Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

From TWTD.

What about this little gem?

"Evans appointed Norwich's 4th best ever manager (behind Willie Reid, Ken Brown and Mike Walker) to take us down to the third division.... "

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/485543/how-does-evans-keep-getting-this-so-wrong/#40

Willie Reid?

I know he won the League Cup but it was more insignificent then than it is today with the final played over two legs against the mighty Rochdale.

He was sacked after just six months so to call him our best ever manager is crazy.

I hardly recall him although I do have happy memories of Macauley, Saunders Bond etc.

Willie Reid? Pfft.

While "best manager" is subjective it would be churlish to dismiss the opinion that as the only manager to deliver national silverware for the club he's go down as one of our most successful managers?

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

While "best manager" is subjective it would be churlish to dismiss the opinion that as the only manager to deliver national silverware for the club he's go down as one of our most successful managers?

Ken Brown?

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Was the other one, yes. My NCFC history is awful. Thank God for Wikipedia.

Well, I struggle with stuff that's pre-war which would prob be the same for me🙃

1985 Ken Brown was a proper national trophy win. The winners qualified for Europe. (Or should have done).

1962 tends to get forgotten or passed over in comparison. A win is a win though👍

43 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

...he's go down as one of our most successful managers?

I beg to differ CW...

City record.....

P31 W13 D6 L12.

Plus, he was sacked when the board heard Tilly was about to book St. Andrews hall. 🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

I beg to differ CW...

City record.....

P31 W13 D6 L12.

Plus, he was sacked when the board heard Tilly was about to book St. Andrews hall. 🤣

Delivered the cup though!

20 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

I beg to differ CW...

City record.....

P31 W13 D6 L12.

Now I'm not sure if he even signed a player.

But he did mastermind dumping the binners out of the FA Cup on the way to winning their star.....

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Delivered the cup though!

Can't disagree with that but the competition was largly scorned at that time.

The final at Carrow Rd was watched by just 19,708 compared with a record 43,984 for an FA Cup sixth round match against Leicester just one year later.

I think that says it all.

54 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Can't disagree with that but the competition was largly scorned at that time.

The final at Carrow Rd was watched by just 19,708 compared with a record 43,984 for an FA Cup sixth round match against Leicester just one year later.

I think that says it all.

Silverware is silverware. We've won precious little of it over the years so should treasure that which we have won. I'm 32 years old and have never seen us lift a cup (besides the league title wins). Would like to see it happen once before I die of old age!

9 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Silverware is silverware. We've won precious little of it over the years so should treasure that which we have won. I'm 32 years old and have never seen us lift a cup (besides the league title wins). Would like to see it happen once before I die of old age!

Stop being all optimistic.

You might not die of old age!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well, I struggle with stuff that's pre-war which would prob be the same for me🙃

1985 Ken Brown was a proper national trophy win. The winners qualified for Europe. (Or should have done).

1962 tends to get forgotten or passed over in comparison. A win is a win though👍

And no sign of your idols Delia & hubby to be seen anywhere. 😂

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Success is silver ware, no silver ware no success 

Is that why you hold the binners with such high esteem?

22 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

And no sign of your idols Delia & hubby to be seen anywhere. 😂

Eh??? As far as I'm aware neither Delia or her hubby have ever managed Norwich City. 

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Eh??? As far as I'm aware neither Delia or her hubby have ever managed Norwich City. 

It was in reference to them not being around the boardroom in 1962 and 1985 as Nutty likes to give Delia & MWJ credit for the ups ( but not the downs 😜 ) since 1996 so sorry if it confused you Thirsty.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It was in reference to them not being around the boardroom in 1962 and 1985 as Nutty likes to give Delia & MWJ credit for the ups ( but not the downs 😜 ) since 1996 so sorry if it confused you Thirsty.

I wondered what it was reference to. I didn't dare ask in case that involved playing the poster as the post made no sense🙃

Actually...

Even with your explanation it still makes no sense...

🥴

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Christ. Don’t go putting ideas in their heads!

13 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Christ. Don’t go putting ideas in their heads!

Keep it quiet BGT, but I hear that they're actually planning to skip a generation and install Nephew Tom as manager if/when Farke is given his marching orders. 😉 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I hear that they're actually planning to skip a generation and install Nephew Tom as manager

a clear case of 'nephtomism' if I ever did hear it

• Haha 1

On 04/09/2020 at 11:09, Thirsty Lizard said:

Keep it quiet BGT, but I hear that they're actually planning to skip a generation and install Nephew Tom as manager if/when Farke is given his marching orders. 😉 

We all know it’s Russell Martin next up. 

On 02/09/2020 at 14:48, lappinitup said:

I beg to differ CW...

City record.....

P31 W13 D6 L12.

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but isn't that 45 points with 7 games to spare in today's Premier League, I'd have taken that last season! 

Of course, we were probably in some strange southern division or something at the time, I can't be bothered to check. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but isn't that 45 points with 7 games to spare in today's Premier League, I'd have taken that last season! 

Of course, we were probably in some strange southern division or something at the time, I can't be bothered to check. 

Good point and agreed!

I imagine I’m far from alone in saying this summons up an image of a crazed self-help cult leader, played by Tom Cruise, screaming “Respect Willie”