I don't know if anyone has bothered to look at the  goals Hugill has scored on you tube, but several of them are from through balls similar to the goals Pukki scores, so it is not so very different from what we do anyway. Where Hugill has advantage is in his heading.

When Pukki first played for us it was up front with Jordan Rhodes, with Pukki on the left side.  With Hugill and Idah at the club, two up front is a real option for this season.

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

This looks a good signing at a fair price.

My only slight concern is will the players be able to adapt to a different style when needed, particularly during games ? The Farke system has been relentlessly drummed into the squad and has been pretty inflexible up to now.

Maybe Farke does have a Plan ‘ B ‘ after all.

To be fair,it does'nt take a lot of planning to launch a ball from the back four up to a unit up front and to get a couple of players up and around him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Holt was played on the wing repeatedly for Forest. I'm not the one using Holt, many other people before me have and I just commented that I do not believe that he will be anywhere near that and to even make that comparison is inviting disappointment.

Clearly emulating Holt is setting a very high and probably unrealistic bar. 

But Hugill is a player that so far has been more successful than Holt was at the same career point. Hugill is entering his peak years and should get better still, whilst playing for Norwich! And that's on the back of a 15 goal haul for a mid table championship side. 

I'm really not sure what's not to like? It's nice to sign decent players at the peak of their careers giving their all for the club. We're showing a bit of ambition - Buying what's good for the club now and not a player with a future fee in mind. 

Edited by Il Pirata

1 hour ago, Indy said:

If this is what Farke & Webber want in our limits, which also needs to be considered, then great. But let’s not get carried away by calling him the new Grant Holt, Holty stepped up to a different level once with us under Lambert.

Also this statement from above sums it up, great at this level! Now I understand we need to get out of this league and we need three strikers, he’s proven not to be anywhere near premiership level, so why not loan him? If we go up great then get rid and improve on him, if not then decide to buy! Might not be available for loan I suppose, or the fee could be high, but not 5 million.

Like I said great if that’s what we need, but strange one to me, spending a vast amount of our budget on a very non Norwich under Webbertype signing.

Or alternatively, we buy him for a low price (which £5m is for a 15 goal championship striker), he helps us get promoted, then we sell him as a good championship striker to a team with more money than sense and turn a profit on him as well...

23 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Sky sports have just confirmed that Hugill has signed permanently on a deal until 2023

A quote from Hugill “I’m a big, physical presence who will batter a defender around,so quite old school, but I’m also a very powerful striker”

Having a physical presence like Hugill up top also means we can play a less physical player in the number 10 role,  if Farke so wishes. Stiepermann and Mclean when he played there were both consistently challenging for headers from Krul's kicks.

Reported as £2.6m upfront with addons - presumably the main one being promotion; seems a pretty decent deal to me and a far cry from some of the figures mentioned.

Definitely far better deal at 2.6 million, if that’s the striker they want in our range then brilliant, look forward to seeing what impact he has. Can only be good to have options and far more happy to see Hugill then rely on Drmic, hope we can move him on now.

,I think this is a real good signing ,15 goals last season for a bottom half championship side is decent and from the YouTube vid ,it looks like he scores different type of goals ,but a few with his head too ,good price too ,grant holt mark too,did not have high expectations for this season but I have now.otbc😁

Our version of Mitrovic perhaps, and look what he did to Champs defences last season. Looks like good business to me - adding Gibson or one other central defender would complete it.

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

He is not anywhere near the same class as Iwan or Holt. Just because he puts himself about, it doesn't make him good enough. Anyone who expects anything close to Holt will be massively disappointed. 

I genuinely hope that he proves me wrong and contributes massively to our success, but I do not believe that is at all likely.

Hugill is 28, as was Holt when we signed him.

Hugill's career to date easily betters that of Holt at the same point.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Hugill is 28, as was Holt when we signed him.

Hugill's career to date easily betters that of Holt at the same point.

And that automatically makes him likely to be as good as Holt? I've watched Hugill quite a few times; he is a million miles away from what Holt was for us. I hope I'm wrong and he gets three consecutive player of the seasons for us. He won't though.

Is anyone actually suggesting he’ll be as good as Grant Holt? My take from the thread is that he’s a similar type of player, nothing more. 

The type of player we've been missing for a while. 

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

And that automatically makes him likely to be as good as Holt? I've watched Hugill quite a few times; he is a million miles away from what Holt was for us. I hope I'm wrong and he gets three consecutive player of the seasons for us. He won't though.

We might be pleasantly surprised. Shall we just wait and see.

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Sometime players take time to develop ,take pukki for example he was voted worst Celtic player ever and was a journeyman with not a great goalscoring record ,maybe you watched hugill a few years ago before he developed into what he is now.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Is anyone actually suggesting he’ll be as good as Grant Holt? My take from the thread is that he’s a similar type of player, nothing more. 

The type of player we've been missing for a while. 

He is kind of player that causes a nuisance to defenders, always harassing. He is mobile and strong. I don't much worry about the Grant Holt comparisons. He is his own person. If anything he reminds me of a Cameron Jerome type...busy, a handful and if not scoring, is creating space for others in taking defenders away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Not disagreeing with your statement he is not in the same class as Holt - honestly, I've not watched enough of Hugill to pass judgement.... but to say you've watched Hugill and therefore he isn't as good as Holt sort of ignores the point that Holt turned into what he was with us. If you'd watched Holt a year or two before he signed for us (when Calderwood had him playing on the right at Forest for example), would you have said he was going to turn into a player that was good enough to score 17 in the Prem? There's a reason we were able to sign Holt for 400k in League One - his career before us was significantly poorer than he was for us.... I'm not saying Hugill is the same, but surely you have to acknowledge the possibility that he COULD turn into that for us?

• Like 1

He’s another option to Pukki and Idah, and gives us more threat up top.

After some early negative thoughts on the recruitment, things are starting to take shape, admittedly still wish for a centre back or two, and as yet nobody has departed, but certainly don’t think its all done yet.

Fingers crossed

35 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

And that automatically makes him likely to be as good as Holt?

I'd take a new Steve Morison if the alternative is a Drmic. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

To be fair,it does'nt take a lot of planning to launch a ball from the back four up to a unit up front and to get a couple of players up and around him.

Paradoxically, a bit of that is something we could use if an opposing team is having a lot of success with a high press. Sure, we prefer to keep the ball and tidily play through the middle, but if that's practically all we do, we become easier to pick off. Premiership teams picked up on that and forced a lot of turnovers in dangerous places as a result.

Factor in a decided lack of physicality up top and the ball wouldn't stick up there for too long, so the defence was repeatedly put back under pressure. Sometimes simplicity has a genius all of its own.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Ask Forest fans what they thought of Holt.

I have no idea if he'll be any good but Holt isn't a good example to use in your argument because he'd never performed well above the third tier of English football until he came to us.

I'm not siding with the person you are quoting here, I like this signing a lot.

But actually a lot of Forest fans will say that Grant Holt was their best player in League One and they can't believe that Calderwood, a manager that they were very glad to see the back of, played Grant Holt on the right wing after promotion.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"why arent we signing players?"

"Oh no we are signing players"

this fanbase confuses me sometimes

Schrödinger's fanbase 🤔

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"why arent we signing players?"

"Oh no we are signing players"

this fanbase confuses me sometimes

I meant to put a smiling face 😄, I wasn't too excited the other day but to be fair he's actually pretty decent and scores different goals to what we're used to. Maybe farke is going to have a proper plan b

We certainly looked outmuscled last season and many of us thought that was one of our downfalls. So we have brought in someone who rather than shy away from a challenge actually looks forward to them.

Despite our passing game there is still room for a different approach when needed. 

Last season when Pukki dried up we didn't have an adequate replacement especially in the EPL. Now it appears we have one for the Championship. And that the league we are going to be playing in.