dylanisabaddog

Cash to Villa for £14/16m

That's the reason none of ours will be leaving for less than that fee.

That's the price of a right back who has played no higher than the championship, is a year older and played the majority of those games as a winger.

Fair play to Forest there for holding out for a good price.

May give Liverpool an idea on why we wouldn’t accept their offer of £8m + £2m add ons for Lewis, although we also have no need to sell. Don’t know about Forest though

7 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

May give Liverpool an idea on why we wouldn’t accept their offer of £8m + £2m add ons for Lewis, although we also have no need to sell.

Absolutely right.

Their offer was derisory in relative terms, and I wonder if Liverpool simply thought it was still 2014 and that the 8mil they paid for Robertson is still the going rate?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Move Klose said:

that's the price of a right back who has played no higher than the championship

No, that's the price of a right back who scored more goals and assisted more goals in that position last season than Lewis and Aaron's have combined... in their entire careers.  

6 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Forest use that money to secure Ben Gibson it could be a bad result for Norwich.

Why? You said we don't need a fifth centre back in the other thread. 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No, that's the price of a right back who scored more goals and assisted more goals in that position last season than Lewis and Aaron's have combined... in their entire careers.  

13 assists in ,129 games isn't great when most of these were played as a right winger.

15 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Absolutely right.

Their offer was derisory in relative terms, and I wonder if Liverpool simply thought it was still 2014 and that the 8mil they paid for Robertson is still the going rate?

Maybe. I think we are probably also noticing is that the general prices of all players now tend to be going up every season. Once read that we sold Chris Sutton for £5m. How much do you think a player of his talent would be worth now - £50m?

1 minute ago, HazzaJet said:

Maybe. I think we are probably also noticing is that the general prices of all players now tend to be going up every season. Once read that we sold Chris Sutton for £5m. How much do you think a player of his talent would be worth now - £50m?

A homegrown, 20 goal a season striker who was also able to play CB if needed, who was extremely strong in the air with a decent shot, would easily get 30-40 million at current prices after that first PL season, and upwards of that after people saw his partnership with Shearer.

3 hours ago, Move Klose said:

13 assists in ,129 games isn't great when most of these were played as a right winger.

I said last season, which is the season he played as a right back. Pretty sure he didn't play 129 games last season. 

He was converted into a right back by Forests manager, and he's really good. 

With him being 6ft as well, perhaps Mourinho isn't the only one concerned by Max Aaron's lack of height - we did see him beat in the air at the far post constantly last season. 

Keep saying this to people who throw around silly £30m price tags for our players, that we don't have a monopoly on good young English defenders.... Brentford have got Rico Henry at left back who is rapid. 

Prices we can demand are partly going to be influenced by the price other clubs are asking for their talent. We can hold out for however much we want, but perhaps our £20m minimum offer isn't going to get as much interest as we believed.

Was 6 months ago that people kept throwing around £30m or £50m values, and not many of us were questioning that. I still can't see us getting £20m for Jamal Lewis even with Leicester holding a big wedge and in the market for a left back. Mainly because Jamal Lewis is pretty average in every area apart from athleticism, technically he's very average with no end product and he had a long spell of bad form last season.

Rico Henry is undoubtedly more raw (they've been linked to him too), but he's quicker and more direct than Lewis and Leicester may decide that they want to try and polish a diamond rather than buy a cubic zirconia. 

Ryan Sessegnon is rumoured to be available as well.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Adrian Coote was an International mate. 

Too true.

I totally agree with your point regarding Lewis, personally think he has alot more to work on in his game. Think you would be paying for potential rather than a finished product. 

If I'm paying 20m for a player I would want them to be comfortable playing with both feet. Which Jamahl isnt.

9 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Too true.

I totally agree with your point regarding Lewis, personally think he has alot more to work on in his game. Think you would be paying for potential rather than a finished product. 

If I'm paying 20m for a player I would want them to be comfortable playing with both feet. Which Jamahl isnt.

You don't see many left backs who can kick a ball with their right foot. 

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Well Cash, who just moved for £14m, is a right back who is comfortable using his left foot - that's what makes him so good. Assisted a couple with left footed crosses. I don't find it difficult to see how he achieved that fee, Forest turned down £6m offers when he was a teenager before he'd really become a regular starter for them. Not just come out of nowhere, he's been Forest's stand out young talent for a while. 

If we'd stayed up it wouldn't have surprised me if he were the player Webber would want to replace Aarons. 

28 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If he can go for that much despite having never played in the Prem it's no wonder we held out for 20m plus for Lewis and I think we were quite right to do so.

Why does playing in the Prem for a year automatically make a player worth more? I mean, Drmic played in the Prem! 

Can we expect a big fee for Trybull then, because he has now played in the Prem? 

Surely one has to impress in the Prem for that experience to add value or weight in transfer negotiations? Like Cantwell for example. 

Are you saying that Lewis excelled in the Prem? He was the biggest disappointment for me, out of the talented youngsters... Very patchy form, and it was a relief at one point to have right footed Byram in his position. Aarons and Cantwell the two who stepped up. 

Teams scouting some our players in the last 10 games would have been majorly turned off. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Cash does have that element of the unknown, though: no one knows how he will perform in the Prem - he may end up being a revelation. Aarons and Lewis on the other hand have had their moment in the Prem shop window and while they performed ok, there perhaps could be a wider perception that they’ve been slightly found out. While I don’t think that’s fair, I can see that there may be something beguiling about completely untried Prem potential that leads to inflated prices for those players (cf the Murphy twins, for instance)...

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not saying constantly using his right foot. How many times have you seen Lewis go down the left, the right back keeps him so he cant go past him, they know he wont cut in on his right. He normally ends up turning round and going backwards on his left. Happens every single game. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why does playing in the Prem for a year automatically make a player worth more? I mean, Drmic played in the Prem! 

Can we expect a big fee for Trybull then, because he has now played in the Prem? 

Surely one has to impress in the Prem for that experience to add value or weight in transfer negotiations? Like Cantwell for example. 

Are you saying that Lewis excelled in the Prem? He was the biggest disappointment for me, out of the talented youngsters... Very patchy form, and it was a relief at one point to have right footed Byram in his position. Aarons and Cantwell the two who stepped up. 

Teams scouting some our players in the last 10 games would have been majorly turned off. 

If anyone watched us after the restart I'm sure they wouldnt want to be paying 20m for any of our players.

Just now, Grando said:

Cash does have that element of the unknown, though: no one knows how he will perform in the Prem - he may end up being a revelation. Aarons and Lewis on the other hand have had their moment in the Prem shop window and while they performed ok, there perhaps could be a wider perception that they’ve been slightly found out. While I don’t think that’s fair, I can see that there may be something beguiling about completely untried Prem potential that leads to inflated prices for those players (cf the Murphy twins, for instance)...

Exactly. It's odd that people think showing yourself to be bang average in the Prem would increase your value. 

Godfrey another who's stock has fallen. 

Cantwell probably doubled or tripled his value. 

If last season was a PL trial, I don't think they've all excelled in it. 

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

If anyone watched us after the restart I'm sure they wouldnt want to be paying 20m for any of our players.

Cantwell, Aarons and Buendia could possibly achieve that, or close to it. 

I think Lewis and Godfrey have seen their stock take a big hit. 

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why? You said we don't need a fifth centre back in the other thread. 

I’ve always said I want to see Norwich sign another centreback. But don’t feel they have to rush into a deal and risk getting someone who would just end up being another back up. 

I think getting Gibson would be a good result as he knows the league, has proven quality, is left footed and good at playing the ball out from the back. I don’t think there are many players that tick all these boxes - which is why I say Gibson going to Forest would be a bad result for Norwich.  

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Watching Byram play left back and try to kick the ball with his left foot was comical at times.

55 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’ve always said I want to see Norwich sign another centreback. But don’t feel they have to rush into a deal and risk getting someone who would just end up being another back up. 

I think getting Gibson would be a good result as he knows the league, has proven quality, is left footed and good at playing the ball out from the back. I don’t think there are many players that tick all these boxes - which is why I say Gibson going to Forest would be a bad result for Norwich.  

This...

I know we would like to see a CB come in and I think it'll still happen. But one of the things we hear Farke and Webber say a lot is "if we bring someone in, it needs to be an improvement on what we've already got."

So... Not just a player to make up numbers but a starter. 

It takes time. I would be surprised if there isn't something in the works, even if it's with a view to Jan (when it's also possible some of our better, young performers from last season may get sold)