It seems our interest in Hugill centres around the idea he’s a physical threat? but if wiki is to be believed he’s 183cm and 64kg?

surely these physical stats are incorrect?

I would guesstimate that was my size and weight when I was 13 years old

2 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

It seems our interest in Hugill centres around the idea he’s a physical threat? but if wiki is to be believed he’s 183cm and 64kg?

He's 6ft and 14 stone according to my very short ammount of research

He signed a new two-and-a-half-year contract in October 2015.[28] He ended the 2015–16 campaign with five goals in 32 games. He continued to impress in the 2016–17 season, and was given another new two-and-a-half-year contract in September 2016.[29]The club rejected an offer of £1.5 million from Ipswich Town in January 2017.[30] He ended the 2016–17 season with 13 goals in 47 appearances to end up as Preston's top-scorer.[31] He started the 2017–18 season in good form and was linked with a number of clubs in the summer transfer window. He handed in a transfer request on 29 August 2017.[32]

😂

• Haha 1

I still cant get my head around what people who don't like this want? I mean, we already have an extremely prolific championship striker on the books in Pukki, a youngster looking to prove his spot in Idah and now we have that physical element we so desperately need. Who else is available with Championship experience, isn't 30+ and would cost under 10 million? 

I'm mainly pleased that the club really is getting into the groove of giving Farke options not just in personal but also options in terms of style. I hope 9/10 we tear teams apart with the style we know Farke for, but that 1 other game against a team trying to park it we can now mix it up and get physical with them.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

You can see in the goals video earlier in the thread that he's quite a physical player.

9 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Pukki will be fine next season. 20 plus goals easy. 

Hopefully. But he seemed terribly out of sorts during the second half of last season with no confidence whatsoever, and if the hangover continues then we need either Hugill or Idah to step up. Hugill's goalscoring record is OK but he isn't prolific, and Idah has never scored a league goal. If Pukki doesn't recapture his previous we could lack goals.

Obviously every YouTube compilation makes the player look like a world beater but his highlights reel does suggest that he’s the sort of player we are missing. Looks strong and determined to get on the end of every ball.

Should definitely gives us another option and a ‘plan b” if we need to change during the game or dependent on opposition.

i also hope the signing means we have off loaded Drmic (if not it’s a pretty clear message to his agent to get things sorted!)

Looks like we may finally have found a grant holt replacement

but I will hold back my judgement until I see how well he can grow a moustache 

I'm reasonably encouraged by this one primarily because i think it addresses a clear weakness in the squad at present and gives us a physical type of player that is completely different to what we already have in our forward options. We now have 2 or 3 out and our wingers so Hugill gives us the option to play more orthodox wide players and get crosses into the box rather than the more narrow style that is our Plan A. 

Provided that he's coming in place of Drmic and not Pukki!

• Like 2

This looks a good signing at a fair price.

My only slight concern is will the players be able to adapt to a different style when needed, particularly during games ? The Farke system has been relentlessly drummed into the squad and has been pretty inflexible up to now.

Maybe Farke does have a Plan ‘ B ‘ after all.

55 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

He's built like a rugby league player. Looks like he should be playing for SheffU.

I think Sheff U is the interesting comparison. They had many options up front to change the type of attack and all seemed to score goals. 

58 minutes ago, duke63 said:

He signed a new two-and-a-half-year contract in October 2015.[28] He ended the 2015–16 campaign with five goals in 32 games. He continued to impress in the 2016–17 season, and was given another new two-and-a-half-year contract in September 2016.[29]The club rejected an offer of £1.5 million from Ipswich Town in January 2017.[30] He ended the 2016–17 season with 13 goals in 47 appearances to end up as Preston's top-scorer.[31] He started the 2017–18 season in good form and was linked with a number of clubs in the summer transfer window. He handed in a transfer request on 29 August 2017.[32]

😂

Can't be true, the paupers haven't been able to afford such a fee since the days of George Burley 

Jordan Hugill is a quality player at this level, delighted if we've sealed this one.

I'd be willing to bet my last tenner that he'd be more useful in the league above than Drmic as well. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

11 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Don't know if this has been posted:

A big man who can play a bit, what's not to like.

Some of his goals very holtesque.

I'd be over the moon with this signing, old school number 9's have traditionally thrived at Norwich. Holt, Roberts, Sutton, Ashton, come on Hugill make yourself a legend somewhere.

If this season is anything like the last 2 then he's only going to be playing now and then, à la Jordan Rhodes. Can't see Farke starting with 2 strikers very often, if ever, and unless Pukki carries on his poor post-Lockdown form, surely he'll be starting. But Hugill seems like a good player to be that Rhodes style substitute, so fair enough. As others have said, will be good to have someone who looks like they can get on the end of a cross. Now we just need someone on the pitch who can take a decent cross (Vrancic seems about the only one).

• Like 1

I'd quite like to see Hugill here.....He shows a bit o' tenacity and looks a belligerent batterin' battlin' bruiser that'll hopefully give opposition defences something to think and worry about....I'll forever remember Granty Holty's powerfully headed goal at the Kop End against Liverpool at Anfield quite a few years ago in 2011....I was watching that it in my local pub and the place erupted and everyone went absolute four king mental.....If Hugill can put himself about and emulate any moments like that, then he'll do for me.... 

18 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Interestingly Paddy’s story put up last night about an imminent signing has now disappeared to be replaced by a Dave Freezer piece about negotiating a £5m deal.

I wonder if it isn’t as cut and dried as Paddy implied ?

It's still there.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-jordan-hugill-west-ham-transfer-deal-1-6805470

Good move for Hugill. Going to a club that likes to play football, get it forward and score more goals than they concede (in the Championship). Also among the favourites for promotion. At the point in his career where he is hitting his peak he has chosen wisely to go to Norwich over other Championship clubs. 

Hugill may feel he has a point to prove, battling to make the main striker position his very own. Still expect Teemu to be number one yet rumblings of "here for now" make me wonder. Unless Farke goes with two strikers (can't see this as a main tactic but wouldn't be unhappy if he did).

He is not anywhere near the same class as Iwan or Holt. Just because he puts himself about, it doesn't make him good enough. Anyone who expects anything close to Holt will be massively disappointed. 

I genuinely hope that he proves me wrong and contributes massively to our success, but I do not believe that is at all likely.

If this is what Farke & Webber want in our limits, which also needs to be considered, then great. But let’s not get carried away by calling him the new Grant Holt, Holty stepped up to a different level once with us under Lambert.

Also this statement from above sums it up, great at this level! Now I understand we need to get out of this league and we need three strikers, he’s proven not to be anywhere near premiership level, so why not loan him? If we go up great then get rid and improve on him, if not then decide to buy! Might not be available for loan I suppose, or the fee could be high, but not 5 million.

Like I said great if that’s what we need, but strange one to me, spending a vast amount of our budget on a very non Norwich under Webbertype signing.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

He is not anywhere near the same class as Iwan or Holt. Just because he puts himself about, it doesn't make him good enough. Anyone who expects anything close to Holt will be massively disappointed. 

I genuinely hope that he proves me wrong and contributes massively to our success, but I do not believe that is at all likely.

I guess the point that people are making is Holt wasn't 'class' when we first signed him. He was a journeyman striker who only really done well at League Two level before us.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

If this is what Farke & Webber want in our limits, which also needs to be considered, then great. But let’s not get carried away by calling him the new Grant Holt, Holty stepped up to a different level once with us under Lambert.

Also this statement from above sums it up, great at this level! Now I understand we need to get out of this league and we need three strikers, he’s proven not to be anywhere near premiership level, so why not loan him? If we go up great then get rid and improve on him, if not then decide to buy! Might not be available for loan I suppose, or the fee could be high, but not 5 million.

Like I said great if that’s what we need, but strange one to me, spending a vast amount of our budget on a very non Norwich under Webbertype signing.

I'd like to know how you know what our budget is???

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I guess the point that people are making is Holt wasn't 'class' when we first signed him. He was a journeyman striker who only really done well at League Two level before us.

I've seen Hugill play semi regularly for Middlesbrough and he was awful for them. It would have to be some sort of miracle transformation to make him even 50% of what Holt was for us.

I will support him once signed and I want him to succeed, however, that does not change the fact I do not believe he will be anything more than the donkey I've seen play for Middlesbrough.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

I've seen Hugill play semi regularly for Middlesbrough and he was awful for them. It would have to be some sort of miracle transformation to make him even 50% of what Holt was for us.

I will support him once signed and I want him to succeed, however, that does not change the fact I do not believe he will be anything more than the donkey I've seen play for Middlesbrough.

Ask Forest fans what they thought of Holt.

I have no idea if he'll be any good but Holt isn't a good example to use in your argument because he'd never performed well above the third tier of English football until he came to us.

• Like 2

I hope this is true.

Hugill gives us the scope to play 442 plus he can play as an alternative striker to Pukki in the 4231. 

With just Idah and Pukki we were definitely short of options and if either got injured our season would have been in jeopardy. 

Hopefully Hugill will add a lot to what is already an exciting attacking side.    

Just now, hogesar said:

Ask Forest fans what they thought of Holt.

I have no idea if he'll be any good but Holt isn't a good example to use in your argument because he'd never performed well above the third tier of English football until he came to us.

Holt was played on the wing repeatedly for Forest. I'm not the one using Holt, many other people before me have and I just commented that I do not believe that he will be anywhere near that and to even make that comparison is inviting disappointment.