Adam Idah's debut comes to an end. He put himself about gamely but didn't have a single shot in his 23 touches. On comes Shane Long for the final knockings.

Marginally better than his Old Trafford performance. Huffed & puffed, put himself about, a few passes astray but very little threat. Aaron Connolly looked more likely in a half-decent Ireland showing. Two poor teams though, in a poor match. Once again Ireland saved by a set-piece, another Duffy special. He'll probably come off the bench to replace Connolly or Shane Long after 75mins against Teemu's Finland. 

What I’ve seen of Idah so far I’m not sure he’s ready for The Championship. If it was me I’d send him on loan until January  at Sunderland or somewhere to see if he can gain some momentum. Just a thought. 

He ran the line very well.   Was man marked constantly but gave as good as he got.   He still held ball up well.    Strikers need service and quality into the box, he didn’t get much.   Should have had better movement to find space on one occasion but still managed to create at least two clear opportunities for teammates.   
Ireland aren’t a countering team so everything was a slow build up.   From what I’ve seen, you give him service, he gets shots off, he’s alert, a handful.  Once he starts scoring, his confidence will soar.

Hes doing all the right things but he needs to work on timing of runs and positioning a bit.  This will come with playing with the team more.

I’d read that he held up the ball fairly well and then played the ball backwards to a team mate, which could have been effective if a team mate was running on. But not too much threat. 

10 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

What I’ve seen of Idah so far I’m not sure he’s ready for The Championship. If it was me I’d send him on loan until January  at Sunderland or somewhere to see if he can gain some momentum. Just a thought. 

I have to agree

He has flattered to deceive at times and without that hatrick at Preston I wonder if he would be held in such high acclaim

Regular football would be better, than sub appearances for City

I thought he might move out on loan after Hugill signed as I thought Sinani was going to be used as a striker. Idah does have pace which none of our other strikers have tho.

Would probably benefit more from a season long loan in league one than a season being a bit part 3rd choice striker.

I'm quite surprised he's getting started for ROI - not sure if that says more about their available options or how much they rate him?

He's good enough to be in our first team squad and get a cap for a half decent international team. Clearly both of those managers like what they see, and they probably know a bit more about what he needs.

5 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

I'm quite surprised he's getting started for ROI - not sure if that says more about their available options or how much they rate him?

Their new manager is a big fan of his, which is why he's probably been over promoted. Ireland are trying to reinvent themselves and this team is very much one with an eye on the future. I'm sure Ireland will tell Idah to push for a loan move to get game time - will be interesting to see how Norwich manage him this season - he played most of his minutes on the left wing last season but that position is also pretty healthily stocked at the moment. I suspect he'll be kept around the Norwich first team as he offers something a bit different. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

Just now, Canarywary said:

As others have said, it's so hard to see him getting many minutes unless Pukki or Hugill get injured.

....Or if they don’t come up with the goods , heaven forfend

He was comfortably our best striker in the period after lockdown - he's considerably quicker than our other two strikers and offers far more in the air than Teemu - think he'll play a valuable role for us this season and would be really surprised if we sent him out on loan. 

5 hours ago, Canarywary said:

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Their new manager is a big fan of his, which is why he's probably been over promoted. 

The actual reason probably has something to do with him being eligible to play for another nation, who happen to be right next to Ireland in the World Rankings. They wanted to get him capped as his dad is Nigerian.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The actual reason probably has something to do with him being eligible to play for another nation, who happen to be right next to Ireland in the World Rankings. They wanted to get him capped as his dad is Nigerian.

If that was the only reason you give him 5 mins off the bench at the end - you don't need to start a player to cap-tie them.

The fact the Ireland manager was the U21s manager and has been tasked with rejuvenating the Ireland team is probably more pertinent than a risk of him playing for Nigeria (especially when Idah has always said he wants to play for Ireland). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

He was comfortably our best striker in the period after lockdown - he's considerably quicker than our other two strikers and offers far more in the air than Teemu - think he'll play a valuable role for us this season and would be really surprised if we sent him out on loan. 

To be fair, Teemu was horribly out of form and Drmic has generally been underwhelming at best, so that's not a great seal of approval.