The new season is almost upon us. Hard to know what to make of these strange circumstances but as ever I am looking forward to the new season getting underway. LUFC have opened up the coffers and have brought in some new faces. Don't matter who you are these steps are always a gamble so it will be a case of wait and see. I think we will be OK and have a steady season. I would be happy with  a mid-table finish and then hopefully kick on next season. 

I might well visit here on occasion hopefully to chew the fat and have some good natured banter. Anyho, good luck for the new season. it is going to be a heck of a scrap in the Championship and I reckon there will be around a dozen teams in the mix. 🤯

Laters 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

The new season is almost upon us. Hard to know what to make of these strange circumstances but as ever I am looking forward to the new season getting underway. LUFC have opened up the coffers and have brought in some new faces. Don't matter who you are these steps are always a gamble so it will be a case of wait and see. I think we will be OK and have a steady season. I would be happy with  a mid-table finish and then hopefully kick on next season. 

I might well visit here on occasion hopefully to chew the fat and have some good natured banter. Anyho, good luck for the new season. it is going to be a heck of a scrap in the Championship and I reckon there will be around a dozen teams in the mix. 🤯

Laters 

No one asked you...

What a bizarre bunch.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snitterfield Yellow said:

Seems a perfectly reasonable post by PhoenixUnited.  He might turn out to be the one and only LUFC supporter that does not have delusions of grandeur for the team he supports.

You are asking a bit much.

C’mon give the bloke a break. Luton Town are OK in my book and visiting that ground through an alleyway between terrace houses is a different experience. In any case a club that sold us the legendary Ron Davies cannot be all bad. 😀

10 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

C’mon give the bloke a break. Luton Town are OK in my book and visiting that ground through an alleyway between terrace houses is a different experience. In any case a club that sold us the legendary Ron Davies cannot be all bad. 😀

You ok Crafty?

3 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

I might well visit here on occasion hopefully to chew the fat and have some good natured banter.

Good luck with that on here!

I'm not going to go as far as wishing you luck, if I'm being honest you'd be one of the teams I'd like to see relegated, but any football fan who comes in peace is welcome in my eyes.

You can't accurately predict until all the business is done, but you're putting a lot of eggs in the Rodrigo basket. I can't really see him scoring a great deal in the Premier League personally and if he doesn't, it's difficult to see where your goals are going to come from at the moment. That said, Bielsa is an incredible coach and might mastermind survival, but at this stage if I was a betting man, I think I'd go for 19th.

Still, I'm sure you'll do better than we did!

• Like 1

I'd venture that Crafty hasn't mastered joined up writing either. Or is it a visit to Specsavers he needs? 😁

Edited by PhoenixUnited
Forgot reference to Crafty

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You are asking a bit much.

Always a good idea to ask ' a bit much' because then you are more likely to receive  ' enough '. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Laters 

We all say this before the season starts, but the grim reality is that it is almost impossible to "kick on" in the second season. The analysts will have worked you out, the players won't be quite so motivated and the teams who have been in the Prem for longer than you are nearly all stronger and focused on grinding out results.

It really is a sad state of affairs. The powers that be have allowed the Premiership to become a stale product and very unbalanced. Us "old timers" must sound like a scratched record, but it really was more interesting when the gap in quality between all the clubs was less.

• Like 4

I think the op is spying on us

Nothing to see here, especially anyone called Buendia

There is a Cantwell though! 

Another one? Or are you the same one in disguise?

Either way, hope you have a decent season.. Maybe you might pull a Villa and survive by 1 or 2 points via dodgy non working tecnology, who knows, Or you might just end up becoming the new whipping boys like we did.

Either way you're in for both some tough times and some good times, so make the most of the good while you can and enjoy the ride

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Laters 

Perhaps you should be more concerned in starting the PL campaign without a manager under contract. It would ironic, and slightly amusing if Bielsa walked away at such a momentous time for LUFC. 

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

If you finished above two of the other three United’s would you happy Pheonix? 

I'd be happy duking it out with West Ham, Necastle and Sheffield and finishing above them but that is easy to say and hard to achieve in this season. I do think also that besting Manure is a pipe dream to be realistic in this season. 

Sheffield did very well last season and a run like theirs would be a dream

12 minutes ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Perhaps you should be more concerned in starting the PL campaign without a manager under contract. It would ironic, and slightly amusing if Bielsa walked away at such a momentous time for LUFC. 

A plague on your houses is it mate? 🤨

Not at all, I’m interested in how Bielsa performs in the PL. The goals you score are spread throughout the team and the tactics used or adapted to combat the top teams is of interest . Pointless though if your board is playing hard ball with a character that’s likely to do the opposite that is expected and walks away and waits for a likely managerial opening in the PL when teams start to struggle. 

3 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

We all say this before the season starts, but the grim reality is that it is almost impossible to "kick on" in the second season. The analysts will have worked you out, the players won't be quite so motivated and the teams who have been in the Prem for longer than you are nearly all stronger and focused on grinding out results.

It really is a sad state of affairs. The powers that be have allowed the Premiership to become a stale product and very unbalanced. Us "old timers" must sound like a scratched record, but it really was more interesting when the gap in quality between all the clubs was less.

I accept that I am now a paid up member of the Old Codgers Club and agree that for a few seasons now the Championship is a much more competitive league than the Premiership. It's the same as the FA Cup falling foul of the filthy lucre.  Still happy to to be where we are a hoping we can make it stick. 

I think I might enjoy the Championship this season instead of going through it like a basket case. Your team faces a very tough challenge as there are a lot of decent teams all around you. I'll be watching with interest

Who are the decent teams in your opinion PU? I think I speak for most of us when I say it looks easier to do well in the coming season than the one when we were champions.

14 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Who are the decent teams in your opinion PU? I think I speak for most of us when I say it looks easier to do well in the coming season than the one when we were champions.

If we were still in the Championship I'd be thinking about the competition that would get in the way of at least making the play-offs. Last season it was dog eat dog; anyone could beat anyone but somehow West Brom and ourselves broke away a bit.  Brentford and Fulham made it a close run thing. Phew! 

For you this season there is IMHO - Brentford, Derby, Bournemouth, Watford, Forest, Cardiff and Milwall. These will provide stiff opposition and you may not enjoy the same kind of ride that you had the season you went up when you did look pretty darned good. Then there is the Wendies, Blackburn, Stoke, Bristol etc. With whom you just don't know what you are going to get. It will be another cracking season in the Championship

23 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Laters 

We are living rent free in Leeds fans heads

37 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

If we were still in the Championship I'd be thinking about the competition that would get in the way of at least making the play-offs. Last season it was dog eat dog; anyone could beat anyone but somehow West Brom and ourselves broke away a bit.  Brentford and Fulham made it a close run thing. Phew! 

For you this season there is IMHO - Brentford, Derby, Bournemouth, Watford, Forest, Cardiff and Milwall. These will provide stiff opposition and you may not enjoy the same kind of ride that you had the season you went up when you did look pretty darned good. Then there is the Wendies, Blackburn, Stoke, Bristol etc. With whom you just don't know what you are going to get. It will be another cracking season in the Championship

That's every season in the Championship, not just last. Which of course demonstrates why it took you so long to get out of it... 

2 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

That's every season in the Championship, not just last. Which of course demonstrates why it took you so long to get out of it... 

No argument about how competitiveness of the Championship. As for us we were a cut above the last two seasons but before that we were ordinary for years and didnt pull up any trees nor looked likely to. Be interesting to see how the relegated teams fare. I think all three will find it a tough fight

Still, we turned the corner and I am hopeful that we can continue on the current path. 

On 05/09/2020 at 12:37, The Great Mass Debater said:

Try to ignore the more rabid posters on here Phoenix. Im always happy to discuss football as a whole with fans from other clubs. Im an ex-Leeds season ticket holder too so happy to chew the cud

Happy always to talk football, rabid or otherwise. All it is is a bit of fun, a bit of friendly needling etc.

This looks like a site where people might have a go and object to views but it is all about opinions. It takes all sorts but I really don't get some of these forum sites that allow all the effing and jeffing with very little in the way of coherent thought. Haven't had that yet! 😆

16 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Happy always to talk football, rabid or otherwise. All it is is a bit of fun, a bit of friendly needling etc.

This looks like a site where people might have a go and object to views but it is all about opinions. It takes all sorts but I really don't get some of these forum sites that allow all the effing and jeffing with very little in the way of coherent thought. Haven't had that yet! 😆

It isn't that kind of forum (just stay away from comments about ownership!)

Edited by sonyc