Add ons what add ons unlikely to play for England, 2 years not 100 appearances, 20 goals yes but, promotion main provision for the £2,4m.

His style will not be difficult to accomodate surely we can hoof it with the best when required.  Maybe he will be better than that.  His physical presence can only be beneficial in helping out at corners certainly need help there.

Two major things we got found out on last season... Out muscled and lack of pace... Our signings seem to be trying to address that... Happy with Hugill. Well done Webber and co.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

And that automatically makes him likely to be as good as Holt? I've watched Hugill quite a few times; he is a million miles away from what Holt was for us. I hope I'm wrong and he gets three consecutive player of the seasons for us. He won't though.

No, but it makes those saying "he isn't in the same class as Holt" look a bit silly.

Hugill's record at 28 is better than that of Holt when we signed him at 28.

Hugill's career is almost identical to Holt but always one division higher: Hugill has done well in the third tier, OK in the second, and not much in the first whereas Holt did well in the fourth, OK in the third and not much in the second.

I'm struggling to see how this "automatically makes" Hugill inferior to Holt. 

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

He is not anywhere near the same class as Iwan or Holt. Just because he puts himself about, it doesn't make him good enough. Anyone who expects anything close to Holt will be massively disappointed. 

I genuinely hope that he proves me wrong and contributes massively to our success, but I do not believe that is at all likely.

Dude, check out Holt's career up to the age of 28. It's actually quite common for target men to have their peak years 28-32. Think of Howard, Holt, Murray and that Spanish guy at Swansea. 

Welcome to City Jordan Hugill. This feels like a much needed and shrewd move, so well done SW and co. for getting him here.

I notice from the photo gallery of Jordan at Colney that he seems to have a good laugh on him. Get him alongside Timmy Klose in the same room and there could be some big rip roaring yarns me thinks.

A bit more feedback on JH. This time from a decent source who has known him for a long time.... 

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

And that automatically makes him likely to be as good as Holt? I've watched Hugill quite a few times; he is a million miles away from what Holt was for us. I hope I'm wrong and he gets three consecutive player of the seasons for us. He won't though.

I'm just curious - of your 762 posts, how many of those are slagging off Hugill? Since he appeared as a possibility, you've been like a terrier with a bone. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm not siding with the person you are quoting here, I like this signing a lot.

But actually a lot of Forest fans will say that Grant Holt was their best player in League One and they can't believe that Calderwood, a manager that they were very glad to see the back of, played Grant Holt on the right wing after promotion.

Possibly they're the sensible fans with a bit about them then. All I know is the amount of shocked Forest fans on social media when Holty had the seasons he did with us.

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Possibly they're the sensible fans with a bit about them then. All I know is the amount of shocked Forest fans on social media when Holty had the seasons he did with us.

Think they were shocked that he scored the goals that he did in the Premier League, but wasn't everybody to a degree?

Grant Holt punched above his weight.

Thing I like about Hugill is that he's come from very humble beginnings like Morison and Holt, and will feel like he still has a point to prove, perhaps to West Ham in particular who only gave him 3 games! 

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Two major things we got found out on last season... Out muscled and lack of pace... Our signings seem to be trying to address that... Happy with Hugill. Well done Webber and co.

Are you feeling OK? 😉

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Think they were shocked that he scored the goals that he did in the Premier League, but wasn't everybody to a degree?

Grant Holt punched above his weight.

Thing I like about Hugill is that he's come from very humble beginnings like Morison and Holt, and will feel like he still has a point to prove, perhaps to West Ham in particular who only gave him 3 games! 

Three sub appearances at that. 

Seems he was mainly a victim of Moyes leaving and Pellegrini arriving. 

6 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Dude, check out Holt's career up to the age of 28. It's actually quite common for target men to have their peak years 28-32. Think of Howard, Holt, Murray and that Spanish guy at Swansea. 

Add Rickie Lambert to that list. 

I think this is why the club has been reluctant to set Carlton Morris free! Fear that he'll be quality in a few years!

Michu definitely wasn't a target man though, more like a false nine. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Hugill was well liked at QPR, he bust his gut to do well for them even though he was a West Ham player. He seems really made up to be at NCFC to do well for the club and prove himself. He likes to put himself about to so that should be entertaining.

12 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Looks like we may finally have found a grant holt replacement

but I will hold back my judgement until I see how well he can grow a moustache 

Same.

Pleased with this signing though. 

Having a target man doesn’t mean you have to hoof the ball up in the air to him.

There were times last season when we struggled to get out of our half and allowed pressure to build up until we inevitably conceded. Pukki’s great but not at holding the ball up. It just comes straight back.

Hopefully Hugill knows a few of Holty’s moves and can play with his back to goal on the half way line. Hold it up and bring others into play and win a few free kicks.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Having a target man doesn’t mean you have to hoof the ball up in the air to him.

There were times last season when we struggled to get out of our half and allowed pressure to build up until we inevitably conceded. Pukki’s great but not at holding the ball up. It just comes straight back.

Hopefully Hugill knows a few of Holty’s moves and can play with his back to goal on the half way line. Hold it up and bring others into play and win a few free kicks.

Not forgetting that Onel looks to be improving, Placheta could be a weapon, Dowell could prove to be a very tidy acquisition, Josh Martin will have a point to prove, we still have Marco to bustle around, deep midfield will hopefully tighten up this year, as it stands Buendia & Cantwell are still here and all of this in a lower division. It does seem that we might have a stronger & more balanced squad this year!

1 hour ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Good post hope your right I, but I'm excited by hugill and do think he can be grant holt mk2.

14 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I've seen Hugill play semi regularly for Middlesbrough and he was awful for them. It would have to be some sort of miracle transformation to make him even 50% of what Holt was for us.

I will support him once signed and I want him to succeed, however, that does not change the fact I do not believe he will be anything more than the donkey I've seen play for Middlesbrough.

I also watched him while he was at Middlesbrough and thought exactly the same - very average player indeed, not too far off with " donkey". But the goals he scored for QPR last season has him looking completely a different player. On that video package he looked better than Pukki (in terms scoring goals). His goals record was abysmal until last season. Lets hope last season was not a one-off. Perhaps he performs well with better players around him (Eze) - so could do well playing with our creative players. Holt may have been ineffective with most of his clubs until suddenly someone put the likes of Hoolahan next to him ! If we supply him with the service from midfield - he may surprise us all and score a hatful of goals. 

So, no pressure on him (comparing him to Holly 🙄🙄). Let’s wait and see what he gives us.

Maybe we could have done with him last season but I suppose us being Premier League he would have cost a lot more.

Looks like good business to me.

Back up striker a hard position to fill.

What criteria would you have?

Not too expensive

Credible ability to push your main striker

A goal scoring record at your current level 

Willing to actually sign for you

Something to prove

Within your wage structure

A good character 

A good character if not playing much 

Good enough that he could step in if injuries occur

Ideally some resale value 

At least moveable on promotion 

Either a direct replacement for your main striker or something very different 

A change up option from the bench late in games that could make a difference

Parma 

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Back up striker a hard position to fill.

What criteria would you have?

Not too expensive

Credible ability to push your main striker

A goal scoring record at your current level 

Willing to actually sign for you

Something to prove

Within your wage structure

A good character 

A good character if not playing much 

Good enough that he could step in if injuries occur

Ideally some resale value 

At least moveable on promotion 

Either a direct replacement for your main striker or something very different 

A change up option from the bench late in games that could make a difference

Parma 

I will make a prediction now so not to be accused of hindsight later  I think Hugill will emerge as main striker this season with Idah as number two. Pukki, I feel hasn't shaken off his lack of confidence. 

With the quality of players and speedy wingers around Hugill he is going to have an amazing season in the mould of Grant Holt. We will be tweaking our style a bit to accommodate Hugills strengths. 

I am entirely neutral on this signing. Scoring record doesn't excite but for £5 million you can't  expect too much.