Midfield was terrible today, Tettey/Rupp are hopefully 3rd choice as a pair. I'm not sure Stiepermann and Dowell fit together in the same side. We appear to lack a lot of creativity without Emi in the team, who knows what we would do if we lost him.

Rupp clearly being asked to play the McLean role, which is to cover as much ground as possible, but without really contributing in any significant way...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shambolic to say the least. Same old story, whomever plays! That’s twelve on the bounce Farkes teams have lost! Don’t think promotion will be on the horizon any time soon. Hope I’m wrong, but again poor team defending!

15 hours ago, Jools said:

With Luton starting from where they left off with more or less the same team strengthened defensively by new signings (Bree & Lockyer) and City starting from where they left off with a different team lacking experienced defenders I can only predict a victory for the Hatters...

2 - 0

Clark & Collins

Oh well, won by two goals and Collins scores (3)...

Where's my cookie, nuttynigel? 🙃

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Rupp the latest scapegoat then. 

Just so we know 👍

Nope, the latest player who is nowhere near good enough for this level and is stealing a living off us........... Just so you know 😉

Just now, repman said:

Midfield was terrible today, Tettey/Rupp are hopefully 3rd choice as a pair. I'm not sure Stiepermann and Dowell fit together in the same side. We appear to lack a lot of creativity without Emi in the team, who knows what we would do if we lost him.

I'm not sure this side fits together at all but with 15 players out, I'm not sure you can have a tactical set up to be fair. The subs bench says it all, basically only 1 senior player for each position on the pitch and that means we are playing whoever is available with no thought of how it hangs together.

I'll withhold judgement until Farke has options, then we will see.

12 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but my word Rupp really is a total bag of ****e!! 

It’s good to know one game in we’ve already settled on who the new scapegoat is.

• Like 1

Yes, it’s a depleted side but conceding 3 goals? It is a concern and Klose injured again. How many games has he played for us in his time with us? Time to say goodbye.

8 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Nope, the latest player who is nowhere near good enough for this level and is stealing a living off us........... Just so you know 😉

We’ll see come May but I imagine that won’t be the case. 

Never nice to lose but a blessing in disguise I’d say. People going overboard as per but with so many players away I don’t think too much can be read into today. Proper stuff starts next week, dread to think what will be written on here if we lose that one. 

I don’t really care about going out but I do care about us continuing the habit of horrendous, powder puff defending. And by senior players too. Farke needs to lose his sh*t with them and get tough.

other than that I thought it was an even game, until the needless goal we looked slightly the better side and given we had about 500 players missing and they had most of their first team out I’m not too disheartened.

Mumba looks good.

martin tidy but not yet strong enough. He should not be starting ahead of the other wide options we have.

jury still out on Hugill and McCullum for me.

Rupp gives the ball away too much.

disappointed by Stiepermann today. 

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not a bad result for a weak reserve side.

Absolutely, Ricardo, and now at least we can concentrate on the League.

Completely agree that Tettey is not at the races anymore neither last year. If I remember even when we went up he missed a huge amount of games which we mostly won. Someone should run stats on it.  He must be great in the dressing room but there’s no space on the pitch. Farke needs to get a midfield coach in not anymore new midfielders because it is he that does not understand how to get the best from them. Don’t think Maclean is going to be the answer, he’s got skill but does not follow game plans. He needs a good midfield coach to get his play up to his skill level.

Disappointing. To be fair if it had been a league game the side would have looked very different, that said there were enough players on display who are fighting for starting births that you would have expected a better performance. Despite what many say i have not seen anything of Rupp that gives me any hope or confidence that he adds anything to the side. Klose injured again, probably a minor knock  but i do not see him  as anything other than 5th choice CB. Lets forget this one and the performance at Huddersfield needs to be much better, i hope and expect it to be

3 minutes ago, Soberlater said:

Completely agree that Tettey is not at the races anymore neither last year.

But he was probably still the best of a bad bunch.

Anyway, I can't say I'm terribly disappointed by losing today. It clears a very busy schedule somewhat and allows us to focus on the league.

The drawback is obviously that it doesn't do much for morale and, without having seen anything of today's match, I've heard that defending left a lot to be desired which does ring an alarm bell- even though none of our (probable) first choice back four were playing.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

23 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Rupp the latest scapegoat then. 

Just so we know 👍

Not quite - he was rubbish last season as well. 

One blessing is thats a few cup games in September thats  not needed...the only  importance  for me this new season is the 46  Champs games...such a shortened condensed season that cup games are a hindrance not a help. At least a few of the lads got some minutes  in their legs today but other than that a day to forget...the real stuff starts next week.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

We’ll see come May but I imagine that won’t be the case. 

Never nice to lose but a blessing in disguise I’d say. People going overboard as per but with so many players away I don’t think too much can be read into today. Proper stuff starts next week, dread to think what will be written on here if we lose that one. 

Oh, I'm not bothered one bit we lost, I'll remain ready to be proven wrong re Rupp, but I won't hold my breath, he makes me yearn for Andy Hughes and Mark Fotheringham.

Edited by Michael Wynless Jones

4 minutes ago, Soberlater said:

Completely agree that Tettey is not at the races anymore neither last year. If I remember even when we went up he missed a huge amount of games which we mostly won. Someone should run stats on it.  He must be great in the dressing room but there’s no space on the pitch. Farke needs to get a midfield coach in not anymore new midfielders because it is he that does not understand how to get the best from them. Don’t think Maclean is going to be the answer, he’s got skill but does not follow game plans. He needs a good midfield coach to get his play up to his skill level.

He was our most consistent outfield performer last season, as evidenced by being second in the POTS voting behind Krul. Clearly signings have been made to reinforce this area of the pitch, but I find that statement frankly weird.

Essjayess - cup games are important because usually they got the second pick players useful game time and generally we won. I appreciate we were under strength but not really in midfield. That’s where there the problem is and it’s not the players it’s the system they are playing to.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

He was our most consistent outfield performer last season, as evidenced by being second in the POTS voting behind Krul. Clearly signings have been made to reinforce this area of the pitch, but I find that statement frankly weird.

He was also probably our best player today except for Mumba. Weird post saying he’s not at the races. Tettey is not one of our problems. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soberlater said:

Essjayess - cup games are important because usually they got the second pick players useful game time and generally we won. I appreciate we were under strength but not really in midfield. That’s where there the problem is and it’s not the players it’s the system they are playing to.

The problem today was simply defenders not clearing the ball when they had easy opportunities to do so.

we were controlling the midfield before we had to switch Tettey to CB.