Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Sky sack Saturday pundits

To add to that, surely the vibe they are going for is to be an extension to the environment you are watching the coverage in.

For that reason they need to keep a bit of informality up like they are down the pub but equally and perhaps more so these days, people are tuning in online or at home hence why they need to freshen things up a bit.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree that he's very likeable, and he is quite amusing at time with his exchanges with the other panellists.

But I just think that a prerequisite for a pundit should be a good standard of English. Merson and other occasional guests like Tony Cottee and Clinton Morrison just don't seen to have it and for that reason, it just dumbs the whole programme down and doesn't send a great message to the public, particularly younger viewers. 

its the "Robbie Savage" role in a way, generally have deluded opinions that stoke interest from triggered viewers yet in respect to both, they both have been there and done it and had great careers so you still listen.

You don't want it too dry and high brow as that just isn't the audience. Save that for the Sunday supplement.

I think Merse does play up to it a bit as well, don't think he's as stupid as he's made out to be.

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

its the "Robbie Savage" role in a way, generally have deluded opinions that stoke interest from triggered viewers yet in respect to both, they both have been there and done it and had great careers so you still listen.

You don't want it too dry and high brow as that just isn't the audience. Save that for the Sunday supplement.

I think Merse does play up to it a bit as well, don't think he's as stupid as he's made out to be.

You're correct with all your points, even though on a personal level I disagree with them.

I personally can't stand Robbie Savage or the 'Savage role'. It doesn't stoke interest for me; it just makes me turn off.

I also agree that Soccer Saturday shouldn't be high brow, but at the same time, the guests should at least speak properly.

As for Merson playing up to his 'court jester' role, I think so too. It's funny to an extent, but as I said before, it still bugs me when he talks like a six-year-old.

thats the culture we're in. Happens with some of my mates, I'll try make a serious point and just get labelled boring. I guess its about reading the room.

9 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

They're getting rid of that.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sunday-supplement-cancelled-by-sky-sports-a4517891.html

Means that some self-important journos won't be boring us on a Sunday, obviously a big blow for the Croissant supplier.

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

thats the culture we're in. Happens with some of my mates, I'll try make a serious point and just get labelled boring. I guess its about reading the room.

It isn't about being interesting/boring or serious/jovial. It's about speaking properly.

You can still be fun and make jokes whilst using a decent standard of English.

I suspect as more come to realise you can watch all of it for free subscriptions are falling off - something that will only continue as unemployment continues to rise

You have to wonder then how the drop in Sky income will impact on their ability to pay the PL

1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

They could do a lot worse than poaching Jermaine Jenas.

I'd prefer to fry him, personally. 

Lots of seasoning too, because he's so bland at speaking, imagine what he'd taste like.

13 hours ago, Tired said:

I wonder how Merson would get on trying to pronounce Przemysław Płacheta

He has two options - 'The Polish Lad' or 'The Boy From Poland'.

He would still manage to get it wrong though  because he's probably looking at the wrong player.

1 hour ago, shaunieboy77 said:

As long as Jeff is the host, that's all that counts.

When he says “ we’ll be back in 60 seconds, you can count them if you want “ I could smack him

Soccer AM is another one that has passed its sell by date. Lads culture isn't funny anymore.

And every Transfer deadline they wheel out Jim White. As if he is some expert at Transfers. And they send someone to stand outside training grounds to prattle on about someone no-one has heard of who isn't signing.

Old white men and chesty birds, Sky have nailed their demographic. 

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Soccer AM is another one that has passed its sell by date. Lads culture isn't funny anymore.

And every Transfer deadline they wheel out Jim White. As if he is some expert at Transfers. And they send someone to stand outside training grounds to prattle on about someone no-one has heard of who isn't signing.

Soccer AM passed its sell by date when Tim Lovejoy left. That was 2007.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

With a spitting image of him?......

Roy Hattersley | Spitting Image Wiki | Fandom

Roy will be taking his place.

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can't recall ever seeing her, to be honest. 

Let me help you wacky. I have found this in my files. 😜

Strictly's Alex Scott's fashionable red carpet dresses: from footballer to  fashionista | HELLO!

40 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Soccer AM passed its sell by date when Tim Lovejoy left. That was 2007.

Deffo 👍

56 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Let me help you wacky. I have found this in my files. 😜

Strictly's Alex Scott's fashionable red carpet dresses: from footballer to  fashionista | HELLO!

That's one of Swindon's ex girlfriends

5 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

If there is a worse pundit than Garth Crooks , please tell me

David Pleat. I don't think he does it anymore but him and Crooks are (were) definitely the worst.