Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Last seasons problems

I know the transfer window is still open but barring any outgoings are we going to be seeing any more incomings? My point is at the moment it’s looking like the exact same defence will start this season. Also it’s looking like mcclean and skipp will start in cm. Hopefully skipp will provide more protection but I still worry about our ability to defend set pieces. 
Hopefully another cb comes in especially with our proneness to injury. 

Farke has already said he is "happy with the bussness that has been done" so I would take that as a hint we are indeed done with transfers.

Which is a massive shame, anybody who has seen us play would know we need a new, proven experenced centreback (that or sack and replace all our defensive coaches) but it would seem this is a probably only us fans can see and the club, Farke and the board just can't see it for some reason.

'Happy with the business thats been done ' in no way indicates  that we are done with transfers.  It means exactly what it says. I think you are a little premature on this. Weeks of transfer window left yet. Or did you just have a fleeting thought and felt an irresistible urge to share?

Someone suggested recently that our interest in Gibson is still sincere but, because it would be a considerable outlay, it depends on outgoings. If we have Klose, Hanley, Zim and retain Godfrey there really isnt space for a £6-7 million CB.

Similarly, although we were clearly not good enough last year, it wasn't really the defenders who were the defensive issue. Lack of consistency (vital in a CB partnership) due to injury, top level experience and being physically & tactically paper-thin were the main culprits.

We've brought in taller, more athletic players, 3 CDMs and added some real pace to the side with a goalscoring targetman to boot.

If this is the squad going into the season, I'm happy. Ideally? Godfrey out for big money, Gibson in. BG is inconsistent at this stage of his career and his sale would probably pay for Gibson and the rest of our summer business with change left over. 

• Like 1

There is no way he sees Tettey as a starting CB option week in week out. We will get a CB. 

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Where’s the Centre Back we so desperately need?

See above posts from people that realise theres weeks to go before squads are finalised. Unless you are taking the pi$$, in which case , apologies.

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Farke has already said he is "happy with the bussness that has been done" so I would take that as a hint we are indeed done with transfers.

Which is a massive shame, anybody who has seen us play would know we need a new, proven experenced centreback (that or sack and replace all our defensive coaches) but it would seem this is a probably only us fans can see and the club, Farke and the board just can't see it for some reason.

I think it’s far more likely that the paid non-playing professionals at Carrow Rd can see our shortcomings a lot better than us amateurs  hammering away at keyboards on here.

Saying they’re happy with the business that has been done isn’t the same as saying our business is now done.

I think we’ll see defensive reinforcement arrive before too long.

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

There is no way he sees Tettey as a starting CB option week in week out. We will get a CB. 

I love Tetty to bits, he's a great guy and has been a wonderful player for us.. But anytime I see he's playing at centreback I can't help but wonder "how many are we going to concede today then?"

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I would be very surprised if we don not bring in another CB.

Despite the fact we have 4 named in the squad, 3 of them suffered long enough injuries to cause us issues last season and it was left to the youngest CB to be ever present. We have an obvious weakness in this area, conceded a ton of goals, and the 3-2 friendly win showed how vulnerable we can be, I felt.

I would not be happy without an improvement in this area by the end of the transfer window.

32 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Someone suggested recently that our interest in Gibson is still sincere but, because it would be a considerable outlay, it depends on outgoings. If we have Klose, Hanley, Zim and retain Godfrey there really isnt space for a £6-7 million CB.

Similarly, although we were clearly not good enough last year, it wasn't really the defenders who were the defensive issue. Lack of consistency (vital in a CB partnership) due to injury, top level experience and being physically & tactically paper-thin were the main culprits.

We've brought in taller, more athletic players, 3 CDMs and added some real pace to the side with a goalscoring targetman to boot.

If this is the squad going into the season, I'm happy. Ideally? Godfrey out for big money, Gibson in. BG is inconsistent at this stage of his career and his sale would probably pay for Gibson and the rest of our summer business with change left over. 

Even though we’ve brought in lungi will he start? The point I was getting at was will our starting 11 be any better at dealing with set pieces than previous seasons? I don’t see much difference in the physical makeup of our “new” team. 

If no one leaves we arent desperate for a new CB.

People as per reading too much into one friendly and a couple late goals. 

Our defence has more experience than last time we were in this division and we won it

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Our defence has more experience than last time we were in this division and we won it

I think they are hoping the present lot will be good enough for this league. They plainly weren't good enough for the Prem but then the CB problem has been an unaddressed issue in every promotion this century.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sorry hoggie but I think people are reading a lot into the defensive record over the past 2 seasons which has been woeful, plus the recent injury record of those defenders.

I'm not 100% personally convinced that the current CB situation we have is adequate for the whole season ahead. More games to undertake, a lot of very competitive games if we are the right end of the table and the conundrum that is the CDM position.

It is clear we have an issue with injuries to a couple and it has been suggested many times that Ben Godfrey is being courted by other clubs. Important season for us therefore I strongly feel we will see another CB before the window closes.

Just now, vlad666 said:

Even though we’ve brought in lungi will he start? The point I was getting at was will our starting 11 be any better at dealing with set pieces than previous seasons? I don’t see much difference in the physical makeup of our “new” team. 

No real way to know. In the words of my usual pre-season press conference on FM, 'I think the first couple of games will shape that'.

We simply aren't going to be defending as much this season, the idea of Emi and Pukki flanked by the pace of Placheta and Hernandez sounds terrifying- we've never been a team that goes out not to concede, we go out to score, and this squad in this league can do that. We conceded a massive amount of set-pieces in the Prem and were particularly bad at defending them; we won't give so much away this year as we're simply better than most.

FWIW I can't believe anyone looks at the overload we have in certain positions and doesn't think we're going to see some big-name departures presently; with Gibson reportedly playing hardball I believe we're doing exactly what we said and not putting any pressure on the sale. When the dominoes start tipping- an I believe Godfrey will be one of those- the CB signing will materialise.

This again?

In every Q&A with the PinkUn boys or Michael Bailey someone asks ‘what about a centre back’ and every time it is the same answer ‘Norwich want to add another’. 

The fact the club targeted Ben Gibson shows they are not only looking in this position but want someone with Championship experience. Which is probably why it is taking longer than other positions. Whoever comes in will need to displace Zimmermann, Godfrey and Hanley - that isn’t an easy thing to do.

Norwich don’t have immediate need for a centreback. Zimmermann and Godfrey are a more than capable starting pair and Klose is a decent backup. With about 6 weeks of the window left a good opportunity for a player will likely arise, but if Norwich panic buy a substandard player now it will be more damaging than holding their nerve a bit and waiting. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Sorry hoggie but I think people are reading a lot into the defensive record over the past 2 seasons which has been woeful, plus the recent injury record of those defenders.

I wouldnt say it was 'woeful' the season we were in the championship. I mean, we conceded less than Villa who also came up as well as another playoff team. 

It's a defence that won the Championship last time we were in it, so I'm not too concerned. I would like to see another CB come in, but they would have to be as guaranteed an upgrade as it's possible to get on what we have already. There aren't many of them who are affordable. I think Ben Gibson certainly fits the description of an upgrade, given his Championship experience, England U21 caps and the fact that he was called up to an England squad a few seasons ago, but may fall foul of the affordable benchmark.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I wouldnt say it was 'woeful' the season we were in the championship. I mean, we conceded less than Villa who also came up as well as another playoff team. 

Hoggie we conceded more goals than any other team to win the Champs, ever. That’s woeful.

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Hoggie we conceded more goals than any other team to win the Champs, ever. That’s woeful.

No its not woeful. Although even if that were the case, 2 of the 3 promoted teams that year had 'woeful' records so even then I'm not too concerned...

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But we won it because we could play such brilliant football. Would love to see less goals scored against, but in the final analysis it's the results that count.

43 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This again?

In every Q&A with the PinkUn boys or Michael Bailey someone asks ‘what about a centre back’ and every time it is the same answer ‘Norwich want to add another’. 

The fact the club targeted Ben Gibson shows they are not only looking in this position but want someone with Championship experience. Which is probably why it is taking longer than other positions. Whoever comes in will need to displace Zimmermann, Godfrey and Hanley - that isn’t an easy thing to do.

Norwich don’t have immediate need for a centreback. Zimmermann and Godfrey are a more than capable starting pair and Klose is a decent backup. With about 6 weeks of the window left a good opportunity for a player will likely arise, but if Norwich panic buy a substandard player now it will be more damaging than holding their nerve a bit and waiting. 

I’m sorry, I thought this was a discussion board. You may know all the answers but I don’t and was gaging whether people thought we’d solved previous problems. 

48 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Yet 3 of those 4 are Aaron’s, Lewis and Godfrey ? I’m confused are they rubbish or worth upto £40m ( think that was the figure some put n Godfrey ).

I always think it’s so 1 dimensional when people think

we are crap at defending —> get a better center back

of course it helps, they are the base of that defensive unit but so many of our problems were rooted in the fact we defended poorly as a team. We need and have needed a better defensive attitude in general throughout the team, not some big bloke with a big forehead to solve all our problems.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

I always think it’s so 1 dimensional when people think

we are crap at defending —> get a better center back

of course it helps, they are the base of that defensive unit but so many of our problems were rooted in the fact we defended poorly as a team. We need and have needed a better defensive attitude in general throughout the team, not some big bloke with a big forehead to solve all our problems.

Just like teams that play 4-4-2 will score more goals