tettey, Cantwell, Buendia, Placheta, Pukki with Hernandez and Zimbo very possibly taking a couple of starting spots. That’s some starting 11 with some very capable players on the bench.