Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pfft, everybody knows "Leeds are a massive club huge household name blah blah blah blah champions of Europe blah blah" so don't try bothering to explan reality and how it works to them

Whats your problem???

Leeds have a budget of 70-80 million to spend on players as they have stated, spending this doesn't put the club at any financial risk whatsoever, it fits within the BUDGET.

Don't spend any money and its "Leeds are going straight back down, havnt invested in their squad" etc.

Leeds spend a bit of money and its "Leeds are going to gamble the future of the club, have they learnt nothing".

Its laughable really, how about the truth is somewhere in the middle?

11 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Maybe the spending will work and they stay up this season but what about next season the one after, keep spending until in debt ,crazy.

Budgets.

What part of this don't you understand?

4 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Whats your problem???

Leeds have a budget of 70-80 million to spend on players as they have stated, spending this doesn't put the club at any financial risk whatsoever, it fits within the BUDGET.

Don't spend any money and its "Leeds are going straight back down, havnt invested in their squad" etc.

Leeds spend a bit of money and its "Leeds are going to gamble the future of the club, have they learnt nothing".

Its laughable really, how about the truth is somewhere in the middle?

Mostly down to Leeds fans like you being so obssesed and coming onto other fans forums to talk about how much of a big wonderful club you are when you are when it took you what, almost two decades to get back to the top division?

I guess irony is lost on you though.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

30 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I love tettey but Phillips is much better. 

When we talk about teams going up from Championship to the prem, we look at a midfielder that can protect the back 4 and take pressure off them.

If we had one player that can screen in front of the defence, winning the ball and anticipating where the ball was going to go - it is Tettey. Tettey hasn't the overall ball skills of other holding mids, but defensively he is the best midfield player we have had for the last 30 years. I'm not saying it's impossible for Phillips to play that role for Leeds. But Tettey has played it for us and has a proven track record - that 10 match unbeaten run during Hughton's first season with us. He and Bradley basically kept them at bay ! 

That is the type of player Leeds need if to keep an even keel with prem opposition.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mostly down to Leeds fans like you being so obssesed and coming onto other fans forums to talk about how much of a big wonderful club you are when you are when it took you what, almost two decades to get back to the top division?

I guess irony is lost on you though.

The forum that has a thread dedicated to Leeds (and its not the only one it seems) and Im obsessed? lol.

Just nice to give some blinkered fools a reality check.

Almost two decades to get back, with the ownerships and crooks who have run our club over that time its no surprise whatsoever, but then I wouldn't expect you to understand what's been going on.

I think the irony is actually lost on you.

2 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

When we talk about teams going up from Championship to the prem, we look at a midfielder that can protect the back 4 and take pressure off them.

If we had one player that can screen in front of the defence, winning the ball and anticipating where the ball was going to go - it is Tettey. Tettey hasn't the overall ball skills of other holding mids, but defensively he is the best midfield player we have had for the last 30 years. I'm not saying it's impossible for Phillips to play that role for Leeds. But Tettey has played it for us and has a proven track record - that 10 match unbeaten run during Hughton's first season with us. He and Bradley basically kept them at bay ! 

That is the type of player Leeds need if to keep an even keel with prem opposition.

Yep, they need a Bradders and a Jonny Howson.........😀😇👍

2 hours ago, Lowfields1919 said:

You didn't invest in your squad and improve it.

I know its not easy, infact quite the opposite.

But we are in very safe hands these days, on and off the pitch, and I am very confident we will be fine.

We made an outstanding signing yesterday - Robin Koch for £13 million, an absolute steal, 24 year old German centre back, 3 years Bundesliga experience and full international for one of the best international teams on the planet.

A player Bielsa requested.

Lets see how we do.

All football forums are full of BS, Lowfields. You know that. So if you come dog-whistling on here don't be surprised to find a few strays. 

Yup, gambling on big investment is fine provided the club can afford to take the hit if the players don't perform and the season ends in relegation. Leeds should know this better than anyone, following their experiences of 15 / 18 years ago. Norwich couldn't afford to take that hit, so the failure to invest was right for our club.

When EPL battle commenced last season I don't think we were the slightest bit surprised by the quality of the very top sides. They were a known quantity. What really caught us out was that the lesser sides, Burnley, West Ham, Southampton, Palace, even Watford, knew how to find a way to win. Admittedly, we made it easier than we should have done, as we were ravaged by key defensive injuries in the Autumn.

Leeds may or may not be good enough to steer clear of the bottom three. No one can say at this stage. But don't underestimate how hard it will be. There are no free gifts, and any weaknesses will be exposed. Quite possibly Bielsa is good enough to keep you up. Our own manager appeared to keep his head, but his team was dismal after the restart, which raises questions. Whatever anyone says on here, one of the most fascinating unanswered questions next season will be how Leeds adapt. Good luck - enjoy your football. Keep it all in perspective 🙂

14 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I think that the antipathy towards Leeds  comes from meeting their fans.

Reading WACCOE doesn’t paint them in a great light either. Sure, it’s a generalisation but should we qualify every statement about Leeds fans with “every club has a number of arrogant pr*cks as fans and there are probably a few Leeds fans who aren’t deluded”? 

As far as I’m concerned, if a Leeds supporter wants to come on a Norwich messageboard and have a sensible discussion about our relative experiences as Premiership newbies, that’s all good. But what we seem to get are fair weather posters only. @Lowfields1919, if you’d guarantee that you’ll be back at the end of the season *no matter what* then that would be some sort of indication that you’re not just here to crow about the fact that Leeds are - for the first time in many years - above Norwich’s league position.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Koch is indeed a good signing, but at the same time they have made some mistakes as you point out.

Rodrigo is of course a decent signing, not the best striker but good enough for a top 10 Prem team- But at the price they got him at they have been robbed, absoloute rip off Valencia laughing all the way to the bank.

Rodrigo is an awful signing. 4 goals and 1 assist in a decent team last year. Been declining for the last 3+ years. Nearly 30. They've spunked a load of cash on a player that won't help them - he wouldn't get into any top 10 prem sides.

To be fair we have two resident Leeds fans; Lowfields who is a hair-trigger toerag who only materialises from the ether whenever Leeds come under question, and Drayton who is quite a level-headed contributor to a couple different topics.

Science would therefore say that Leeds fans are only 50% toerag.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them do well next season, especially initially. It will certainly be far more difficult than many of their support realise and we have bags of experience in that area, sadly.

I feel what may hurt them most, is the lack of fans allowed into the stadium. Teams that are promoted need a vocal backing and again we are the example of how effective a passionate support can be on the team.

I for one will be interested to see how the likes of them and a few others get on. I can understand when supporters of other teams come on hear and defend their team ( I know Norwich have infiltrated most other forums to some degree). However, if those watching from other teams let the topics run a bit they would probably see a fairer set on comments. By biting back they just invite the torment further.

As for some of their fans generally? Who cares!

1 hour ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Thats a pretty generalising sweep.

Generalisation? Here's one....90% are great, 10% are angry b*astards who like trouble. Hope you're in the former.

3 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I don’t understand this bitterness and wasted energy against other teams (excluding our nearest and dearest of course). I don’t particularly like Leeds or Villa or anyone else but if they do well then good for them, we have enough to concern ourselves with this season. 

Agree, particularly in the case of Leeds whose fans have suffered for long enough imo. They have taken on some debt, which will constrain them next year (£35 million at the end of 2019), unless they take a massive gamble - I'll be interested to see how they finish the 19-20 financial year.

It will be very interesting from a football point of view to see how Belsa shapes up next year - whether he compromise on the style or finds a way to make it work in the Premier League. 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree, particularly in the case of Leeds whose fans have suffered for long enough imo. They have taken on some debt, which will constrain them next year (£35 million at the end of 2019), unless they take a massive gamble - I'll be interested to see how they finish the 19-20 financial year.

It will be very interesting from a football point of view to see how Belsa shapes up next year - whether he compromise on the style or finds a way to make it work in the Premier League. 

Agree with this 100%. Really interesting to watch Bielsa and I am sure we will still see a hard pressing style with lots of movement from his team. Interesting to see how some of the current team shape up too. Perhaps they can be like Sheff Utd?

I feel that we should keep our powder dry where the promoted clubs are concerned. Let us wish them luck and just give them the benefit of our experience (West Brom and Fulham hardly need it as they've barely been away, although it does seem to get tougher every year), and see where they end up at the end of the season.

It may be that Rodrigo is an inspired signing - he may be the ideal match for how Bielsa wants to play and works out like Teemu did and just needed a team to be built around him, or maybe he'll be another Wesley or Joelinton. Time will tell.

The other two promoted teams have not been very busy so far. They've basically bought their best loan player (Pireira and Knockaert). Fulham are saying that they aren't going to buy many players, but West Brom have quite an ageing squad and Bilic had a big thread on here with his talk about how they weren't going to follow our example.

It's going to be an interesting season, but I'm not interested enough to bother watching MOTD this season.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Agree with this 100%. Really interesting to watch Bielsa and I am sure we will still see a hard pressing style with lots of movement from his team. Interesting to see how some of the current team shape up too. Perhaps they can be like Sheff Utd?

Will also be interesting to see if he truly is this great world class coach that he's held up to be. 

When he got caught cheating and spying on opponents training the wheels came off, last season they were the best side in the Championship but each year for me it's a division that's getting weaker so I'm keen to see how they get on; then I'll judge there success or not. 

6 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Why are you hanging around on a Norwich forum?

He's from Yorkshire - nothing else to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Rodrigo fits the Bielsa style perfectly, he isn't an out and out striker, he is an attacking forward who can play any role across the front line, Bielsa wants versatile players and he is perfect for this. (think Buendia but a level above, but chips in with goals)

You're having a laugh if you think Rodrigo is a level above Buendia, he's had ONE genuinely good season in the last decade, is clearly on the decline, has spent the majority of his career as a centre forward (whereas Buendia has played on the wings or as a number 10) yet regularly failed to even hit 10 goals a season as a striker (He's done it ONCE), and if you value stats sites like WhoScored, Buendia has better ratings than Rodrigo over the past 2 seasons, and he's still only 23 and yet to hit his prime years.

There's a reason why Buendia is being touted at a value of 30-50 million, and it's not because he's a level BELOW Rodrigo.

Valencia have absolutely tucked you up with this deal, especially when you consider we paid NOTHING for Pukki and approx 5 million for Buendia, and I'd rather have either of them than Rodrigo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You're having a laugh if you think Rodrigo is a level above Buendia, he's had ONE genuinely good season in the last decade, is clearly on the decline, has spent the majority of his career as a centre forward (whereas Buendia has played on the wings or as a number 10) yet regularly failed to even hit 10 goals a season as a striker (He's done it ONCE), and if you value stats sites like WhoScored, Buendia has better ratings than Rodrigo over the past 2 seasons, and he's still only 23 and yet to hit his prime years.

There's a reason why Buendia is being touted at a value of 30-50 million, and it's not because he's a level BELOW Rodrigo.

Valencia have absolutely tucked you up with this deal, especially when you consider we paid NOTHING for Pukki and approx 5 million for Buendia, and I'd rather have either of them than Rodrigo.

Agreed. Rodrigo is too different to compare to Buendia, and given his age, I think Leeds have overpaid here.

They're in talks to sign Rodrigo De Paul for around £30-35m though, and he's easier to compare to Buendia. Similar position, same nationality, similar age but more proven experience. That would be a real coup for Leeds if it comes off.

55 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agreed. Rodrigo is too different to compare to Buendia, and given his age, I think Leeds have overpaid here.

They're in talks to sign Rodrigo De Paul for around £30-35m though, and he's easier to compare to Buendia. Similar position, same nationality, similar age but more proven experience. That would be a real coup for Leeds if it comes off.

I have this image of Bielsa demanding Rodrigo be signed. The Leeds board turn up with Rodrigo in tow and Bielsa says, "No, no, not that one, de Paul!" 😂

I was utterly unimpressed by them signing Rodrigo from Valencia, but de Paul is a different kettle of fish entirely. A very, very good player.

Leeds are rather like Nottingham Forest. Under Revie and Clough respectively they were very successful clubs who came from no real history of success and returned to that level after those managers left.

24 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Leeds are rather like Nottingham Forest. Under Revie and Clough respectively they were very successful clubs who came from no real history of success and returned to that level after those managers left.

I think Howard Wilkinson's time at Leeds might be seen as a success.😉

41 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Not true. They have mainly been in the top tier of British football for the last 100 years. Their collapse, after their chasing the dream expenditure in the early years of this century, has seen tem spend their longest period ever outside the top division.

1920px-Leeds_United_AFC_League_Performance.svg.png

Leeds fans are a different breed.

Half their fans thought and probably still think they're going to sign Messi.

The other half think they should be challenging for top 4 this season.

Add that onto the Leeds article published by one of their local journos basically stating the EFL is nothing without Leeds and its hardly a wonder every other clubs fans think they're a bunch of knobs and can't wait for them to fail again.

10 hours ago, Lowfields1919 said:

The forum that has a thread dedicated to Leeds (and its not the only one it seems) and Im obsessed? lol.

Just nice to give some blinkered fools a reality check.

Almost two decades to get back, with the ownerships and crooks who have run our club over that time its no surprise whatsoever, but then I wouldn't expect you to understand what's been going on.

I think the irony is actually lost on you.

You're entitled to be optimistic Lowfields, after finally getting out of the second tier & good luck to you. However, you seem a bit overconfident. As Pugin alluded to above, I think you might be surprised how strong the mid-to-lower table clubs are. It's going to a tough slog. I'd say you'll certainly make a better fist of staying up than ourselves (shouldn't be too hard), but once you hit a bad patch and a few injuries start to bite, we'll see what this Leeds group are made of. I think you might just do it, but I also think you'll be hovering around the drop zone coming up to the last few games. 

On an unnecessarily bitter note, I'd love to see Villa & Leeds drop, as the utopian dreamland likelihood of seeing Man U & Chelsea plummeting is close to nil. 

The gap between the two divisions is immense. All three promoted teams will struggle. Even the so called lesser EPL teams are in a different class to any Championship team in terms of physicality and game management.