Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Fixture congestion

Now, there are no doubt some on here who are thinking that we now have too many players.

However looking at the fixture list (something that makes for good late night reading) I see we have periods of extreme congestion, as in

October - seven games in 32 days

Dec/Jan - nine games in 32 days

Feb/Mar - seven games in 21 days

this presumes no further league cup games, or postponed games having to be fitted in

the concern then is we have periods of having 3 or 4 weeks of Saturday and midweek games - which will need a strong squad to be able to rotate players and cover injuries

I think we now have that squad

Edited by Bill

I agree. Other teams will have very similar schedules but, for example, look at the 2 teams we have put out, for both halves of the two German games, and they are both quite strong.

Obviously depends on who else we will sell (and replace) but we are looking in good shape. 

My thoughts exactly CC

There is still Hanley and Byram to return so on numbers we could lose Godfrey and one of Aarons/Lewis and still be well served

However one thing is certain and that is there will be others out long term as the season progresses, so we need strength, not just numbers, but strength in depth.

Those concentrated sessions will stretch clubs with a lesser quality squad.

The plan certainly looks to be to steamroller our way back to the PL, and I can see us doing it with the squad we have