Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Smart TV advice needed

Due to being classified as extremely vulnerable + not being very optimistic about resuming "normal life" for a few months yet, I have decided to splash out on a new Smart TV. The ifollow screenings of the football were part of this. I have read reviews etc and researched it but tbh, still don't understand.

What I want is

• decent clear sound (my hearing is below average)
  • a good picture HD at least
  • Biggish screen, but not massive - 50 in?
  • But most importantly, I want to access the internet more freely via the TV. I have a stripped down version of Youtube with Virgin but it is not as user friendly as using the computer. I have a firestick but it doesn't give me access to the full internet as far as I can see and having to do it with the silly remote control is irritating. Ideally what I'd like is to use a bluetooth keyboard to access the internet fully, from the comfort of the lounge rather than my office
  • The other thing that I should mention is that wifi is not great. I had the router fitted years ago, before wifi became so standard and it is right at the other end of the house. This has been a problem with firestick and sometimes I can watch TV through it because of delays. I have the fastest Virgin package, so its fine in most of the house + I have put in boosters - although I'm not sure if I've done it correctly 😖

Does anybody have any advice or could they point out a firm that can provide this to me (as I'm shielding, we don't go to the shops or have visitors - exciting life 😄 ). I'm reasonably ok at computer software (used to be excellent with Excel) but a complete idiot with the hardware side of things. I even wondered if it would be ok to connect an old laptop to a TV (although this wouldn't get round the wifi issue).

Any advice gratefully received.

Homeplugs may be the best option if WiFi is flaky, alternatively you could run an ethernet cable under the carpeting as another option.

In regards to the TV itself, I'd highly recommend LG, Panasonic or Samsung for the manufacturer.

I particularly like the current deal on the LG 55UN71006LB which is on sale at AO:
https://ao.com/product/55un71006lb-lg-un7100-tv-black-75276-108.aspx

Might be slightly larger than you were thinking, but should tick all the bases and give you a great image and overall package.

Alternatively the PANASONIC TX-50HX580B is another good option to look at in the 50" range.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Due to being classified as extremely vulnerable + not being very optimistic about resuming "normal life" for a few months yet, I have decided to splash out on a new Smart TV. The ifollow screenings of the football were part of this. I have read reviews etc and researched it but tbh, still don't understand.

What I want is

• decent clear sound (my hearing is below average)
  • a good picture HD at least
  • Biggish screen, but not massive - 50 in?
  • But most importantly, I want to access the internet more freely via the TV. I have a stripped down version of Youtube with Virgin but it is not as user friendly as using the computer. I have a firestick but it doesn't give me access to the full internet as far as I can see and having to do it with the silly remote control is irritating. Ideally what I'd like is to use a bluetooth keyboard to access the internet fully, from the comfort of the lounge rather than my office
  • The other thing that I should mention is that wifi is not great. I had the router fitted years ago, before wifi became so standard and it is right at the other end of the house. This has been a problem with firestick and sometimes I can watch TV through it because of delays. I have the fastest Virgin package, so its fine in most of the house + I have put in boosters - although I'm not sure if I've done it correctly 😖

Does anybody have any advice or could they point out a firm that can provide this to me (as I'm shielding, we don't go to the shops or have visitors - exciting life 😄 ). I'm reasonably ok at computer software (used to be excellent with Excel) but a complete idiot with the hardware side of things. I even wondered if it would be ok to connect an old laptop to a TV (although this wouldn't get round the wifi issue).

Any advice gratefully received.

Speak to virgin and they'll upgrade your wifi hub for free.

They don't tend to phone up and ask if you want one, but if you tell them the old one is crap, they'll send you a free upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

HotUKDeals is a great website to watch for TV deals. 

I ended up with a Philips 55 inch TV recommended on there, and I've been very happy.

I know the Hisense TVs are considered good value and worth a look. 

• Thanks 1

I bought a 50 inch Samsung in March, there are probably more techy better ones but I’m pleased with it for what I paid. I’ve watched the game on it today as YouTube is automatically set up on it.

• Thanks 1

in themeantime Mr B

here's a couple from fils were excellent

and with a young Alistair Sim

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I bought a 50 inch Samsung in March, there are probably more techy better ones but I’m pleased with it for what I paid. I’ve watched the game on it today as YouTube is automatically set up on it.

Can you get iFollow on it?

18 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

HotUKDeals is a great website to watch for TV deals. 

I ended up with a Philips 55 inch TV recommended on there, and I've been very happy.

I know the Hisense TVs are considered good value and worth a look. 

Can you get the internet on it?

I just plug my laptop into a TV, doesn't even have to be smart, using a long HDMI cable, you can sit on the sofa and do everything on the laptop and have the benefit of a big screen.  Our main TV is so called smart, but really, because of the stupid way you have to use the remote control to get internet, it is easier just to use the laptop and get everything you can get with a smart tv and more.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

They don't tend to phone up and ask if you want one, but if you tell them the old one is crap, they'll send you a free upgrade. 

I did a couple of years ago. TBF on Virgin, I think the problem is the location. It's in my office upstairs at the back of the house and the signal will have to go through 3 walls before arriving at the lounge downstairs at the front of the house.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I just plug my laptop into a TV, doesn't even have to be smart, using a long HDMI cable, you can sit on the sofa and do everything on the laptop and have the benefit of a big screen.  Our main TV is so called smart, but really, because of the stupid way you have to use the remote control to get internet, it is easier just to use the laptop and get everything you can get with a smart tv and more.

So am I right that in effect the picture comes to your laptop, which is then shown on the TV?

42 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Homeplugs may be the best option if WiFi is flaky, alternatively you could run an ethernet cable under the carpeting as another option.

I can't see my wife going for cables under the carpet 🤐 Are homeplugs signal boosters? 

23 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Virgin also offer an "expert" service - if you explain your situation they might even do it for nothing. You won't get a better broadband speed but they could maybe improve the wifi coverage. Alternatively Sevenoaks offer a full at home set up service, as do John Lewis, if you buy a TV from them.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I can't see my wife going for cables under the carpet 🤐 Are homeplugs signal boosters? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PL1000-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Homeplug/dp/B01BD9TFI4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=plug+in+internet&qid=1598470442&sr=8-3

I use them my self; much better than wifi.

Plug them into your mains sockets and then plug one into your router and the other into your TV via some RJ45 cable. Sorted.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I normally do the same. As long as you've got a recent-ish TV and laptop, they all have HDMI ports these days. Plug and play!

OTBC

Boosters aren't great but to get them working as best as possible takes a bit of trial and error on where you put them. A metre either side can make a huge difference. 

Id be happy to chat you through getting them as best positioned as possible, feel free to PM me. We can run speed tests to see what difference we're making and get things as good as they can be.

As for TV, do you have a budget in mind?

I have what it appears is now the previous generation of this TV: https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd65xh9005-2020-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-android-tv-65-inch-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-youview-dolby-atmos-black/p4929734

With android built in you dont need to bother about firesticks etc as all apps like Netflix and prime video are installed and you have access to the Google play store for pretty much anything you'd want media or streaming wise.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Badger said:

I did a couple of years ago. TBF on Virgin, I think the problem is the location. It's in my office upstairs at the back of the house and the signal will have to go through 3 walls before arriving at the lounge downstairs at the front of the house.

Virgin app will check wifi signal in each room and suggest what can improve weak areas.

Search 'virgin media connect' in playstore or appstore 

• Thanks 1

I am delighted with my Hisense 50 inch. Wasn't sure about it at first but using it is good and the picture 4K Ultra HD is great. You must have at least 50 inch to get full Ultra HD.

I do have fibre optic coming straight into the BT Hub and Sky box, all within 6 inches of each other so I can use ethernet cables for greater quality. BT recently upgraded my speed to 150mbps. Also as vulnerable or elderly, BT would prioritise you.

i am looking forward to using iFollow on this set up.

Many apps were already on the TV but I have added others such as Kodi

But as others have said, HotUKDeals is one to watch for the best deals although cashback deals such as Quidco are worth watching as well.

Good luck with your choice Badger.

• Thanks 1

I've got an LG & the browser is a feckin nightmare. It's got a cursor which creeps around the screen, & you have to use up/down left/right on the virtual keyboard to select symbols. It's incredibly slow. And if you accidentally hit the remote key above the right shift  (which I inevitably do at some point) ... back to square one you go! Grrrrrrr.

I cannot in all conscience recommend it. Telly's good though.

46 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

I use my my mobile phone for ifollow and then cast it to my samsung tv.

I can't work casting out - I can cast some things but not others - for some reason the rectangle symbol doesn't appear on all Youtube videos

Thanks for all the advice - I have run out of reactions to thank some of you individually  - but much appreciated. 👍

2 hours ago, Badger said:
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

So am I right that in effect the picture comes to your laptop, which is then shown on the TV?

Absolutely. You can literally sit in your armchair and do everything you want to looking at the big screen instead of looking down at the laptop all the time. 

I've also got a remote keyboard and mouse for my laptop so often all I have with me in my armchair are a keyboard and mouse and the laptop is down by the TV. 

Also when watching a film or when I'm on iplayer or a stream using my laptop, I have another small laptop (cost less than £200) that I can do other stuff on at the same time.

The smart tv's are all very well, but in my experience, iplayer and the like are easier to control using the laptop.

• Thanks 1

If you’re having trouble with your WiFi on your fire stick you can get an adapter to run an Ethernet cable directly to it

28D95B17-69FB-44A1-BB99-9D59964258BF.png

Edited by vlad666
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PL1000-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Homeplug/dp/B01BD9TFI4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=plug+in+internet&qid=1598470442&sr=8-3

I use them my self; much better than wifi.

Plug them into your mains sockets and then plug one into your router and the other into your TV via some RJ45 cable. Sorted.

OTBC

I have to say my experience with Powerline technology (AKA Homeplug) hasn’t been good. I suspect this might be because I bought cheap Chinese adapters (TPLink), or possibly because there’s something up with my home wiring that affects it. On the flip side, lots of people find it works well for them. One alternative would be to set up a mesh network, which works a little like a mobile phone network with repeaters placed around your house (e.g. Google Nest, Netgear Nighthawk) but these are expensive.

On another question you asked, if you want good sound quality, you’re unlikely to get this with any modern TV, simply because they are so thin and you can’t get any decent resonance from the cabinet. You’ll need to use an external speaker of some sort - soundbar/soundbase or similar. If you do this, I would strongly recommend you only look at those with an HDMI ARC port. This means it turns on and off with the TV, sound is automatically routed to the speaker, the TV sound is muted and your TV remote control still controls volume. Otherwise you’ll be forever mucking around with multiple remote controls.

If you’ve got the budget, this is an absolute bargain at the moment, I bought one six months ago (for more than it costs now) and am still impressed at how good it sounds: https://www.richersounds.com/clearance-bargains/in-store/61/cambridge-yoyo-large-light-grey.html?instore. It’s not a traditional soundbar designed for TV, more meant as a general wireless speaker, but would work well if used via its ARC socket, plus it looks good too.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Thanks 1