Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

No WHL for The Starman then!

Rumours of him going to Spurs dragged on and on for a year only to now be formally shelved it seems with Spurs signing Matt Doherty from Wolves. He is a classic Mourinho defender - late 20's, experienced and 'knows how to defend, anything else is a bonus' type geezer. Now Aarons along with the other four 'Great Ones' look increasingly likely with each passing day to remain at FCR. Whilst we all praise Webber for playing hardball with the Scousers and getting our signings in early, I bet this scenario is not what he had in mind! Our squad is now seriously bloated both in size and post relegation wage bill. That cannot continue indefinitely. 'Ah yes but Leitner, Trybul and Drmic are leaving' is the first response. The fact that they have been told they can leave is only half the story. New clubs have to be willing to take them on and for wages they will accept otherwise we may find them on our wage bill for longer than we thought. One    

Carrying on!!!

'One Karl Lafferty' springs to mind. 

Of course if the likes of Buendia, Cantwell etc, stay (and are committed) we all welcome that but what of the ten new signings? Some may end out on loan but it's going to be a hell of a task to prune the current squad down to size. Webbers work in the market may only just be beginning.   

So he's a classic "brexit fc" style defender? I mean, odd given he's Irish and not English.. Seriously though, he is clearly very talented. Remember seeing him during a few Wolves games in the past, not the quickest or the strongest- But he has a hell of a defensive awareness, always there at the right place and time and pretty no nonsense no hesitation kind of defender, just gets in there and does the work.

I can't help but feel that the lack of movement has surprised Webber. They set their stall out with minimal acceptance fees for these key players, but the fact that nobody has snapped them up at the price? Is it Covid related? Are teams being more cautious with signings? Have we over valued our players? Is Webber the type of person to drop the price in a couple of weeks time when we enter the new season with a bloated squad.

We've always been told we don't need to sell our players. Why some fans continue with the "we'll sell as soon as an offer comes in" rhetoric they spout is beyond me. I think we've heard enough from Webber to know that he means what he says. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one 'star player' leave before the deadline but any other business will most likely be done in Jan by the looks of it. At the moment it isn't a seller's market but it is a buyer's one and I think we've done ok. And if some of these stars do leave... So what? It's the nature of football and we will see others rise to that level. New heroes will be born.

But, of course, this doesn't suit some people's narrative of trying to find a brush to tar the club with on the regular. 

What a sad little life... Jane. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure our hardball approach to the transfer market is drawing in many fans either. 

It's been said we're notoriously difficult to do businesses with so its plausible that bigger clubs may be looking for softer targets. 

I'm not suggesting we should allow ourselves to be picked off, but potential buyers might be put off if we aren't playing the game just a little. 

One thing not often mentioned is that although our squad last time in the championship was much smaller, we also had a number of players who weren't a part of the first team at all. Husband, Marshall, Oliveira, Pinto, Naismith, Franke, Wildschut were all on the books then, and barely contributed to the team. Whereas now we find ourselves with more players, many of which are younger than those mentioned before. 

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

I'm not sure our hardball approach to the transfer market is drawing in many fans either. 

It's been said we're notoriously difficult to do businesses with so its plausible that bigger clubs may be looking for softer targets. 

I'm not suggesting we should allow ourselves to be picked off, but potential buyers might be put off if we aren't playing the game just a little. 

Based on that damned if they do, damned if they don’t!   Some on here say they are too soft!     Prefer to trust Webber and let him get on with it.   £20m starting prices or they stay!     

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Based on that damned if they do, damned if they don’t!   Some on here say they are too soft!     Prefer to trust Webber and let him get on with it.   £20m starting prices or they stay!     

Webber certainly is not too soft. 

The point I'm making is that it's clear the club is getting a reputation for the approach we make in transfer dealings. 

I was speculating that some clubs may be put off in even opening discussions about transfers.

I'm not criticising Webber directly. I would certainly much rather have him than not. 

2 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Assuming that what Webber is saying is true regarding the club not needing to sell any players, why should we "play the game just a little"?, why shouldn't these big, wealthy clubs "play the game just a little" and pay the asking price?. When you look at the eye watering amounts these teams spend on players and wages, £20m is pocket change to them.........

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Does the transfer window shut tomorrow?

No - still plenty of time but you must agree there seems to have been precious little activity (Lewis excepted) for our 'stars'. I still expect one to leave by October but it won't be for the fee we are holding out for. At the end of the day Webber needs to pay for these new players and he must have been expecting to do so by cashing in on at least one of ours.

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

We've always been told we don't need to sell our players. Why some fans continue with the "we'll sell as soon as an offer comes in" rhetoric they spout is beyond me. I think we've heard enough from Webber to know that he means what he says. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one 'star player' leave before the deadline but any other business will most likely be done in Jan by the looks of it. At the moment it isn't a seller's market but it is a buyer's one and I think we've done ok. And if some of these stars do leave... So what? It's the nature of football and we will see others rise to that level. New heroes will be born.

But, of course, this doesn't suit some people's narrative of trying to find a brush to tar the club with on the regular. 

What a sad little life... Jane. 

You what?? I wasn't having a go at the club at all but merely setting out the current bloated size of the squad in terms of number of bodies and wage bill. Without offloading some, this is unsustainable. End of story.

6 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Assuming that what Webber is saying is true regarding the club not needing to sell any players, why should we "play the game just a little"?, why shouldn't these big, wealthy clubs "play the game just a little" and pay the asking price?. When you look at the eye watering amounts these teams spend on players and wages, £20m is pocket change to them.........

Point taken, but the OP mentioned we have too many players and we really do now so something has to happen and I'm sure it will. 

Hopefully we can shift some fringe players and I'm sure Webber is more likely to listen to offers on those. 

I read there is a fair amount of interest in Leitner. 

i think doing our Business Early was a good thing 

we have signed a lot of players i think the club would like to off load a couple of youngsters 

Take lewis for Example at left back we have 2 new signings i imagine at least one would have been told He was in the 1st team plans before he signed 

Will Lewis be happy to sit on the bench ? i am sure Quintilla has not come here to Not play  

I can't recall a time in my years of following the club when we haven't always sold off the most talented players. That's the nature of the beast. Is it a bad thing to be difficult to do business with? Depends on your point of view perhaps? Could this Covid-19 market result in the "jewels" staying for a while yet? Maybe we overestimate their 'marketworthiness.' We did just succumb to a fairly pathetic relegation.

I still expect two, possibly even three to be gone by October or January, starting with Aarons & Lewis.

i think Cantwell will go he impressed in the EPL also Buendia 

Aarons and Lewis impressed going forward also

i am very surprised these four have not had more interest 

On 29/08/2020 at 21:30, keelansgrandad said:

But a 25 man squad apart from U21s means some players need to go out on loan or sold.

Definitely. I expect you'll see a few loaned out. Sitti looks like a prime candidate for that, and if Lewis and Aarons look like staying, McCullum and Bamba look likely for loans too when it comes to the newer signings, then there are the men who are told they can look for new teams, so that's Leitner, Trybull, and Drmic. 

On 29/08/2020 at 20:30, yellowrider120 said:

You what?? I wasn't having a go at the club at all but merely setting out the current bloated size of the squad in terms of number of bodies and wage bill. Without offloading some, this is unsustainable. End of story.

Not talking about you specifically

Long way to go - the bargains get snapped up first. Doherty for £15m is a steal. Just wait and see who is in the bottom 3 after the first 4 games and they will be desperate. I can see West Ham, Newcastle and Leeds getting the cheque book out, plus all the teams in Europe who will need bigger squads.

Whether anyone will pay £20m for Lewis, £25m for Buendia and £30m for Aarons/Godfrey/Cantwell is debatable - but it's likely that we will get offers.