1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

3 at the back would be a dream!

Krul

Zimmermann, Godfrey, Gibson

Aarons, Lewis

Skipp, McClean

Buendia, Cantwell

Pukki

I like the three-at-the-back system, but it seems a waste to not play 4-2-3-1 considering we have Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta, Dowell, Stiepermann, Sinani and Martin for the three attacking roles.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I like the three-at-the-back system, but it seems a waste to not play 4-2-3-1 considering we have Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta, Dowell, Stiepermann, Sinani and Martin for the three attacking roles.

I agree, where do you fit Idah or Hugill in that system. 

Edited by Indy

Gibson was the Boro player Redmond skipped round (leaving him on his backside) when scoring our second at Wembley

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Indeed. Who wants their door battered down in a dawn raid ? 🙂

That's an... ahem... interesting euphemism.

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

Gibson was the Boro player Redmond skipped round (leaving him on his backside) when scoring our second at Wembley

If that's a reason to not buy or play him then we need a completely new defence next year...

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If that's a reason to not buy or play him then we need a completely new defence next year...

I seem to remember him skipping around our defence this season!

19 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

eh ?

where did I say that ?

I merely put it up as a bit of interest

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Was more just a demonstration as to what we could do. If Aarons and Lewis had the licence to bomb on, we could overload the flanks with Cantwell and Buendia acting as false wingers. Aarons in particular is very dangerous at doing this.

Certainly I'd be starting with a 4-2-3-1 though, nice to be spoilt for choice!

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Surprised it has not been mentioned yet that he is the nephew of Middlesbrough owner Steve Gibson.

there's hope for you yet Tom 😏

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It was mentioned several times in the transfer rumours thread when he was first linked.

Ah, ok Wacky i missed that.

Edited by TIL 1010

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

there's hope for you yet Tom 😏

My name is not Tom but i do know what Tony Powell looked like. 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Dont forget we lined up with 3 at back quite a few times 2/3 seasons ago. This is how it was with our 1-1 against the binners

20200904_115915.jpg

Gibson would be a great signing, but having a cast of thousands in midfield I just can't see Farke going for 3 x CBs.

Creates competition for those CB spaces (assuming no injuries), which can only be a good thing.

I doubt 3 at the back will be the most used formation in the season, but it is certainly something Farke has used and expressed interest in using last season (but never had the centrebacks to do it).

It is a formation that is especially good against teams that use two up front, which is certainly something you will see in the Championship more often than the Premier League. In the formation Cambridge shows above, Farke was using it to counter Ipswich's two strikers. It also played to Norwich's main strength that season in James Maddison. 

However, as other says a back 3 does then limit Norwich's in the areas they have the most strength - the attacking 3 behind the striker. 

What a transfer window..if Gibson is on his way...which looks likely now..its  the final piece of the jigsaw...all bases covered  (arguably) and on paper at least some real quality in the new signings. The amount of work that must have taken place to get all these assorted guys into the club  is likely  hugely  more than we even think...so hats off to SW and the club in  making this happen. They really meant business and the business was done...now on to the new season. OTBC.

• Like 2

That interview says everything about our club. Club structure so impressive, facilities state of the art, quality right through the club, lovely area.

He plainly has the hunger to play, but if he doesn't get into the team straight away and Zimmermann and Godfrey keep him out of it by playing well and keeping fit, he might start to get frustrated as he did at Burnley. He plainly thinks he's good enough and must be bursting to get out on the pitch......but he will only be one of four or five centre backs at the club and will maybe have to wait and have to fight for his place.  Great acquisition, but not above the players who are already here.  If Zimbo and Godfrey are fit, I would play those two against Huddersfield and Gibson will have to wait for his chance. 

14 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agree with this. It is lovely to have that option when things either need shaking up, injuries, wingers having off days etc.

Having it at your disposal is always better than not 👍

13 hours ago, Bill said:

eh ?

where did I say that ?

I merely put it up as a bit of interest

Sorry ... Not having a pop my friend... 

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

That interview says everything about our club. Club structure so impressive, facilities state of the art, quality right through the club, lovely area.

He plainly has the hunger to play, but if he doesn't get into the team straight away and Zimmermann and Godfrey keep him out of it by playing well and keeping fit, he might start to get frustrated as he did at Burnley. He plainly thinks he's good enough and must be bursting to get out on the pitch......but he will only be one of four or five centre backs at the club and will maybe have to wait and have to fight for his place.  Great acquisition, but not above the players who are already here.  If Zimbo and Godfrey are fit, I would play those two against Huddersfield and Gibson will have to wait for his chance. 

would be nice if he gets a go off the bench vs Huddersfield to help us hold onto a comfortable win or something!