Am I the only one who wonders where the new CB (s) might be? 

yes we have been prolific in the market - great. But how many midfielders does a side need when the obvious issues are in defence? 

Zimmerman is ace. Hanley blows hot and cold and is often injured. Klose is not the player he was and I still am not convinced that Godfrey is a CB at all. 

For me this summer was ALL about sorting out a central defence that has been porous for two seasons now...where are they? 

2 years it has been since Farke in charge.  Milwall 4-0 I was there and it was awful

2 minutes ago, pete said:

2 years it has been since Farke in charge.  Milwall 4-0 I was there and it was awful

And to think, we havent played a game since....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 weeks of transfer window but only days before the season begins. 

and why is it face palm time frank? We have an exciting squad with one obvious flaw. It hasn’t been sorted.

As evidence I put forward the goals against column for the last two seasons.

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

5 weeks of transfer window but only days before the season begins. 

and why is it face palm time frank? We have an exciting squad with one obvious flaw. It hasn’t been sorted.

As evidence I put forward the goals against column for the last two seasons.

I agree we need a new CB, for cover more than anything else, Zimmo, Hanley and Klose are all too vulnerable to injury to go in with only 4. What I dont accept is that there is a qualitative problem at championship level.  Even in 2018/2019, both Villa and WBA had worse defensive records and they scored a hell of a lot less whilst reaching the playoffs. Also we dont know how our other 3 defenders have progressed since that season, how are new DMs might better protect them and if Farke will set up the same way. Right now id take a consistently fit championship level player, if we get promoted that might change but we dont need a marquee signing at CB and it can come in late September if it means we get a good deal.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

Maybe there’s a possibility that our defence may stand up better with with a different variation of players/tactics in front of it and that maybe a new CB isn’t as essential as we think. Just a thought.

• Like 1

And as others have frequently pointed out, a large part of our defensive problems were caused by a midfield that rarely reduced pressure on their backline players, combined with full backs who frequently bombed forwards and left us weakened against counter-attacks.

We've brought in at least 2 defensive midfielders to help deal with this (Sorenson and Skipp), Godfrey will continue to improve, and if he's accompanied by a fully fit Zimmermann for most of the season, I'm confident we'll be good enough for most sides, especially if our attack is as potent as it was last time round at this level, not to mention we've added real pace with Placheta and Dowell already looks like he could be an excellent signing as well.

Yes, if we can get a CB who's a genuine upgrade on Zimm for the right money, I think Webber will be all over it, but those players don't grow on trees, and it appears that we initially wanted Gibson and as that looks unlikely we're moving on which again takes time.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who wonders where the new CB (s) might be? 

Nope, someone asks the same question nearly every day, and its usually  Cambridge.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

will be announcing Simon Charlton shortly.

Str

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

will be announcing Simon Charlton shortly.

Steve Walsh is still keeping fit and could have a point to prove 2nd time round. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Str

Steve Walsh is still keeping fit and could have a point to prove 2nd time round. 

Anyone but Charlie Billington.👍

See if Jens Berthel Askou can plant someone onto the roof of the stand along with that ball...

Carrow Road 1980 and City are one step nearer to breaking their transfer record...

"Breaker Breaker Good Buddy, this is Slavic Disappointment, do you copy?"

North East CB Radio buffs Paul Bradwell, alias The Badger, and Joseph Hunt, alias Bluebird II. August 2, 1983

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

Yes, an extra CB would be desireable but if there isn't one available who is at least as good as Zimm/Godfrey or Hanley, then there isn't a lot of point.  Anyhow, Quintilla can also play centre back as he said in his interview on arrival, as of course can Tettey.

I, for one, love the "Godfrey isn't a CB brigade". It's so perfectly 2020.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Anyhow, Quintilla can also play centre back as he said in his interview on arrival, as of course can Tettey.

Supposedly Amadou could play CB as well, but he didn't exactly do a great job, and it's a similar situation with Tettey who does OK but simply isn't a CB.

Quintilla has played the grand total of 9 games in a CB position in the last 134 games, so to expect him to play just as well as a dedicated CB is wishful thinking.

What's next? Pukki supposedly having played a few games at CB in the Finnish U-18 leagues? Maybe Buendia fancies his hand in the role? I hear Rupp is the new Paul Warhurst so sure he could come in for a few games as well...

• Haha 1

I find it hard to believe that there are still fans who claim to have watched us for the past 2 years yet at the same time claim all we need is to sign a CB "cos then we wud defend bettur buh"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Supposedly Amadou could play CB as well, but he didn't exactly do a great job, and it's a similar situation with Tettey who does OK but simply isn't a CB.

Quintilla has played the grand total of 9 games in a CB position in the last 134 games, so to expect him to play just as well as a dedicated CB is wishful thinking.

What's next? Pukki supposedly having played a few games at CB in the Finnish U-18 leagues? Maybe Buendia fancies his hand in the role? I hear Rupp is the new Paul Warhurst so sure he could come in for a few games as well...

It's highly, highly unlikely that we'll have the same degree of unavailability with our centre backs as we did last season. I can never remember a situation like it. We have four centre backs who are more than good enough for this league in Zimbo, Godfrey, Hanley and Klose, a decent youngster in Famewo, then Quintilla and Tettey as sixth and seventh(!) choices. If we do sign another CB to improve the overall quality of the starting XI then brilliant, but I won't be spitting feathers if we don't.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:
13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Anyhow, Quintilla can also play centre back as he said in his interview on arrival, as of course can Tettey.

Don't be so dismissive of players.  Quintilla is able to play CB and he is a defender after all. It's about getting better people in than you've got and if you can't, then as I say, what is the point when you already have Zimbo, Godfrey, Hanley and Klose.  Now one of them might leave, but then again they might not so no point is spvnking a lot of money just to get a CB who may not be any better than we have already.  If the right player is available, then yes, get them, but there is no rush on this as the OP seems to think. 

• Like 1

Wasn't it our poor midfield which left our defence exposed last season. Centre back is desirable but not a necessatiy. Still got to see if the youth lad can step up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete said:

Since we’re doing memes already on this thread:

05B079DD-5632-490A-843E-CFCB4C3F5129.jpeg