South Sider

Kenny signs new contract until 2023

He’s a quality Championship player and IMO one of the few who proved himself a decent PL squad player. No brainer to sign him up, personally happy.

• Like 5

Vote of confidence for Kenny then. Will be starting at Huddersfield I imagine. 

Funny one to some extent, but I'm not surprised. He's a decent allrounder in the champs, but I can't help thinking we have better players that we've decided against using. Last time in the champs, despite still winning, our performances dipped when we lost Vrancic next to Trybull and Kenny came in. Leitner was better too. 

Edited by Il Pirata

Happy with this. He can sometimes pull out of the odd tackle here and there, but he's decent in the air and one of the few genuinely box-to-box men we've got.

Agree. Being decent in the air is something we have definitely focused on with our new signings, so happy to see his stay. 

(He's still got a ways to go to become accepted as our new BJ though) 

Not sure how anyone can be surprised here, he is defintely one Farke regards very highly and will be starting most games for us this season. 

Edited by priceyrice

My only real issue with McLean is that he's basically bang average at pretty much everything, a classic case of "Jack of all trades, master of none".

He doesn't do the defensive side of the game as well as Tettey or Trybull, he doesn't have the passing range of a Vrancic or Leitner, he doesn't have the quick feet and technique of a Cantwell or Buendia, and he's certainly no winger either, but at he same time he doesn't have some of the tradeoffs that the others have, however that still leaves me wondering exactly where you play him or who you leave out in order to accomodate the flexibility (if not great ability in specific areas).

We've seen he's not up to the PL, which can be said about a number of our players so far, and whilst he's decent at this level, for me I'd rather we had players doing specific roles and maximising their ability instead of someone he's simply decent at most things.

I can't fault his commitment or effort, but you could say the same about Andy Hughes and I don't think anyone was scrambling to select him because of this when other areas of his game simply weren't great.

For me he's simply a solid squad player, and sometimes you need a few of them to keep things ticking over if your best players are missing, but he shouldn't be one of the first names on the teamsheet, and don't understand a 3 year deal, especially if we do go straight back up, other than to get a better price in a year or so's time.

I'm not trying to bash the guy either, it's just I'd rather play people like Vrancic who have some great aspects to their game that we've been lacking at times even if they come with their own weaknesses that we need to work with.

• Like 8

No surprise here, he fits the system that farke likes and farke has said he is best 'complete' midfielder we have.

For me I hope we do improve in this area or players step up for the end of the season. As if he is the best we have then I am worried.

For me an obvious extension but one where I cannot see kenny improving as much as he needs to.

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

My only real issue with McLean is that he's basically bang average at pretty much everything, a classic case of "Jack of all trades, master of none".

He doesn't do the defensive side of the game as well as Tettey or Trybull, he doesn't have the passing range of a Vrancic or Leitner, he doesn't have the quick feet and technique of a Cantwell or Buendia, and he's certainly no winger either, but at he same time he doesn't have some of the tradeoffs that the others have, however that still leaves me wondering exactly where you play him or who you leave out in order to accomodate the flexibility (if not great ability in specific areas).

We've seen he's not up to the PL, which can be said about a number of our players so far, and whilst he's decent at this level, for me I'd rather we had players doing specific roles and maximising their ability instead of someone he's simply decent at most things.

I can't fault his commitment or effort, but you could say the same about Andy Hughes and I don't think anyone was scrambling to select him because of this when other areas of his game simply weren't great.

For me he's simply a solid squad player, and sometimes you need a few of them to keep things ticking over if your best players are missing, but he shouldn't be one of the first names on the teamsheet, and don't understand a 3 year deal, especially if we do go straight back up, other than to get a better price in a year or so's time.

I'm not trying to bash the guy either, it's just I'd rather play people like Vrancic who have some great aspects to their game that we've been lacking at times even if they come with their own weaknesses that we need to work with.

Have to say indy think this sums up my view

Good player. Couldnt step up to prem level last time but even then would be a good squad option if we do go up.

I get Indys jackofalltrades comment, but theyre actually hard to find at championship level and above.

My main concern with McLean is the same concern I have with all our number 6's except Tettey and it's how easily and often players can go past him, exposing our defence. He's a really good player at this level and as it stands our best CM so i'm happy to see him sign a contract extension and against weaker opposition alongside a proper DM he will be great this year.

If  we get promoted however we can't be playing him in the base 2 of our midfield again. He takes up the correct positions defensively but is too passive off the ball. But that's not something we have to be concerned about right now.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Decent back up player for us, but I wouldent want to be starting him all the time-Still, Got no problems with him staying around for a while longer though, he clearly loves being here and he does have the right attitude and tends to give a solid 6/10 most games.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Decent back up player for us, but I wouldent want to be starting him all the time-Still, Got no problems with him staying around for a while longer though, he clearly loves being here and he does have the right attitude and tends to give a solid 6/10 most games.

6/10 isnt good enough for a club looking for promotion

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

tends to give a solid 6/10 most games.

You don't win championships with teams composed of 6/10 players.

I'd much rather have players who can turn out 8/9/10 performances in exchange for the odd 4/5 game, rather than someone who rarely does anything more than 6/10, and sometimes still only puts in a 4/5 performance.

I don't see the likes of Liverpool and Man City looking for 6/10 players, and whilst we're clearly not at their level, why aim for average instead of great or excellent?

Would you rather have a midfield of Maddison's and Buendia's, or a bunch of McLean's...?

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

6/10 isnt good enough for a club looking for promotion

But it's good enough for a backup, wouldent you say? With our injury record having a 6/10 on standby isnt a bad idea by my books.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

But it's good enough for a backup, wouldent you say? With our injury record having a 6/10 on standby isnt a bad idea by my books.

The issue is that often McLean is starting rather than being a backup, and that isn't good enough.

• Like 2

Am I right in saying he wasn’t one of the gang that got a new contract after promotion was secured and before the prem season started? If so, his previous contract may have been a bit sh*te compared to some of the others. Especially someone that started so many prem games last year. 

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Would you rather have a midfield of Maddison's and Buendia's, or a bunch of McLean's...?

As strange as this sounds, I'd rather have a midfield of McLeans rather than a midfield of Buendias and Maddisons. The latter have too many defensive frailties in their game and would get picked off time and time again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You don't win championships with teams composed of 6/10 players

Has anyone said you do?

I'm with Indy on this too. Hopefully, freed of real defensive duties we might see him focus more on attack and prove he is more than an "average jack of all trades".  So in my view, I would only have entered contract extension conversations if he was showing signs of being an 8 + / 10 player.  I can't help feeling his constant presence last year stopped us seeing another player step up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You don't win championships with teams composed of 6/10 players.

I'd much rather have players who can turn out 8/9/10 performances in exchange for the odd 4/5 game, rather than someone who rarely does anything more than 6/10, and sometimes still only puts in a 4/5 performance.

I don't see the likes of Liverpool and Man City looking for 6/10 players, and whilst we're clearly not at their level, why aim for average instead of great or excellent?

It depends on your parameters I guess, but for me a 6/10 is solid and reliable, and every team benefits from a couple of those. They provide the platform for the inconsistent 8/10s to do their damage.

McLean has shown that he is too limited for the Premier League but he is good player for the spine of a Championship team.

I suppose if we’re realistic, not many clubs get promoted the first season down, so definitely a decent championship player, one who earns his place in the squad at this level. 
Should we not get promoted this year then can see a few younger better players going next summer, to progress their careers, so can see why the club have done this.

As others Indy B sums it up well.