South Sider

Kenny signs new contract until 2023

10 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You don't win championships with teams composed of 6/10 players.

I'd much rather have players who can turn out 8/9/10 performances in exchange for the odd 4/5 game, rather than someone who rarely does anything more than 6/10, and sometimes still only puts in a 4/5 performance.

I don't see the likes of Liverpool and Man City looking for 6/10 players, and whilst we're clearly not at their level, why aim for average instead of great or excellent?

Would you rather have a midfield of Maddison's and Buendia's, or a bunch of McLean's...?

Every good team needs a milner...

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

Every good team needs a milner...

And Milner has not been a 6/10 player for most of his career.

Yes, he's on the wane now due to his age, but for a guy who started as a striker for Leeds, changed his game into midfield, and then again into a full-back and he's done consistently well throughout, he's a far cry from McLean and a totally unfair comparison.

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Yes, he's on the wane now due to his age, but for a guy who started as a striker for Leeds, changed his game into midfield, and then again into a full-back and he's done consistently well throughout, he's a far cry from McLean and a totally unfair comparison.

What I mean by that is that every good team needs someone who is not exciting but is dependable. Never really stands out as best on the pitch but can always be relied on to perform. Yes, milner is better, but then so are the rest of his team.

Some of you haven't been paying attention. When a coach says someone is "the complete midfield player" that generally makes him a starter. I suspect Maclean is the one player Farke does not want to lose as we have no one else who does what he does, which is to play whatever type of game asked of him - CDM, CM or AM, right, left or central. I suspect he'd also make a half decent full back.

He's the kind of player you miss when he's not there.

And always delivering at least a 6/10 with an occasional 7 or 8 is not at all bad. That would put him in the Sky power rankings almost every week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Players like Milner and Henderson at Liverpool, and others at big clubs such as Fernandinho at Man City, Busquets at Barcelona and Casemiro at Real Madrid, provide a similar(ish) function. They are not the most skilful players in their side but they are so important in other ways.

It's all relative, and McLean for us in the Championship should provide a similar role for us in the Championship to these players at the top level, although McLean I imagine will have a little more responsibility in the offensive phase.

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But it's good enough for a backup, wouldent you say? With our injury record having a 6/10 on standby isnt a bad idea by my books.

...Farke clearly has his favourites....McLean wont be a backup.

For all our new signings our midfield will still probably be comprised of McLean and Rupp

I have no problem with players who aren't "exciting", Tettey for example isn't an exciting player, but has done an invaluable job with a minimum of fuss and flair. He knows what he's good at - winning the ball and passing it onto a more technically gifted teammate, we don't see him trying to play 60 yard through balls, running down the wing or dribbling his way past 3-4 players.

i was surprised at this then having thought about it Makes sense 

a very Good championship player and if we go up then a good EPL squad player 

so while he is not Fantastic player he can do a job 

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Some of you haven't been paying attention. When a coach says someone is "the complete midfield player" that generally makes him a starter. I suspect Maclean is the one player Farke does not want to lose as we have no one else who does what he does, which is to play whatever type of game asked of him - CDM, CM or AM, right, left or central.

A "Complete" midfielder is someone who is strong at all major aspects, not simply decent at most of them.

Flexibility is all well and good when your main players are unavailable and you need someone to do a basic job for a game or two until they return, but it's not someone you play in 90% of the games.

The difference between McLean and players like Wacky mentions, is that they all do the simple and truly important things extremely well rather than just being ok at them.

Maybe this distinction is ok at times at this level (which is where we are this season at least), but everytime I see a missed opportunity for a clever through ball I wish Vrancic was on the pitch, whenever I see a player go past him like he wasn't there I wish it had been someone like a younger Tettey they were up against etc, etc.

We don't just want to be fielding players who can "Do a job", we want players who can "Do a great job".

I seriously hope we don’t start McLean & Rupp, a major reason we’ve been conceding so many goals is their weak play in picking up players while we are defending, not strong in the tackle, surely Skipp and a Sorensen will be first two on paper for the CM pairing!

• Like 2

Really don't rate him. Does nothing well. Jack of all trades is right. Cost us two goals in the run in with pathetic powder puff tackles - you can't tackle like Leroy lita and then be declared an all rounder. Dont understand this at all. Hope he proves me wrong but theres a whiff of the Stephen whittaker here, extending contract of a player who is bang average and we should be replacing.

His tackling is awful and passing is ok. He wins his share of headers. I can’t see what he brings to the team, but I’m not manager. Hopefully he proves us wrong next season.

Good player at this level and a good character to have about the place. I’m not sure I’d have him in my starting line up though and worry a bit that Farke sees him as so “irreplaceable.” Has some tremendous games but also a fair few where he goes missing and our midfield lacks physicality. I think we will see him and Skipp as the starting midfield combo at the start of the season. Perhaps a more mobile partner will bring out the best in him as he does have a good passing range. 

Farkes judgement of players so far is significantly more proven than any of us posters. He will play most games next season and rightly so.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Really don't rate him. Does nothing well. Jack of all trades is right. Cost us two goals in the run in with pathetic powder puff tackles - you can't tackle like Leroy lita and then be declared an all rounder. Dont understand this at all. Hope he proves me wrong but theres a whiff of the Stephen whittaker here, extending contract of a player who is bang average and we should be replacing.

Absolute ****.

Statistically he was our best midfielder for so many reasons. Behind Emi only for creativity. Scored a goal - something which so many of our side did not. Won more aerial duels than any defender. Made more passes than anyone else.

Want to know who made the most mistakes that led to a goal? Not Kenny. Emi. This all according to the Premier League website for everyone to see.

The guy is a good player who at Championship level would get in any side. This new contract should be celebrated and the fact some people expressing these sorts of opinions above just shows how many Norwich fans know **** all about football.

By far a better player than Mario Vrancic, but because Mario can take a free kick, you idiots all lap him up. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

A few parallels with Russell Martin when he signed his last Norwich contract. Steady player but not one that fills you with much excitement in a starting eleven. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

19 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolute ****.

Statistically he was our best midfielder for so many reasons. Behind Emi only for creativity. Scored a goal - something which so many of our side did not. Won more aerial duels than any defender. Made more passes than anyone else.

Want to know who made the most mistakes that led to a goal? Not Kenny. Emi. This all according to the Premier League website for everyone to see.

The guy is a good player who at Championship level would get in any side. This new contract should be celebrated and the fact some people expressing these sorts of opinions above just shows how many Norwich fans know **** all about football.

By far a better player than Mario Vrancic, but because Mario can take a free kick, you idiots all lap him up. 

The fact that he was a regular in our midfield last season was ,if not the main reason, one of the reasons why we went down. We were never going to dominate any midfield with him in it.

He should be being moved on in the same draw as Trybull (who I would rather have kept) and Leitner....not having his contract extended.

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The fact that he was a regular in our midfield last season was ,if not the main reason, one of the reasons why we went down. We were never going to dominate any midfield with him in it.

He should be being moved on in the same draw as Trybull and Leitner....not having his contract extended.

Harsh but fair. 

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolute ****.

Statistically he was nowhere near our best midfielder.

In terms of passing he was 13th in terms of pass accuracy, 8th in number of key passes per game

He was 14th in number of tackles per game, 8th in interceptions per game, 11th in clearances

7th in number of succesful dribbles, our 5th most dispossed player and 8th in number of unsucessful touches.

As for his claimed aerial prowess, he actually lost 50% of the balls he challenged for in the air, which is worse than Tettey, Trybull or Amadou, and only 3% better than Vrancic ffs, hell, even Leitner had a better success rate.

In terms of mistakes leading to goals, if Buendia loses possession on the edge of the area after we've defended a corner etc that's one thing, but if he's lost the ball halfway up the pitch and we conceded from it, WTF were the rest of the team doing in-between???

Stats are all here to see: https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/168/Show/England-Norwich

So I stand by the points I made earlier in the thread and have now backed this opinion up to some degree with factual data, which is far better than claiming people are talking **** and know **** all about football...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

In terms of passing he was 13th in terms of pass accuracy, 8th in number of key passes per game

He was 14th in number of tackles per game, 8th in interceptions per game, 11th in clearances

7th in number of succesful dribbles, our 5th most dispossed player and 8th in number of unsucessful touches.

As for his claimed aerial prowess, he actually lost 50% of the balls he challenged for in the air, which is worse than Tettey, Trybull or Amadou, and only 3% better than Vrancic ffs, hell, even Leitner had a better success rate.

In terms of mistakes leading to goals, if Buendia loses possession on the edge of the area after we've defended a corner etc that's one thing, but if he's lost the ball halfway up the pitch and we conceded from it, WTF were the rest of the team doing in-between???

Stats are all here to see: https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/168/Show/England-Norwich

So I stand by the points I made earlier in the thread and have now backed this opinion up to some degree with factual data, which is far better than claiming people are talking **** and know **** all about football...

Although your stats show Kenny as overall our 5th best performer in the squad on overall ratings, which you could say is actually 3rd or 4th because some like Duda only played a few games, whereas Kenny played almost every game.

3 goals and 6 assists from 18 appearances in the championship season shows he's more than just a steady utility player. He was 6 out of 10 in the Prem, so I think we'll be looking 7+ in the championship. Anybody who thinks we could get promoted with a team full of Emi's and Cantwell's is kidding themselves.

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Farkes judgement of players so far is significantly more proven than any of us posters. He will play most games next season and rightly so.

Really have to ask.....if that’s true why did he persist with playing and defending Drmic? 😉👍

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Although your stats show Kenny as overall our 5th best performer in the squad on overall ratings, which you could say is actually 3rd or 4th because some like Duda only played a few games, whereas Kenny played almost every game.

And yet I don't care about their overall ratings because it's based upon some algorithm they've compiled to create that rating, rather than the pure raw data which can't be so easily manipulated.

If I see 20 goals scored, I know someone scored 20, if I see 1000 passes with an 80% success rate I know that 800 passes were succesfully made. But as soon as you add in an algorithm to create a rating based on that data, it becomes subjective rather than totally accurate.

49 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

The difference between McLean and players like Wacky mentions, is that they all do the simple and truly important things extremely well rather than just being ok at them.

But we're in the Championship, not the Champions League. As I said, it's all relative, and in relation to the division and level of football we're at, McLean is a dependable, reliable option.

28 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A few parallels with Russell Martin when he signed his last Norwich contract. Steady player but not one that fills you with much excitement in a starting eleven. 

Also slated by the masses unjustifiably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

You don't win championships with teams composed of 6/10 players.

I don't really understand this point considering when we last won the league Kenny was pretty much a mainstay in the second half of the season?

Best Farke could say in defence of McLean and Rupp was 'they covered alot of ground'

Waste of money, paper & ink.

24 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Oh Mr Bones. If I were taking bets on who gets offended by my post, you'd have been in the top three. 

The fact is, who scored records everything and you can piece together arguments for everything. Frankly, for a player who didn't play in a position intended to o a lot of the things you've selectively chosen, I think you could argue those statistics show him in a positive light.

Interesting below how the very website you quote has him as our fifth best performer based on their ratings.

You're defence of Emi Buendia against things that Kenny is now being lambasted for just shows how narrow minded your views are.

Frankly, @Indy > @Indy_Bones

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I don't really understand this point considering when we last won the league Kenny was pretty much a mainstay in the second half of the season?

And yet the reason we won a number of those games was down to the difference that Vrancic made, combined with the fact that he gave us 10 goals and 7 assists compared to 3 goals and 6 assists in basically the same amount of game time as McLean had.

Vrancic gives us much greater passing range and creativity, as well as higher goalscoring to boot. Neither of them excel in a more defensive role, but in terms of what they bring to the team and how that enables us to play (or not), he's a far better choice in my personal opinion, as he unlocks the movement of our attackers FAR better, which is why Pukki spent the 2nd half of last season with limited supply and having to drop deeper, rather than being able to make his runs because someone like Vrancic has the ability to find them.