Tettey and Rupp (yes, Rupp) at the heart of our midfield kept a clean sheet, it was only when Tettey had to move to the back and Vrancic (a player so many on here crave for) played there that we became more open and conceded goals.

Tbh the team was makeshift and didn't gel well. Hugill was disappointing and didn't really give 100% and our midfield went missing many times. I thought Mumba and our keeper did well especially. 

Tim injured again but i would be happy to leave him out of the team as he goes back more times than forward. 

Too many players didn't perform today including Onel who vanished after 10 minutes

9 minutes ago, Jools said:

Oh well, won by two goals and Collins scores (3)...

Where's my cookie, nuttynigel? 🙃

Looks to me like SOB, NFN, Duncan, Felix and your good self all ended in 2 points.

But I'm all heart Jools and if it hadn't stated "Norwich scorer" you'd have bagged 8 points. So I will list you first and you get to make the final Norwich picks v Preston. 

@Jools  19 Sept v Preston

@Duncan Edwards 25 Sept v Bournemouth

@Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB 3rd Oct v Derby

@Felixfan 17th Oct v Rotherham

@NFN FC 24th Oct v Wycombe

I'd love it if you winners could make those picks. The rest of the PUPs will all support you. And I will get in our generous benefactor PUPanons  good books. PUPanon finances the Norwich picks and likes it when different posters make those selections.

25 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Oh, I'm not bothered one bit we lost, I'll remain ready to be proven wrong re Rupp, but I won't hold my breath, he makes me yearn for Andy Hughes and Mark Fotheringham.

If you're as small and weak as he is you have to be a good footballer to make up for it and he's just bang average at best. Slightly more ability than Tettey with none of the physical prowess and no better than Trybull or Leitner physically or off the ball but miles away from those two technically. We should've cut our losses with the guy this summer, absolutely pointless playing him in our midfield. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Looks to me like SOB, NFN, Duncan, Felix and your good self all ended in 2 points.

But I'm all heart Jools and if it hadn't stated "Norwich scorer" you'd have bagged 8 points. So I will list you first and you get to make the final Norwich picks v Preston. 

@Jools  19 Sept v Preston

@Duncan Edwards 25 Sept v Bournemouth

@Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB 3rd Oct v Derby

@Felixfan 17th Oct v Rotherham

@NFN FC 24th Oct v Wycombe

I'd love it if you winners could make those picks. The rest of the PUPs will all support you. And I will get in our generous benefactor PUPanons  good books. PUPanon finances the Norwich picks and likes it when different posters make those selections.

🤓 

If we're saying that this is a makeshift team and not all of them are first choice players, why didn't Farke set them up to be solid and not concede?

We've known for weeks that it was going to be a game with players out, why didn't it look like they had been practicing for weeks together to be solid?

Farke making excuses before the game when he should have been training and coaching the team for today.

Against Luton ffs

10 minutes ago, Number9 said:

If we're saying that this is a makeshift team and not all of them are first choice players, why didn't Farke set them up to be solid and not concede?

Because they've spent the last 3 seasons adapting to the way Farke plays the game, which absolutely isn't parking the bus and defending for 90 mins hoping to grab one from a set play.

You cannot expect a bunch of guys who have virtually not played together to be a cohesive unit in just a couple of weeks ffs.

Even the players who have been part of the squad for a while now only know how the other players in that same group work together, the rest are almost unknown to them having only joined very recently.

It took Henry something like 17 games to start adapting at Arsenal, but you think Farke should have our backup players running together as a well-oiled machine in a couple of weeks - just lol.

Edited by Indy_Bones
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Because they've spent the last 3 seasons adapting to the way Farke plays the game, which absolutely isn't parking the bus and defending for 90 mins hoping to grab one from a set play.

You cannot expect a bunch of guys who have virtually not played together to be a cohesive unit in just a couple of weeks ffs.

Even the players who have been part of the squad for a while now only know how the other players in that same group work together, the rest are almost unknown to them having only joined very recently.

It took Henry something like 17 games to start adapting at Arsenal, but you think Farke should have our backup players running together as a well-oiled machine in a couple of weeks - just lol.

You doubt Farkes ability to get results after spending a few weeks with a group of professional players, which he hand picked, preparing for one game against known opposition. 

He seemed to find enough time to keep repeating excuses to the media over the last few weeks. 

If those players are untrainable and not good enough why did he buy them?

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Come on you Blues!  

Now that we have go that out of the way.... have we fulfilled our contractual obligation to wear blue now?

There is NO color clash with Luton. If you can't differentiate between Orange and Canary Yellow you are blind. 

The only possible clash is with Watford, and I'd rather see us wear a white T-shirt than that blue kit again. 

Of course they're not "Untrainable", but team cohesion takes time to build, and even a couple of changes can throw things out of whack when they happen.

We may have known the game was coming and their likely setup and approach, but at least half the team we put out today have never played a competitive game together, so expecting things to simply click is not going to happen.

We SHOULD have been good enough to beat them on paper, but mistakes cost us badly and fair play to them for capitalising on them.

Farke isnt' making excuses, he's simply pointing out the fact that when your entire first XI is unavailable, and you're relying on a combination of youth, backup players AND the fact they've hardly played together, it's not as straightforward as saying we're a better side so will win automatically.

I notice a number of other sides lost to clubs below them in the football pyramid today, and they didn't have our issue with having SO many players missing either, so why make a mountain out of a molehill???

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Of course they're not "Untrainable", but team cohesion takes time to build, and even a couple of changes can throw things out of whack when they happen.

We may have known the game was coming and their likely setup and approach, but at least half the team we put out today have never played a competitive game together, so expecting things to simply click is not going to happen.

We SHOULD have been good enough to beat them on paper, but mistakes cost us badly and fair play to them for capitalising on them.

Farke isnt' making excuses, he's simply pointing out the fact that when your entire first XI is unavailable, and you're relying on a combination of youth, backup players AND the fact they've hardly played together, it's not as straightforward as saying we're a better side so will win automatically.

I notice a number of other sides lost to clubs below them in the football pyramid today, and they didn't have our issue with having SO many players missing either, so why make a mountain out of a molehill???

I don't see it as a mole hill or a mountain. 

It's simply a game we shouldn't have lost. On the back of eleven other games we have lost.

25 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

👍

31 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I don't see it as a mole hill or a mountain. 

It's simply a game we shouldn't have lost. On the back of eleven other games we have lost.

If we lose next Saturday then I'll be genuinely concerned. Being out of this competition is genuinely a blessing, and the longer the season goes on, the more I expect our big squad to come into its own.

I'm trying my hardest to care about losing in the league cup but I'm struggling to feel any emotions. Possibly numb to losing as I've forgotten what a win feels like.

However, you'd think it would have been valuable to stay in it to give minutes to players in our very big squad, and that alone is a bit disappointing. 

Players like Idah. 

22 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If we lose next Saturday then I'll be genuinely concerned. Being out of this competition is genuinely a blessing, and the longer the season goes on, the more I expect our big squad to come into its own.

Fair comments, I think I'm looking at it as a continuation of poor results rather than ignoring the past 12 months. 

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

You are far too sensible a poster for this message board and one of the few people on here who gets how football works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Fair comments, I think I'm looking at it as a continuation of poor results rather than ignoring the past 12 months. 

If we'd won today but then lost at Huddersfield next week we'd still have ended the winning run... but given the choice, I think everyone would identify Huddersfield as the more important match. Besides, it's not like he chose to rest a bunch of players to keep them fresh for next week; his team selection was forced by the mass unavailability.

Next Saturday, no excuses. And I expect us to win.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If we'd won today but then lost at Huddersfield next week we'd still have ended the winning run... but given the choice, I think everyone would identify Huddersfield as the more important match. Besides, it's not like he chose to rest a bunch of players to keep them fresh for next week; his team selection was forced by the mass unavailability.

Next Saturday, no excuses. And I expect us to win.

There will no doubt be plenty of those 🤣

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

There will no doubt be plenty of those 🤣

Try and support the team for a bit, maybe learn to identify the odd positive for balance. See how you get on, you might enjoy it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Try and support the team for a bit, maybe learn to identify the odd positive for balance. See how you get on, you might enjoy it.

So 12 games without a win is 100% a problem but 15 options on international duty for the 1st team ..... In three weeks time a wet Wednesday not having a pointless game might seem a plus??

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So 12 games without a win is 100% a problem but 15 options on international duty for the 1st team ..... In three weeks time a wet Wednesday not having a pointless game might seem a plus??

Well yes, that's the obvious positive.

Last season we lost to Crawley from League Two, without all the international absentees and without the additional fixture congestion caused by the late start. The competition is a complete waste of time unless you're an established PL club looking for a back door into Europe, we just need to put all our eggs in the Huddersfield basket and forget about today.

Edited by Feedthewolf

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

There will always be some positive things which can be taken, Mumba seems to be a better prospect than his record would suggest. 

And I don't believe for a moment that you will be looking at the Huddersfield game in isolation. It's the whole season which counts.

My concern for today is a simple one, Farke had weeks to set up the team, several experienced players coupled with some talent who have been lauded as outstanding players simply carried on just as we have seen Norwich play for the past few months. 

The game today was a rerun of many failings recently. 

What's the common factor?

Farke 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well yes, that's the obvious positive.

Last season we lost to Crawley from League Two, without all the international absentees and without the additional fixture congestion caused by the late start. The competition is a complete waste of time unless you're an established PL club looking for a back door into Europe, we just need to put all our eggs in the Huddersfield basket and forget about today.

Still losing sucks

There will always be some positive things which can be taken, Mumba seems to be a better prospect than his record would suggest. 

And I don't believe for a moment that you will be looking at the Huddersfield game in isolation. It's the whole season which counts.

My concern for today is a simple one, Farke had weeks to set up the team, several experienced players coupled with some talent who have been lauded as outstanding players simply carried on just as we have seen Norwich play for the past few months. 

Farke 

Fair point and this season the player sales /buys are far better imo....I would say that Farke had no idea on the number of call ups and players not available. Early days keep the faith.

Farke 

Farke also won this division playing brilliant football last time he was in it, but you haven't factored that in for some reason?

We've played a pointless League Cup match with 15 players unavailable, against a full-strength Championship team. Six of our starting eleven had never started a competitive match for the club before. Four were teenagers.

This is a new season. We have a ton of new players. We've signed the experienced centre-back we were craving. We've signed pacy wingers and an old-fashioned centre forward. We've strengthened the holding midfield position.

The league is what matters. End of.

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Fair point and this season the player sales /buys are far better imo....I would say that Farke had no idea on the number of call ups and players not available. Early days keep the faith.

I would say that we knew weeks ago that the call ups would happen, of course he knew.

Did he prepare sufficiently? 

For example, would Hugill come off the pitch today thinking, that midfield really gave me lots of opportunities today. 

No, we just seemed to play exactly as we did so poorly last season, despite the new players. 

I’m not going to have claimed to have watched the game today or am that bothered by it but, from what I have read, the failings seem somewhat familiar.

11 minutes ago, Clint said:

I’m not going to have claimed to have watched the game today or am that bothered by it but, from what I have read, the failings seem somewhat familiar.

And that is a worry.