Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Sky sack Saturday pundits

So they've kept Merson, the one that has the linguistic abilities of the average ten-year-old? And the favourite to replace him is Clinton Morrison, who has the same problem?

I can understand that they want to freshen up the lineup, especially at a time when it could easily be criticised for being too male and too white. But they've kept the worst one and arguably the worst guest pundit of the lot is in pole position to join.

The mind boggles.

funny how the "All lives matter" have jumped on this claiming that they have been sacked for being middle aged, White males. They haven't even said who is replacing them yet.

Surely after such a long stint it may just be them freshening things up with some new faces?

Glad Merse is keeping his job despite his recent mental health issues, I'd say he'd be the one I'd keep out of them all. Wonder who the others will be.

They are the 3 worst, at least Merse is entertaining.

All we need now is for the Beeb to sack Lawrenson then we might finally get some pundits who actually understand the game now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

They are the 3 worst, at least Merse is entertaining.

All we need now is for the Beeb to sack Lawrenson then we might finally get some pundits who actually understand the game now.

I guess he is if you find not being able to string a sentence together entertaining.

• Like 1

Those of us who watch it on the wireless will still have Chris and Rob and a rare old assortment of Canary Call pundits.

Viva La Wireless🙃

Edited by nutty nigel

47 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

I guess he is if you find not being able to string a sentence together entertaining.

I do find that mildly amusing yes. 

I wonder how Merson would get on trying to pronounce Przemysław Płacheta

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Those of us who watch it on the wireless will still have Chris and Rob and a rare old assortment of Canary Call pundits.

Viva La Wireless🙃

Not the most diverse line up....😉

5 hours ago, Tired said:

I wonder how Merson would get on trying to pronounce Przemysław Płacheta

Easy, he'd either be the lad from Norwich or Norwich number 11 😂

• Haha 1

Some people for their own agenda like to read too much into certain matters.  It does not matter what job people do eventually you reach your shelf life and need to move on. The three individuals were very talented in their day but that was a very long time ago now, they have had a good run and nothing wrong with letting the younger generation have a go, this should be done ideally on ability nothing else

It has needed freshening up for yonks, no regular female pundits either in addition to the above comments. It's not just Soccer Saturday but still having Souness on for the live games is hardly bringing anything current to the game.Getting someone who still or has recently played or managed shouldn't be difficult. The lack of 'pundit' research is astounding (queue 'he gives it to him who gives it to him' when the have to cover lower league football) and as said above Lawrenson could go too and who can forget Shearer's (I' don't know what they want down there) when Hughton was dismissed. Do your research before you speak..... 

• Like 1

I think it had become a bit stale but I expect this is agenda driven with a lady, a person of colour and Merson with his mental health issues all getting jobs in the panel to tick some boxes. 

I actually quite like Clinton Morrison  as a pundit but personally I prefer the BT version or Final Score (unless Garth Crooks is on it) as I find Gillette Soccer Special a bit clicky and irritating. 

9 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It will be interesting to see if the new line up can achieve the same chemistry, have always enjoyed watching Jeff and the guys on Soccer Saturday.

They said the same thing when McKlintock, Marsh & Best left.

Some presenters can make a difference, anyone who saw Warnocks dismal effort last season will know it's not as easy as it looks, but generally it's the football that makes the programme.

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hopefully they'll sack Carragher as well and replace him with someone who speaks English. 

With a spitting image of him?......

• Haha 1

Good riddance to Le Tisser, if you were ever unfortunate enough to follow him briefly on twitter you'd know he has the intuition of a lamp post. Dinosaur of a man, good riddance.

Thank god. Might make the programme bearable again. These footballing dinosaurs and this programme passed it's best years ago. 

Theres some very good pundits out there, who actually do there research and know about the modern day game.

Sounds harsh but I get the impression that if it wasnt Mersons recent mental health issues that he wouldve gone too.

• Like 1

It's time for a refresh. It will be good to see a more diverse group. I've enjoyed the show but it has become predictable when I think about it. They often just go with a hackneyed top 6 mantra. Will be pleased not to see those grey suits.

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

Good riddance to Le Tisser, if you were ever unfortunate enough to follow him briefly on twitter you'd know he has the intuition of a lamp post. Dinosaur of a man, good riddance.

Also his Southampton bias, pundits shouldn’t be celebrating on air when their team scores, it’s unprofessional and disrespectful. 

• Like 1

Find the panel, whoever is on it, just boring and an old boys pat on the back in the know football jokes institution.

All those "Oooos" "Aaaaahs" are really pathetic and we don't need to hear all the tripe of a build up and missed shot.

I'd rather read Good Houskeeping in the dentist's waiting room.

48 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

From the limited bits and pieces I've seen on UK TV in the last couple of years, I think they should go for Sue Smith to tick the 'female box'. She's easily the best female pundit that I've seen and would probably do quite well on the Soccer Saturday panel.

Oh god know, shes horrific. Alex Scott is hands down one of the best pundits about, not just female but best pundits.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Oh god know, shes horrific. Alex Scott is hands down one of the best pundits about, not just female but best pundits.

I can't recall ever seeing her, to be honest. 

It's all opinion though, isn't it? Two in this thread have said Merson is the worst of the current crop, two have said he's the best. 

50 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Also his Southampton bias, pundits shouldn’t be celebrating on air when their team scores, it’s unprofessional and disrespectful. 

nah, I like the passion and personality tbh. Itd be boring if he just sat there and pretended he didn't care. By all means I want a balanced discussion when more detailed analysis is going on but soccer Saturday needs imbalance, chaos and spontaneity for it to be what it is. Be good if they had 3 presenters and a guest in each week.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can't recall ever seeing her, to be honest. 

It's all opinion though, isn't it? Two in this thread have said Merson is the worst of the current crop, two have said he's the best. 

depends what you're after with Merse. Yes he isn't going to be the one providing clever insight but he's a likable, passionate chap who seems to get his audience and doesn't take himself too seriously. I wouldn't want an entire panel of mersons but he's worth his place. Perhaps keep him for soccer sat but have him nowhere near any detailed post match analysis programs.

• Like 1

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

depends what you're after with Merse. Yes he isn't going to be the one providing clever insight but he's a likable, passionate chap who seems to get his audience and doesn't take himself too seriously. I wouldn't want an entire panel of mersons but he's worth his place. Perhaps keep him for soccer sat but have him nowhere near any detailed post match analysis programs.

I agree that he's very likeable, and he is quite amusing at time with his exchanges with the other panellists.

But I just think that a prerequisite for a pundit should be a good standard of English. Merson and other occasional guests like Tony Cottee and Clinton Morrison just don't seen to have it and for that reason, it just dumbs the whole programme down and doesn't send a great message to the public, particularly younger viewers.