Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Grealish called up to England squad..

45 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Or wore gloves, or had a silly haircut? ........Oops! 

He does and has.

Fans beg Jack Grealish to 'delete' new hairstyle as he shows off braids  ahead of Aston Villa vs Sheff Utd

Aston Villa's Jack Grealish warming up prior to kick-off ahead of the  Premier League match at Villa Park, Birmingham Stock Photo - Alamy

Edited by TIL 1010

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Several years ago I played in a charity golf day with Gary Lineker. He also qualified as a total **** but maybe he was just having a bad day. When you're early 20s with several million pounds in the bank it must be quite hard to not act like a ****.

Exactly. This was a peer review overhead by someone outside of the group. If footballers think he is a ****, then he must really be a ****. Southgate knows it too no doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

He does and has.

Fans beg Jack Grealish to 'delete' new hairstyle as he shows off braids  ahead of Aston Villa vs Sheff Utd

Aston Villa's Jack Grealish warming up prior to kick-off ahead of the  Premier League match at Villa Park, Birmingham Stock Photo - Alamy

Believe it or not thats exactly why I made the point. The hair and gloves mean little to me though I suspect they may offend some. Some who were very critical of our own chilly handed braid wearing starlet. No names, no packdrill.😀😇👍

31 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Excellent player. Hope he does well for England.

Indeed the player every other teams fans loath, but would love him at their own club.....Great talent.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed the player every other teams fans loath, but would love him at their own club.....Great talent.

Not a fan of having drink drivers at our club, so no I wouldn't want him

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

To be honest he kept Aston Villa in the top flight, without him they were worse than us! So he’s definitely good enough!

After his off the field antics years ago when he was lying in the street, I thought he had turned the corner he was captain of his club and thought he handled himself admirably when that Birmingham fan ran on the pitch and hit him.

He just never does enough for me not enough assists, not enough goals holds onto the ball too long. He is good a getting fowled.

More off the field antics over lockdown.

I know he is picked for England but doesn't seem like a Southgate player, Southgate likes players ge can trust even when Pickford was terrible for Everton, southgates response is that he has always been good for me.

I don't think he will show the same faith in Grealish, he will play out of position get little time he won't do anything and then southgate will.drop him and the argument ends it will be well we tried and it just didn't work.

6 hours ago, tricky974 said:

After his off the field antics years ago when he was lying in the street, I thought he had turned the corner he was captain of his club and thought he handled himself admirably when that Birmingham fan ran on the pitch and hit him.

He just never does enough for me not enough assists, not enough goals holds onto the ball too long. He is good a getting fowled.

More off the field antics over lockdown.

I know he is picked for England but doesn't seem like a Southgate player, Southgate likes players ge can trust even when Pickford was terrible for Everton, southgates response is that he has always been good for me.

I don't think he will show the same faith in Grealish, he will play out of position get little time he won't do anything and then southgate will.drop him and the argument ends it will be well we tried and it just didn't work.

He's a bit chicken and ducks a challenge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tricky974 said:

He just never does enough for me not enough assists, not enough goals holds onto the ball too long. 

Eight goals and six assists last season. I'm not sure how much more you can realistically expect from a player in a team that only survived relegation on the finally day.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Eight goals and six assists last season. I'm not sure how much more you can realistically expect from a player in a team that only survived relegation on the finally day.

I agree, but the problem is even in the Championship he's not bettered those figures. In one season for a midtable team Maddison got something along the lines of 15 goals and 8 assists for us. I don't personally think Grealish is on the same level.

Might be something to do with Grealish playing deeper - but past carrying the ball really well and winning free-kicks I don't see a really clinical, dangerous player.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I agree, but the problem is even in the Championship he's not bettered those figures. In one season for a midtable team Maddison got something along the lines of 15 goals and 8 assists for us. I don't personally think Grealish is on the same level.

Might be something to do with Grealish playing deeper - but past carrying the ball really well and winning free-kicks I don't see a really clinical, dangerous player.

But they are different players in a different position.

I'd fully agree that Maddison is the superior of the two of them, but there are additional factors that make Grealish more than simply a goal and assist return proposition.

Like any technically good player who poses a threat, the opposing team can't simply let him do what he wants as he's very able to punish that, this often leads to teams doubling up on him or conceding free kicks trying to deal with him, which garners opportunities for Villa to exploit as a team, even if he's not directly assisted or scored as a result.

If you have a strong free kick taker and Grealish can get them 4-5 good dead ball chances a game, then his 'falling over' indirectly creates opprtunities. If they double up on him, this increases space elsewhere and creates passing opportunities and gaps to exploit.

Villa's attacking options last season were frankly dreadful, and had Grealish been playing alongside better and more clinical finishers, I'd expect his assist numbers to increase, and if the rest of the team was closer to his level, I think he'd have got a few more goals as well because opposing sides would have more to focus on than just dealing with him.

All that said, I don't like his off-field activities, and there's still too much of a younger player who thinks he can do what he wants and get away with it, rather than knuckling down and focusing on his game and personal development.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Maddison is ahead of Grealish right now, I agree, but that doesn't mean Grealish isn't an excellent player. His record is still very good in its own right and better than the vast majority of players his age in his position. 

Not really the same type of player. But I think Grealish has more in his locker.