Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Defence Statistics where we need to be for promotion

In 2018/19 season we got promoted in fine form with an attacking brand of football scoring 93 league goals but letting in 57. That season there were 7 clubs that had a better defense than ours with Sheffield Utd having the best letting in only 41. Looking at last season in the championship 8 clubs let in less than we did in our promotion season with the two automatic promotions Leeds[35] and WBA [32] having the tightest defenses. Now i am not advocating defensive football but we will do very well indeed to repeat 93 goals in the for column again. Whether it be  a tweaking of tactics, change in training or a tweak of personnel both in defense and midfield IMO we need to tighten up our propensity to let goals in and shave off a dozen or so goals in the conceded column to enhance our chances of promotion. Last seasons performance of other clubs gives only a very broad indication of how they may do next season, but of the clubs that did not go up last season the best defenses were Brentford 38 Forest 50, Millwall 51 Swansea 53.  and Preston 54.  Some of those clubs would expect to be in the promotion mix this season and Forest seem to be selling one of their defenders for big money. There is an ongoing debate as to if we are short of another good quality Championship CB, i am in the camp that says we need another, where to buy that player from is i know the million or should i say the multi million question. Any thoughts on the CBs at Millwall and Preston who have a reasonable record and may not aspire to be in the promotion mix next season ? Jake Cooper at Millwall for example looks a good candidate 25yrs  6ft 4 ins and plenty of championship games under his belt and seems to chip in with 4/5 goals a season, anyway just thoughts. I do  think we have an excellent chance of going up this season but our Achilles heel is letting too many in and we need to tighten that up to avoid disappointment

Edited by Yorkshire Canary

I think if we score 1 goal more than the opposition in 90 percent of our games we will be promoted

maybe that is a bit simple but I like simple 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I think if we score 1 goal more than the opposition in 90 percent of our games we will be promoted

maybe that is a bit simple but I like simple 

65% should guarantee automatic. Sorry but I'm in a pedantic mood today🙄

• Like 1

Scoring twice for every goal conceded will guarantee promotion. Our average of just over 1.6 last time was very much on the low side for a championship winning club.

Finding the balance between attack and defence is one of the most difficult things to achieve in football management, plenty of our managers and others have struggled in the past. Personally I feel there has been far too much whittling about our goals against column two seasons ago, the trade off was all the goals scored and excitement that season brought. At the end of the day if you get promoted nothing else really matters.

Some of the most enjoyable seasons I've had as a fan have been the ones where we've conceded plenty but scored enough to make it irrelevant, even in seasons like 92/93 and 11/12 where we had a negative goal difference!

I've always enjoyed our football the best when we've played the more attractive, attacking, passing game, rather than looking for defensive stability and trying to grind out 1-0 wins.

The Stringer/Walker years were great, a couple of seasons under Worthy were great, the whole time Lambert was here was superb, and I really enjoyed our last season in the champs under Farke.

Whereas watching the team under the likes of Megson and Hughton was my worst as a city fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Some of the most enjoyable seasons I've had as a fan have been the ones where we've conceded plenty but scored enough to make it irrelevant, even in seasons like 92/93 and 11/12 where we had a negative goal difference!

I've always enjoyed our football the best when we've played the more attractive, attacking, passing game, rather than looking for defensive stability and trying to grind out 1-0 wins.

The Stringer/Walker years were great, a couple of seasons under Worthy were great, the whole time Lambert was here was superb, and I really enjoyed our last season in the champs under Farke.

Whereas watching the team under the likes of Megson and Hughton was my worst as a city fan.

Finishing 3rd in the Premier league with a negative goal difference was extraordinary.