Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Sky sack Saturday pundits

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I paid £80.00 for 8 legs of venison....Do you think it was too dear?.....

How many eyes though ?

9 hours ago, WD40 said:

Old white men and chesty birds, Sky have nailed their demographic. 

Works for me the more chesty the better when it comes to sports news

Just someone with a bit of insight into the game? A bit of a mix between the old school and the more modern experience for some contrast? If you can add some women without making it look like blatant tokenism like the BBC does then fair play.

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

It’s obvious why they are changing the line up they are three white men and British can’t be having that 

Could just as easily be cloth cutting, what if the replacements are simply half the price? 

Sky have seen a significant fall in revenue during covid as advertising has been hit. Think it was something like half a billion lost in one quarter. 

Should have got rid of Paul Merson though, terrible pundit who does no research. 

23 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Oh god know, shes horrific. Alex Scott is hands down one of the best pundits about, not just female but best pundits.

I'm one that will disagree with that, I find her really hard to listen to. For me it's an accent thing not a person thing and I find her accent hard to listen to.

For correctness I was the same with Phil Thomson and Clinton Morrison and Jamie Carragher; think I'll stop there 🤣

She is definitely the cover girl for getting females involved in mens football as she's always on one channel or another.

4 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Just someone with a bit of insight into the game? A bit of a mix between the old school and the more modern experience for some contrast? If you can add some women without making it look like blatant tokenism like the BBC does then fair play.

I kind of disagree as the reason that Thomson, Nicholas and Hansen before them needed to go is that the game has moved on so much since the 80's when they played, the same can be said for Lawrenson.

One of the better up and coming ones is Stephen Warnock, retired not that long ago and understands the modern game.

To be a decent pundit in anything you need to be current and to many aren't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

To be a decent pundit in anything you need to be current and to many aren't.

Do you though? Roy Keane is 49 and retired 14 years ago. Still seems to know what he is talking about.

Although I suppose he has had coaching jobs since then so would still be studying the game for that reason.

They'll need someone who understands the rules of the game and how not to apply them through VAR. I would suggest 4 BAME referees who have never played the game and replace Jeff with the complete line-up from the One Show taking turns.

Seriously, these old school white gits knew more about the game as it should be played. Their constant derogatory remarks about VAR probably has more to do with their sackings ..... Bet 365, SkyBet, Dafabet (lol!)

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Do you though? Roy Keane is 49 and retired 14 years ago. Still seems to know what he is talking about.

Although I suppose he has had coaching jobs since then so would still be studying the game for that reason.

Guess I was just generalizing but yes having been involved in the game recently will help his understanding.

As far as I'm aware those that Sky sacked haven't been invover day to day for many years.

On 27/08/2020 at 11:18, Move Klose said:

Oh god know, shes horrific. Alex Scott is hands down one of the best pundits about, not just female but best pundits.

Completely agree! 

On 27/08/2020 at 07:49, Yorkshire Canary said:

Some people for their own agenda like to read too much into certain matters.  It does not matter what job people do eventually you reach your shelf life and need to move on. The three individuals were very talented in their day but that was a very long time ago now, they have had a good run and nothing wrong with letting the younger generation have a go, this should be done ideally on ability nothing else

Yorkshire - perhaps you could have a word with Look East. To be fair they have brought in some new faces over recent months, but typical of the BBC at the same time they have retained many of their old boys. They now seem to have a different reporter for every subject such as Joe Bloggs our "Illegal "Basildon Travellers Site"  reporter.

I've seen a few comments on this thread about diversity and they generally focus on race and gender. It probably is an issue that needs addressing but I also think diversity of thought is important and the current set up has had largely the same experiences in football and thus have a majority of similar views. All are predominantly from 80's and 90's era, played in successful teams (maybe not le Tissier), never played abroad etc.

I don't like how Clinton Morrison has been pigeon holed by his colour. He diversifies the conversation because he has had a different experience in football to the others regardless of race. He has played in League 1 , Championship and Premiership. He played up until relatively recently and seen the Premiership rise in quality (and what it has meant for Championship teams). He worked hard for his big break and took it with both hands. Played in struggling teams and teams that punched above their weight.

This is why it needed changing IMO. While I agree that adding diversity of race and gender would improve the format it has to go hand in hand with diversity of thought.