Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

Vito mannone

How about this guy as back up for a year?

Knows the champ having played for reading, and I think would qualify as home grown due to arsenal youth academy? Out of contract as well.

Be a better option than McGovern. As a side, is there any one actually on this forum who thinks/ is comfortable with McGovern has number 2 for the next season?

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

How about this guy as back up for a year?

Knows the champ having played for reading, and I think would qualify as home grown due to arsenal youth academy? Out of contract as well.

Be a better option than McGovern. As a side, is there any one actually on this forum who thinks/ is comfortable with McGovern has number 2 for the next season?

Me. I don’t know why everyone is getting all angsty about it when the chances are we won’t need him. He does make me nervous but we’re not going to release him, which would mean bringing in another keeper and would result in having someone at home every week which is a waste for a championship club.

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Me. I don’t know why everyone is getting all angsty about it when the chances are we won’t need him. He does make me nervous but we’re not going to release him, which would mean bringing in another keeper and would result in having someone at home every week which is a waste for a championship club.

I do tend to agree, Krul will be first choice all the time unless injured. Mc Govern would not be my pick , but he is no disaster either. If Krul got a long term injury early in the season i am sure we would look to get a  replacement in as soon as we could however

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Me. I don’t know why everyone is getting all angsty about it when the chance are we won’t need him. He does make me nervous but we’re not going to release him which would mean bringing in another keeper would mean having someone at home every week which is a waste for a championship club.

Hmm, well I think there is a decent chance we will need a number two. Krul is susceptible to injury, and is now on Dutch squad so more chance of getting injured. 

I'll concede everyone is susceptible to injury and that in kruls first season no injury but last season he was out for a period. Prior to that he was out for a while was he not?

I would just worry seeing any match day 11 with McGovern. Simply he is not good enough for me, even if it was for four or five league games, I'd rather we someone in, just on a free or loan or on the cheap. 

Sorry Frank, but just don't rate him at all. 

I'd nearly rather have Theo in goal 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I do tend to agree, Krul will be first choice all the time unless injured. Mc Govern would not be my pick , but he is no disaster either. If Krul got a long term injury early in the season i am sure we would look to get a  replacement in as soon as we could however

I think he is a disaster. McGovern would never, ever be in any team looking to get promoted. I think he's passable as 3rd choice but a complete gamble to put yourself only one injury away from him playing a (potentially) significant part of our season. Maybe we won't need him. Maybe 4 central defenders would have been sufficient last season...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think he is a disaster. McGovern would never, ever be in any team looking to get promoted. I think he's passable as 3rd choice but a complete gamble to put yourself only one injury away from him playing a (potentially) significant part of our season. Maybe we won't need him. Maybe 4 central defenders would have been sufficient last season...

My thoughts exactly

It's far too risky to go into a full season with McGovern and a teenager who has never played a professional match as backup. Hopefully Krul stays fit all season, but it's a massive gamble for a club the size of ours. If Krul gets a mid/long term injury then we'd be in trouble.

I posted a list of free agent goalkeepers about a month ago and Mannone was one of the better options on the list. He's not exactly brilliant but he'd be a step up from McGovern and would likely accept being a number two.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's far too risky to go into a full season with McGovern and a teenager who has never played a professional match as backup. Hopefully Krul stays fit all season, but it's a massive gamble for a club the size of ours. If Krul gets a mid/long term injury then we'd be in trouble.

I posted a list of free agent goalkeepers about a month ago and Mannone was one of the better options on the list. He's not exactly brilliant but he'd be a step up from McGovern and would likely accept being a number two.

Mannone didn’t want to be No. 2 at Reading which is why he’s being going out on loan and refused a new contract. He wants to play games so wouldn’t join Norwich to be back up. (He was also fairly awful in his loan spell in Denmark apparently). 

Will be hard to find a player who is an obvious improvement on McGovern and willing to sit on the bench behind a clear No. 1 like Krul. 

Not saying there isn’t someone out there, but getting a back up keeper is always a hard task and the fact Norwich have been prepared to stick with McGovern for so long suggests that he may have more about him than many fans give him credit. He certainly didn’t stand out as being awful in the games he played last season. 

• Like 3

Burden has looked decent this half, has a big chance against Luton as well. Maybe he's the answer as back up and the Oxborough in the 2nd half of the season. I can't see anyone that great being interested in joining us to play as 2nd choice. Do we get emergency loans in the champs if Krul gets injured? Could look at the likes of Manonne then

Judging on that first half against Darmstadt Barden looked good in his distribution, confident and with one great save. Obviously Farke will already know lots about him. So, our 3rd keeper may already be here?

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

Do we get emergency loans in the champs if Krul gets injured? Could look at the likes of Manonne then

I can't see any club being prepared to loan out their number two, and I can't see any promotion rival being prepared to help us out of a muddle at all.

If we need an emergency loan, we'd probably be looking at the number three from an inferior club, so someone probably weaker than McGovern.

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Mannone didn’t want to be No. 2 at Reading which is why he’s being going out on loan and refused a new contract. He wants to play games so wouldn’t join Norwich to be back up. (He was also fairly awful in his loan spell in Denmark apparently). 

Will be hard to find a player who is an obvious improvement on McGovern and willing to sit on the bench behind a clear No. 1 like Krul. 

Not saying there isn’t someone out there, but getting a back up keeper is always a hard task and the fact Norwich have been prepared to stick with McGovern for so long suggests that he may have more about him than many fans give him credit. He certainly didn’t stand out as being awful in the games he played last season. 

Would he not want to join us though? One or two year contact, in england, playing cup games and back up to a Dutch international? For a club playing good football and looking to win the championship? For the amount of time he has spent in England, he must be accustomed to it, nae love it and has family and friends here (reading isn't too far) furthermore he has a chance of being a part of a title winning squad and laying roots in Norfolk. I'd imagine his pay packet would be as good as he would get elsewhere but minus the minutes garentee 

Having said all that, I'm not bothered that it has to be him, but I just think McGovern should not be in the running. 

Young harden has played well first half, but no way should be viewed as no.2 for the season we wish to have

48 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Would he not want to join us though? One or two year contact, in england, playing cup games and back up to a Dutch international? For a club playing good football and looking to win the championship? For the amount of time he has spent in England, he must be accustomed to it, nae love it and has family and friends here (reading isn't too far) furthermore he has a chance of being a part of a title winning squad and laying roots in Norfolk. I'd imagine his pay packet would be as good as he would get elsewhere but minus the minutes garentee 

Having said all that, I'm not bothered that it has to be him, but I just think McGovern should not be in the running. 

Young harden has played well first half, but no way should be viewed as no.2 for the season we wish to have

If Mannone was happy to live in England with his feet up he'd have stayed at Reading - but he pushed to go out on loan and rather played as first choice in Denmark, for a team fighting against relegation. 

Mannone has been a back up at one club or another for most of his career - I guess as he is now getting towards the end of his career he wants to go out and play.

• Like 1

You can see why Barden is so highly regarded.

I thought the Darmstadt keeper for the second game played well-- if slightly unconventional at times. 

I really don’t understand the issue with McGovern. When he joined he’d just come off the back of an impressive Euros performance and there had also been a year or more speculation about him moving to a bigger club, when we got him I thought it was quite a coup.

Since joining I’ve seen him do little wrong as our backup keeper. He’s also only 36, still a good age for a keeper.

I genuinely don’t think we’d get a much better option in the Championship to sit on the bench and I’m really unclear why people think he’s not up to that task.

• Like 2

There's a definite divide here between those who think McGovern is terrible, and those who believe he's probably the best we're going to get as backup. I'm firmly in the second camp.

Given that he gets little to no time to get match fit, any keeper would do well to come out of the blocks and be top notch. Maybe he's not as good at playing out from the back as Krul, although god knows we saw little enough of that done effectively post-restart, but his career so far has shown he's a decent shot stopper, which is far and away the most important quality in a keeper.

Plus it's been said several times he's an important character in the back room, which shouldn't be ignored.

And - do we want to waste the sort of  money we wasted on Fahrmann again?

• Like 1

Well looks like us as fans are slightly more on the side of McGovern being good enough as back up 

Thank you all for joining in to the debate, let's all just hope that Mr krul keeps off the treatment table 🙂

McGovern is as good a shot stopper as Krul, but his lack of reach is easily exploitable by better players. Just have to hit the bottom corners and he's effectively a spectator.

I'm sure the club keep an eye out for a suitable 2nd choice at all times, but aren't actively pursuing it as a priority.

On 29/08/2020 at 19:06, Nuff Said said:

There's a definite divide here between those who think McGovern is terrible, and those who believe he's probably the best we're going to get as backup. I'm firmly in the second camp.

Given that he gets little to no time to get match fit, any keeper would do well to come out of the blocks and be top notch. Maybe he's not as good at playing out from the back as Krul, although god knows we saw little enough of that done effectively post-restart, but his career so far has shown he's a decent shot stopper, which is far and away the most important quality in a keeper.

Plus it's been said several times he's an important character in the back room, which shouldn't be ignored.

And - do we want to waste the sort of  money we wasted on Fahrmann again?

As someone who played as a goalkeeper, albeit only at a local level in both England and Germany, for a very long time the bit in bold is huge. Much of goalkeeping is between the ears and also about dealing with the constant mental pressure inherent in the position. It's truly a position where you need a few games at that level just to have confidence in your movements and actions simply as hesitation is fatal. I do think a lot of keen fans underestimate this aspect of the game.

If an outfield player is hesitant, he can always chase back hard or a teammate could bail him out. If a goalie drops a ricket, 99 times out of 100 it results in a goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

As someone who played as a goalkeeper, albeit only at a local level in both England and Germany, for a very long time the bit in bold is huge. Much of goalkeeping is between the ears and also about dealing with the constant mental pressure inherent in the position. It's truly a position where you need a few games at that level just to have confidence in your movements and actions simply as hesitation is fatal. I do think a lot of keen fans underestimate this aspect of the game.

If an outfield player is hesitant, he can always chase back hard or a teammate could bail him out. If a goalie drops a ricket, 99 times out of 100 it results in a goal.

Tim Krul’s career with us so far would seem to back you up. The more he plays, the better he gets.

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Tim Krul’s career with us so far would seem to back you up. The more he plays, the better he gets.

Some can start well off the bat. Not saying it isn't possible at all (blast from the past time, but Thomas Myhre started like a train at Everton but couldn't keep it up), but I would generally say the first few games are about being conservative and playing yourself in.

Earlier poster says McGovern’s problem is lack of reach, he is supposed to be 6ft 3ins, should give him a decent reach, McCracken is the short one at 6ft 1in, Krupp 6ft 4ins, Braden and  Oxborough 6ft 5ins and Mair 6ft 6ins, looks like you have to be 6ft 4ins at least to stand a chance of being a good goalkeeper, but then how tall was Kevin Keelan, 6ft 1ins I dont remember him being a giant, they don’t get much better than him, it was a different era, but lack of height didn’t seem a problem.

I was going to indignantly respond about McGoverns height until a brief internet search indicates he is in fact 6ft 3.

I find that to be almost unbelievable- this is a picture from literally a few days ago. He doesn't look an inch over 6ft!

IMG_20200831_111024.jpg

I didn’t think he was either, I looked at two sites, one said 1.90 the other 1.91, somebody must be exaggerating somewhat